Robust debate - Technical discussions.

DHutch

Featured Posts

As others have said, the discussion clarifies points, understanding and learning. I prefer learning this way, rather than having the answer presented to me without my necessarily understanding why it is the right answer.

I don't know if you were referring to my Q&A proposal, but if so - I certainly didn't intend to imply that answers should come without explanation. A good explanation is surely a key part of a good answer to any question.

Its a good idea but there's an amount of work involved in collating the info which becomes somewhat spread out in a forum thread, into a more concice, readable, manageable "technical article" which is genuinely useful. Basically a technical editor job. Also, whilst we could use the forum software to 'publish' them, its something more suited to eg a content management system or a wiki.

None of the above is an insurmountable issue however, and would be a useful addition to the website.

The site does have an FAQ section, and there was a push to get articles into it at one point but it is yet to really take off. A wiki site would be a great addition im my mind however, obviously assuming people are willing to spend time writing articles.

Link: http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showforum=48

Anyone interested in having a canalworld.net wiki site?

Daniel

That's quite an idea (says he with no tech skills to offer...). A wiki with editors approved by the mods as being qualified in the relevant areas would be an excellent resource.

If we can't agree on a simple answer to a simple technical question then I don't see how we could agree on the contents of a wiki, and it would then be a case of someone having to decide that x knew what he was talking about whilst y didn't.

I think it would depend on the topic, but while you cant solve one-off issues with one, a wiki page on say 'the basics of wiring up an inverter' could collect a good picture of the sort of things you need to do and why?

How about starting to compile an FAQ covering the most basic problems?
Could do a lite FAQ first, then when all areas are covered make it more in depth.

So for example, the sub section on water pumps could cover:
- Which pump should I buy?
- How to replace an existing pump?
- My pump is leaking, what do I do?
- My pump won't start (or stop!) what should I do.
- How do I fix poor flow/pump cycling and other performance problems?

I ran a wiki for a while with around 20,000 members accessing it reasonably regularly. It is a HUGE amount of work to keep it updated and relevant. Those who say yes need to appreciate what a time-suck it is and be prepated to commit the necessary resources.

I think it's a great idea, with the above caveat.

I ran a wiki for a while with around 20,000 members accessing it reasonably regularly. It is a HUGE amount of work to keep it updated and relevant.

Isn't the idea of a Wiki that those 20,000 members keep it updated and relevant themselves.

Isn't the idea of a Wiki that those 20,000 members keep it updated and relevant themselves.

Yep, but every new addition has to be vetted, possibly re-worded, corrected etc, as quickly as possible after the content has been added. If there are a lot of amendments and additions (and there were) it becomes almost a full time job.

Yep, but every new addition has to be vetted, possibly re-worded, corrected etc, as quickly as possible after the content has been added. If there are a lot of amendments and additions (and there were) it becomes almost a full time job.

Absolutely the point is that the bulk of content is generated by members, but you have to remember that even the forum has a team of eight or so people giving probably around a days worth of input each day.

Wikipedia has a significant team behind it keeping it all together and as the nice and well presented piece of work you see.

Daniel

The Wiki will never have all the answers. When I ran the wiki that supported a Google Group then answers on the group would sometimes go along the lines of "I suggest you do x,y,z, but if you look on the wiki there is an entry by George that looks at the issue in depth. Come back to us with any specific questions after you've taken a look at it."

However, many questions will be too specific to have a wiki entry that answers them completely, so I wouldn't think it would take away from discussion, I think it would complement it well.

Here's another scenario. Let's say there's an entry about Battery Monitoring; a list of pros and cons of the BMV, BM-1/2, SmartGauge, Ammeter, Voltmeter, Hydrometer, Refractometer etc. This could be a useful entry devoid of marketing hype, simply explaining in simple language what each one does and doesn't do. I could perfectly envision someone posting "I've taken a look at the wiki about monitors but for my situation I'm not sure which would be best..." The poster is still looking for advice just as he is today.

He's just better informed when he asks the question.

• Greenie 1

You need to avoid making a lot more work for "the management" which never gets used ! There is already soooo much information within the site and it just keeps growing - does it get archived off eventually ? Also, there is already a FAQ section but human nature means it is easier for people to post a new item than trawl through pages and pages maybe never finding the answer they require. A common complaint is a lack of detail on posts, maybe some guidance on asking technical ( or just electrical ? ) questions could be provided with a simple checklist :-

Battery bank size and type

Inverter size and type

MPPT type

solar panel size and type

etc etc

This could save time.

Some observations from this and other forums:

'Threads' start to fray! I've noticed many times - here and elsewhere - that while the initial responses to a question are usually 'on topic', there comes a point, sooner or later, when it starts to wander off-topic. Sometimes the wandering is interesting, sometimes it isn't.

While there may be an issue with asking clear questions ( and that's not always easy if the OP is not quite certain what the problem is), it is often the case that those with expert technical knowledge may not always be able to communicate that knowledge clearly and concisely in writing - particularly if it is highly technical.

We're an argumentative, disputatious, opinionated.....and knowledgable lot....for better and, sometimes, for worse!

• 3 weeks later...

For what it's worth, as a new member, I think you've got something very special in this forum. Some incredibly knowledgeable members, and so far my questions have been answered astonishingly quickly, kindly, and in a depth that seems appropriate to the subject matter. I have read some threads where things have got somewhat personal, but it seems to be the exception, rather than the rule (it's generally a lot more civil than much of the internet and social media.) Every forum has its own culture, and I come here for advice precisely because things are discussed in detail, and even where threads go off topic, this is usually when the original question has been answered, but has thrown up other interesting issues in the process. I appreciate that some members will just want a simple answer, but I think it's true that there often isn't one, and I wouldn't want to see the forum dumbed down in any way. I've learned a great deal in a few days, and I look forward to learning a great deal more with all your help :)

• Greenie 2

A list of qualified members might be useful - willing to share their knowledge - could be useful. Not sure if it would practical though?

The difficulty comes with defining "qualified members". Some people come on here with paper qualifications but spout rubbish (and then say "I'm qualified, therefore I must be right"). Some come on here without paper qualifications but really know their stuff. Some come on here with paper qualifications and really know their stuff. And then there are some who are plain thick.

And regardless of all that, I doubt any one person has all the right answers on a particular subject.

Edited by nicknorman

Just stick to the forum format. If you want definitive knowledge go and buy some text books...(i'd rather have this forum anyday).

Knowledge changes, new people turn up here all the time asking the same old questions but they don't get the same answers each time because things and forum knowledge are evolving all the time. Sometimes there are different opinions and are both are correct. Wikipedia is great but it would be a huge effort to create something like this and keep it up to date.

And as Nick has said, we could have experts like Gibbo writing the electrical sections, but he did get some things wrong, and without debate and updating that wrong knowledge would be cast in stone.

...............Dave

Just stick to the forum format. If you want definitive knowledge go and buy some text books...(i'd rather have this forum anyday).

Knowledge changes, new people turn up here all the time asking the same old questions but they don't get the same answers each time because things and forum knowledge are evolving all the time. Sometimes there are different opinions and are both are correct. Wikipedia is great but it would be a huge effort to create something like this and keep it up to date.

And as Nick has said, we could have experts like Gibbo writing the electrical sections, but he did get some things wrong, and without debate and updating that wrong knowledge would be cast in stone.

...............Dave

Yes this is what worries me about the proposed CWFWiki.

(Ramsbury is back on in the Dundas Arms, by the way!)

P.S. Connecting one's 24v charger in error to the 12v domestic circuit really fecks up one's 24v-12v step-down converters by the way. Don't do it!

Yes this is what worries me about the proposed CWFWiki.

(Ramsbury is back on in the Dundas Arms, by the way!)

P.S. Connecting one's 24v charger in error to the 12v domestic circuit really fecks up one's 24v-12v step-down converters by the way. Don't do it!

I know some people used to use two 12volt batteries in series as a last ditch attempt to start stubborn vehicles. We had a "Diesel Master" charger/jump starter at work and I have seen that set to 24v for starting 12 volt vehicles too. Less electronics on vehicles in the old days though so you could get away with that sort of abuse as long as you turned the radio off.

Have a pint for me, I am missing the Ramsbury this winter. Currently outside the Barge at Honeystreet looking at a sadly closed pub. Probably go to Devizes this Wednesday (British Lion), then 14 days later back to Pewsey. Could meet you there for a beer and do a post mortem on your voltage converter!

All this moving just once every 14 days makes me feel like a real cc'er.

If the forum had a big wiki it could have an electricity section, and it could have a beer section, but we couldn't talk beer in the electricity section, and that's what makes the forum such fun.

...............Dave

Ah but in which section should we discuss 'electric beer'?

(I suppose someone should invent it first though, but I like the concept.)

Yes slowing down to moving once a fortnight is ESSENTIAL to qualify as a CCer! I move at least once a week, though sometimes 'not very far'.

Wondering about giving up my home mooring seeing as I only spend about four months a year on it...