To Loan and Buy or Not..

GOONIESnvrSAYdie

Featured Posts

The ideal mooring we want is in New Mills, Derbyshire. But if they are full as it's small and we have to wait, there's another one just 5 minutes from there at Furness Vale.

Thanks for taking the time with the response, it's much appreciated.

Welcome - have you been onto New Mills Marina and asked about renting a pontoon and living aboard in the last six months. I am given to understand that Pridewater Estates are not taking any further liveaboards and you cannot stay on either Furness Vale nor Marple Marina more than 3 nights per wwek. The only 'legal' residential marina on Summit Pound is Hovis Mill Macclesfield Marina and I think all his residential pontoons are currently let. There are moorings under the radar on Lyme View and Victoria Pit on the other side of the summit Pound but I would double check with Pridewater Estates at New Mills first.

We might have met you, we live on Gracie and have the two friendly Labradors - chocolate and black. Currently in Marple due to illness, but do knock on next time you are passing and say hello.

Edited by StarUKKiwi

Probably about £125,000, and my guess is that in 2020 it will be worth about £80,000. House prices go up, and they go down. They don't always go up, and they certainly won't be going up as interest rates rise.

You've said that twice now. I disagee twice ?

You've said that twice now. I disagee twice

Actually, over the long term they don't go up as much as people think. Most of the increase is driven by inflation, and the reason we make money on houses is that inflation eats away at the mortgage.

Of course the situation at the moment (especially in London) is unusual.

You've said that twice now. I disagee twice

Well, I have no vested interest either way, but I certainly think the unaffordability of accommodation for younger people is a national crisis. I would support the idea of cheaper housing, just as I would support the idea of cheaper bread, sugar or petrol.

Edited by Southern Star

Probably about £125,000, and my guess is that in 2020 it will be worth about £80,000. House prices go up, and they go down. They don't always go up, and they certainly won't be going up as interest rates rise.

But none of this contradicts the claim that property values tend to go up in the long term.

If I buy a house for £46,500 and it's worth (say) £125,000 after 15 years and 'only' £80,000 after 20 years, that's still a very different proposition from buying a boat for £46,500 that's worth (say) £32,000 after 15 years and £30,000 after 20 years. In fact it's a different proposition to the tune of £50,000, so I think George's point stands.

Welcome - have you been onto New Mills Marina and asked about renting a pontoon and living aboard in the last six months. I am given to understand that Pridewater Estates are not taking any further liveaboards and you cannot stay on either Furness Vale nor Marple Marina more than 3 nights per wwek. The only 'legal' residential marina on Summit Pound is Hovis Mill Macclesfield Marina and I think all his residential pontoons are currently let. There are moorings under the radar on Lyme View and Victoria Pit on the other side of the summit Pound but I would double check with Pridewater Estates at New Mills first.

We might have met you, we live on Gracie and have the two friendly Labradors - chocolate and black. Currently in Marple due to illness, but do knock on next time you are passing and say hello.

I have contacted Pridewater about availability on social media, they messaged back saying they passed on my details to the caretaker from New Mills but I haven't heard back. It has been Christmas though so these things do get lost in communication. I did walk past New Mills marina the other day and notice how full it currently is. I'll have to pop up and have a word with the caretaker, see if there's a list I can get my name onto. We're not in any mad rush really, still at the research stage for now. Probably wouldn't be looking into buying our own boat till closer to the summer but even if we buy the boat and have to leave it at FV for the short term meaning we aren't able to live on it full time to start with, it won't be the end of the world.

I'll keep an eye out for the boat when I;m next out on the canal. Thanks for the kind offer.

Gareth

If I buy a house for £46,500 and it's worth (say) £125,000 after 15 years and 'only' £80,000 after 20 years, that's still a very different proposition from buying a boat for £46,500 that's worth (say) £32,000 after 15 years and £30,000 after 20 years. In fact it's a different proposition to the tune of £50,000, so I think George's point stands.

That's irrelevant. You buy a boat because you want a boat, not because you see it as a vehicle for financial speculation. If you want a boat, then the relationship between future house and boat values is irrelevant, a house can't float down a canal.

That's irrelevant. You buy a boat because you want a boat, not because you see it as a vehicle for financial speculation. If you want a boat, then the relationship between future house and boat values is irrelevant, a house can't float down a canal.

It's not irrelevant to the question I thought you were addressing, which is whether it's right to say that in financial terms:

Most people would be far better off in the long term by buying a house. Houses usually appreciate in value, whilst boats do the reverse.

I'm sure you're right that all this is pretty irrelevant to most people looking to buy a boat, but surely that applies equally to your own posts about house prices!

We do take liveaboards at New Mills Marina and when a berth becomes available we make no distinction between liveaboard and leisure moorer, the only difference being that a liveaboard would make a council tax contribution per year where a leisure boater would not. We have no berths available at the moment for any length of boat. Regarding a waiting list this depends on the length of boat, we have 39 berths 7 of which are for a maximum of 45 ft, the others are suitable for boats 45 ft and above but only two are suitable for 70 ft boats. It will depend on the length of boat you are looking to buy as to how long you are likely to spend on a waiting list. At this moment in time I have no indication of any moorer wishing to leave so it would be difficult to even guestimate how long someone would spend on a waiting list. If the OP would like to email me at mail@newmillsmarina.co.uk I will be happy to provide any information regarding mooring fees, costs etc.

• Greenie 1

Do marinas generally run a waiting list? I recall chatting to a chap who had some offside moorings which were usually full, and he had given up on a waiting list as whenever a space became available he would ring round his list, and invariably they had found somewhere else, sold the boat or whatever, but nobody had ever asked to be taken off the waiting list. So instead he just waited for the phone to ring with an enquiry for about moorings. He said he never had to wait long.

Do marinas generally run a waiting list?

I suppose some do and some don't. I phoned Cropredy Marina when I bought my boat, they were full. I phoned Brinklow Marina, and they had moorings.

I moored there for a year and only moved on because one day we got chatting to a pair of boaters at Hillmorton locks who had just left their online mooring because the husband had found work in South Wales and they needed to get closer to work. The online mooring in question has an enormous waiting list, our mooring fees are only £312 a year, but we got the mooring just by being in the right place at the right time, making the phone call at a fortuitous moment and completely by-passing the queue.

£312

I suppose some do and some don't. I phoned Cropredy Marina when I bought my boat, they were full. I phoned Brinklow Marina, and they had moorings.

I moored there for a year and only moved on because one day we got chatting to a pair of boaters at Hillmorton locks who had just left their online mooring because the husband had found work in South Wales and they needed to get closer to work. The online mooring in question has an enormous waiting list, our mooring fees are only £312 a year, but we got the mooring just by being in the right place at the right time, making the phone call at a fortuitous moment and completely by-passing the queue.

That seems very cheap.

We do take liveaboards at New Mills Marina and when a berth becomes available we make no distinction between liveaboard and leisure moorer, the only difference being that a liveaboard would make a council tax contribution per year where a leisure boater would not. We have no berths available at the moment for any length of boat. Regarding a waiting list this depends on the length of boat, we have 39 berths 7 of which are for a maximum of 45 ft, the others are suitable for boats 45 ft and above but only two are suitable for 70 ft boats. It will depend on the length of boat you are looking to buy as to how long you are likely to spend on a waiting list. At this moment in time I have no indication of any moorer wishing to leave so it would be difficult to even guestimate how long someone would spend on a waiting list. If the OP would like to email me at mail@newmillsmarina.co.uk I will be happy to provide any information regarding mooring fees, costs etc.

Good chatting earlier, hopefully see you Sunday for a tour.

And thank you again to everyone for the over whelming number of replies. All the advice is taken on board and I'm sure this forum will be a constant source of knowledge and research for me.

Do marinas generally run a waiting list

My experience is many will take your details but as for a waiting list that you slowly move up. . . I'm not so sure as it depends on the size of mooring that becomes available vs size of your boat, your request for type of mooring (with mains power, residential etc) and in some cases whether the marina like the look of you/ your boat.