Inverter Problem

Bluesman1964

Featured Posts

Hi all. I should begin by saying that I'm not the most talented when it comes to matters of electrickery, so please be gentle with me if I've overlooked something glaringly obvious!

I'm hoping to be able to pick someone's brains about a problem with my inverter/charger. It's a Studer Compact C-1312, and I'm also connected to shore power. The other evening, the inverter suddenly went off - completely dead, no lights on the display panel, and won't come back on. I'm also not getting any 240v in the boat through the shore line, and neither are the batteries charging (apart from when I run the engine). The 12v still works fine (water pump, lights, fridge, freezer, 12v sockets etc), and I've checked that the shore power hasn't tripped. The shore lead is also fine, and there are no obvious loose wires anywhere that I can see. I've also got a Travel Pack, and I get 240 when I run that, but nothing otherwise.

I've got a manual for the Studer, but the English isn't the best (especially for a numpty like me!). I'm hoping it's something simple (and cheap!) like a fuse blowing, but I can't see any fuse holder on the outside of the casing. I haven't yet removed the cover, but does anyone know if this inverter has a fuse inside? Or any other possible causes/solutions?

Many thanks in advance help.gif

Hi all. I should begin by saying that I'm not the most talented when it comes to matters of electrickery, so please be gentle with me if I've overlooked something glaringly obvious!

I'm hoping to be able to pick someone's brains about a problem with my inverter/charger. It's a Studer Compact C-1312, and I'm also connected to shore power. The other evening, the inverter suddenly went off - completely dead, no lights on the display panel, and won't come back on. I'm also not getting any 240v in the boat through the shore line, and neither are the batteries charging (apart from when I run the engine). Do you know if your shore power lead is connected to ANYTHING other than your Studer? The 12v still works fine (water pump, lights, fridge, freezer, 12v sockets etc), and I've checked that the shore power hasn't tripped. The shore lead is also fine, and there are no obvious loose wires anywhere that I can see. I've also got a Travel Pack, and I get 240 when I run that, but nothing otherwise. Can you show that your shore power is still live, by plugging something directly into it? (It could have tripped elswhere and left your local trip 'on'.)

I've got a manual for the Studer, but the English isn't the best (especially for a numpty like me!). I'm hoping it's something simple (and cheap!) like a fuse blowing, but I can't see any fuse holder on the outside of the casing. I haven't yet removed the cover, but does anyone know if this inverter has a fuse inside? Or any other possible causes/solutions? Circuit breakers for the charger? Earth leakage trip in your electrical cupboard?

Many thanks in advance help.gif

Just my tuppence worth in red.

Were you doing anything in particular when it switched itself off?

Just my tuppence worth in red.

Were you doing anything in particular when it switched itself off?

Many thanks for the comments Loafer.

I don't know if the shore power lead is connected to anything else - as far as I was aware, it just goes into the inverter and then off through the boat. I'll have a look in daylight. What else would it be likely to connect to? (I said I was a numpty when it came to electrics!)

I know that the shore pillar is live, as two other boats share it, and they're both fine. I've also checked the shore lead itself by seeing if it worked with another boat - it's fine.

All breakers & trips that I can see (the main breaker board & the domestic 240 trips) are fine.

I wasn't doing anything out of the ordinary - it was about 2100 and I was working on the computer when all the 240 suddenly went off. When I checked the inverter it was dead - no lights on the display at all.

I don't know if this adds anything but many thanks once again.

Have had a quick look through the manual and can find no mention of fuses or reset buttons, no troubleshooting section either. If the batteries are charged then even without shore power or a faulty transfer relay, the inverter part of this Combi should kick in and provide AC on the output from battery power.

Can only suggest confirming that shore power is present on the AC input terminals and checking connections in general. If AC is found to be present on input then lack of it on output and no LED indications does point to a fault with the Combi itself.

Reading the manual, there's very little the user can do with this inverter, maintenance-wise. It appears to have no user-replaceable fuses and the manual actually states that there's no maintenance possible. I suspect it's dead.

http://www.manualsbase.com/manual/downloadfile/19410/

Reading the manual, there's very little the user can do with this inverter, maintenance-wise. It appears to have no user-replaceable fuses and the manual actually states that there's no maintenance possible. I suspect it's dead.

http://www.manualsbase.com/manual/downloadfile/19410/

I do too, but I'm surprised it still has its magic smoke.

All my failed inverters lost theirs in their dying seconds! (Both Victron. Rubbish.)