Windy, winding, tip!

Ricco1

Featured Posts

I'm sure this is nothing new, probably been written about a million times. I'd not read about it, thought it up, it works!

Imagine a horrible windy day, wind from behind, you want to turn the boat round. The last time I tried this I ended up stuck in bushes on the far side of the winding hole. No fun when single handed.

The other day I did it like this: Stop boat opposite winding hole, disembark. Hold on to front rope. Push back end into the canal until the wind catches it. The wind will then turn the boat around nicely for you with no effort. If the back end doesn't come round enough to grab the centre rope push the front end out a bit, still holding onto the rope of course.

Works a treat. Hope it helps someone sometime.

I'm sure this is nothing new, probably been written about a million times. I'd not read about it, thought it up, it works!

Imagine a horrible windy day, wind from behind, you want to turn the boat round. The last time I tried this I ended up stuck in bushes on the far side of the winding hole. No fun when single handed.

The other day I did it like this: Stop boat opposite winding hole, disembark. Hold on to front rope. Push back end into the canal until the wind catches it. The wind will then turn the boat around nicely for you with no effort. If the back end doesn't come round enough to grab the centre rope push the front end out a bit, still holding onto the rope of course.

I think it's called winding! Only way before engines were invented.

Paul

an alternative, to keep stern in deep water (last used Crick)

* stop with bows opp winding hole.

* run a very long rope (length of boat + 50 ft) from bows along the offside gunwale.

* fix said line to the bank as far back as you can.

* push bows out a bit

* motor forwards

* the line will pull the bows out & round.

* use tiller to keep stern from hitting the bank.

* retrieve long rope.

I was told that you shouldn't let the stern go into the winding hole due to debris fouling the rudder and prop?

Fair point. I'm only 35ft so with the bows held close to the nearside the stern should always be in deepish water. Probably not worth the risk with a longer boat though!

I was told that you shouldn't let the stern go into the winding hole due to debris fouling the rudder and prop?

Watch out for rubbish everywhere in these winds....

I always turn bow in for that very reason, but yesterday..... nothing happened, ages later managed to get round eventually - then discovered the sack round the prop.......

Thanks for sorting it for me ROBDEN.

* run a very long rope (length of boat + 50 ft) from bows along the offside gunwale.

* push bows out a bit

* motor forwards

* retrieve long rope.

'Line' sounds far more seamanlike....

Errr.....

(Apart from that I like this method!!)

'Line' sounds far more seamanlike....

Errr.....

(Apart from that I like this method!!)

I do apologise for the inconsistency.

Talking of the sea, here is what it looked like in Pembrokeshire this morning. RNLI St Davids lifeboat in attendance...

https://mobile.twitter.com/ScholarGypsyOx/status/682947627248390147?p=v

Edited by Scholar Gypsy

I do apologise for the inconsistency.

Talking of the sea, here is what it looked like in Pembrokeshire this morning. RNLI St Davids lifeboat in attendance...

https://mobile.twitter.com/ScholarGypsyOx/status/682947627248390147?p=v

Well all I can say is 'What a bunch of mad c

Mrs Loafer here. I just swung my bat at his fingers and stopped him typing any further. I hope none of you mind!

In the circumstance described I tend to ram the bow into the winding hole (with the hope that it is indeed silted up and let the wind and gentle use of throttle agin the rudder take her round.
I can usually get the bow off again.......

I have done the bow rope and wind trick as well but when I do the wind usually dies biggrin.png

• 4 weeks later...

* push bows out a bit

* motor forwards

* retrieve long rope.

Wouldn't be cool to use a bungee rope. Then as you powered away the rope would stretch and after a bit would accelerate the bow round post haste. ?

When I was a marine valet we turned boats like this all the time, using wind/tide or flow because we never had the boat keys.

Phil

When I was a marine valet we turned boats like this all the time, using wind/tide or flow because we never had the boat keys.

Phil

Wouldn't a lot of lardy-arsed boats get stuck doing that? Stern swinging into the hole, if I understand correctly?