Flooding in Calderdale

linwil

Featured Posts

Article from Huddersfield Examiner re flooding in Elland.

Interesting, and depressing, pictures.

Last night local news stated that CRT are responsible for the bridge repairs (rebuild?). That is going to cost!

I would suspect this is not entirely true, but can see it being contentious. Legally, it can be argued that the canal is responsible for bridges sufficient to take the traffic at the time they were built. Elland Bridge was rebuilt in 1808 and widened in 1836, and the local authority would often take some financial responsibility when such improvements were made to old canal bridges. There was also the 1815 Elland Bridge and Dewsbury Turnpike Act which could affect responsibility. Of course, getting rid of such responsibilities was one reason the government 'created' CRT.

The Military could come and help. But that wouldn't be good for private businesses, I'm guessing.

Building contractors and owners of Rent-a-JCB are rubbing their hands together!

Yet, if we were to drag everyone out of the local pubs & clubs and put a shovel in their mitts, this mess would be cleaned up by tomorrow. OK, Thursday, then.

The Military could come and help. But that wouldn't be good for private businesses, I'm guessing.

Yet, if we were to drag everyone out of the local pubs & clubs and put a shovel in their mitts, this mess would be cleaned up by tomorrow. OK, Thursday, then.

The CRT link from KenK includes a link where you can volunteer to help with the cleanup.

The report I read, which continually mentioned Calderdale Labour Council, as if the political bit was important, also mentions gas, water and communications pipes crossing over via the Bridge. Do these utilities pay a wayleave to CRT or do they too have to shoulder some of the cost?

Edited by pearley

The report I read, which continually mentioned Calderdake Labour Council, as if the political bit was important, also mentions gas, water and communications pipes crossing over via the Bridge. Do these utilities pay a wayleave to CRT or do they too have to shoulder some of the cost?

I don't know the specific answer here, but usually if CRT own the bridge but it carries a public road, then the road surfacing belongs to the local highway authority. Utilities have a right to lay their pipes and cables in the street and a specific wayleave is not needed.

If one party can be held responsible for the damage then they would have to pay the costs incurred by other parties, but I assume that this flooding would be regarded as "Act of God", and thus it is likely that each party has to pay its own costs.

The bridge would originally have been provided by the canal company to meet the traffic needs of the day, but if it has been upgraded since by the highway authority, then they may well now have an obligation to pay some or all of the cost of repairing or replacing the bridge, as suggested by Pluto.

When 40T lorries were first permitted on British roads, and main road bridges had to be upgraded, the government took the view that upgrading to take the previous maximum (32T?) was the responsibility of bridge owners (including BW and BR), but that the highway authorities were responsible for the cost of further upgrading to 40T. In many cases therefore the work was done in a single hit and the cost was shared.

GooglePlus failed to upload a few photos and I couldn't be bothered to make a list of what I had and what I had chosen, but I guess this selection sort of sums it up?

https://goo.gl/photos/xpu81L4Tu393AR4w5

The Stubbing Wharf pub 3 locks west of Hebden Bridge had a cascade of wet stuff flowing round it which would have been a fun ride for someone in a dinghy.

The bridge with very small gap remaining is just below Lock 12, where the River Calder had smashed through a stone wall and was flowing quite uninterruptedly into the canal.

The Co-op shop photo shows the line at which the water reached.

The mud explains why I'll be taking wellies over next time smile.png

Edited by Emerald Fox

The managed to bridge the Rhine in WW11 pretty quick,and rebuild York railway station after it was bombed in 24 hours

Re. the Calder, I noticed the pontoon protecting the weir next to the Hepworth Gallery in Wakefield was broken. 2" steel cable snapped like cotton. Something large and aluminium looking (Gantry? Footway?) was in danger of going over the top but had been tethered to the adjoining boatyard.

Brighouse...

15i46mu.jpg

I

I can't quite work out that picture, is that the top lock of the two that lead down onto the river? Presumably the other lock is copletely submerged and invisible under the water!

I can't quite work out that picture, is that the top lock of the two that lead down onto the river? Presumably the other lock is copletely submerged and invisible under the water!

Indeed. The picture is taken looking over the hedge above the sanitary station. Moorings to the left, lower basin to the right, Colin Richardson's house opposite. You can just see the notice for the river in the distance. I'm glad I wasn't moored in the lower basin as I normally am when in Brighouse!