Use of Tunnel Lights

Wanderer Vagabond

Featured Posts

Had an experience in Braunston Tunnel today that I must admit, left me a bit puzzled. Why would anyone travel through a tunnel without putting their tunnel light on?

The situation was I went into the tunnel from the Braunston end and, after my darkness vision had improved I could see in the profile of the tunnel exit the shape of a boat. There was no sign of the white tunnel light so I assumed that we were both travelling in the same direction. After about 10 minutes in the tunnel suddenly the other boat started to show a white light, now I'm confused, is it a boat coming towards me? or is it a boat going away with a muppet on the stern shining a torch towards me? It took another five minutes before it became clear that the boat was coming towards me so avoiding action was going to be necessary.

I wont labour the point about then being blinded by the other boat's badly set tunnel light since that seem to be becoming a regular occurrence but I remain puzzled why anyone would travel through a notoriously crooked tunnel like Braunston without putting a light on. Any ideas?

Some years ago, I was travelling through Braunston Tunnel, and I could hear slow revving engine. Initially i took little notice, asuming it to be a boat travelling ahead of me, but as the sound got louder I realised it was a boat approaching with no lights. It turned out to be a working boat and we both passed without touching each other, or the wall. An interesting experience, but not one i would particularly want to repeat.

Some years ago, I was travelling through Braunston Tunnel, and I could hear slow revving engine. Initially i took little notice, asuming it to be a boat travelling ahead of me, but as the sound got louder I realised it was a boat approaching with no lights. It turned out to be a working boat and we both passed without touching each other, or the wall. An interesting experience, but not one i would particularly want to repeat.

Last summer our headlight bulb blew just as we entered Braunston Tunnel but with a hand torch to light up the walls we had no problems , but I think we surprised some oncoming boats as two of them pointed out that we hadn't put the light on.

Steerer had a big bum that kept knocking the switch off.

Possibly close to the truth there! The tunnel lamp on my boat is a rocker switch at hip height. Desperately easy to lean on it and turn the lamp OFF before I fitted an inch thick strip of oak next to it to protect it from accidental switching.

Although accidentally switching it ON was more of a problem than OFF. We tended to notice if we switched it OFF in a tunnel...

The boater was going for the fastest trip through the tunnel in the dark record, but had to abandon the run when he saw you.

That must be it ... if he exceeded the speed of light you wouldn't have been able to see his headlight! ???????

I once passed a couple of BW pusher tugs pushing mud-hoppers through Braunston tunnel. Meeting the front on the hopper 75 feet _before_ the tunnel light on the tug was a bit of a surprise! At least for the first one. I learned my lesson for the second.

MP.

The boater was going for the fastest trip through the tunnel in the dark record, but had to abandon the run when he saw you.

Steerer had a big bum that kept knocking the switch off.

I think that these two are the most likely options and of the two the attempt to go through the tunnel in the dark is the most probable. If one is that way inclined then perhaps Netherton tunnel in Birmingham is a better choice to do it since it is as straight as a die, but Braunston doesn't really do straight.The problem for me is similar to the cyclist on the road who doesn't use his lights on the basis that 'I can see where I'm going by the streetlights', half of the purpose of having a cycle light/tunnel light is so that other people can see you. If you enter a tunnel and can see an approaching light it tells you that there is a boat coming towards you, if you can see the shape of a boat but no light then it is going away from you. If people want to try these strange 'experiments' then they should make sure that there is no-one else in the tunnel ahead of them.

Always expect the unexpected.

The last time I was on a pair of ex-working boats (2007) we passed through Braunston Tunnel with the motors headlight working (no headlamp on the butty which was empty so on cross straps). By the time we got to Blisworth Tunnel the headlamp on the motor had packed in, and after about an hour of attempted repairs it still refused to illuminate. The resolution was to closely follow a single motor through the tunnel and so make use of their headlamp, and we passed several boats coming the other way of which none complained.

Always expect the unexpected.

The last time I was on a pair of ex-working boats (2007) we passed through Braunston Tunnel with the motors headlight working (no headlamp on the butty which was empty so on cross straps). By the time we got to Blisworth Tunnel the headlamp on the motor had packed in, and after about an hour of attempted repairs it still refused to illuminate. The resolution was to closely follow a single motor through the tunnel and so make use of their headlamp, and we passed several boats coming the other way of which none complained.

I have moved at least 5 boats without a working tunnel light, or a tunnel light at all.

It isnt so bad if you have internal lighting available, however, I usually have a selection of LED torches and spotlights in my goody bag.

That sort of covers my point about the lightless cyclist whose argument is that he can see where he is going so why should he bother with using a light. It's not difficult to steer through a tunnel using just the interior lights if you have to but you haven't really got anything to complain about if someone coming the other way runs into you, I suspect that insurers would take the same view if any significant damage was caused. I think if my tunnel light failed I'd certainly get one of several torches on the boat out just to signal to oncoming boats.

• 1 month later...

I was talking to someone recently who stated quite proudly that he often goes through Braunston tunnel with no light.

He seemed a bit insulted when I suggested that he should at least have a torch, as if I was questioning his UNDOUBTEDLY BRILLIANT helmsman skills.

You are entitled to your opinion, but many experienced boaters I know are happy to pass tunnels without lights. I regularly turn off my headlight when there is sufficient light from the approaching portal. There appears to be a reliance on bye laws and health and safety recommendations that were absent when I started boating...one of my first steering experiences was to take a Josher butty, then unconverted, through Netherton Tunnel ( OK, it's totally straight ) being towed on a longish line behind a tug. I managed, without a headlight, not to kiss the sides...

Dave

• Greenie 1

I think there is a waterways by law that requires you to show a white light to the front in any tunnel over 440 yards long. I think the person you were talking to is a prat.

Personally, I think the easiest way to steer through a tunnel is to put most of the cabin lights on, turn the headlight off, and navigate by looking at how your boat is positioned relative to the walls. You might want to supplement this with a floodlight on the roof at the rear of the boat, pointing forwards

Of course you also need to carry a white light at the bows so that oncoming boats can see you, but that light need not be very bright.