Is it rude to ask about renting?

Sandi118

Featured Posts

Sorry southern I am on a roll now! Hope you don't mind having a look - I will try and stop myself sending too many

Sandihttp://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/feature.phtml?id=453373

Well if you do hear anything ....

'Errol' looks a very cozy boat. It's Beta engine should give reliable service. The only drawback is it is a cruiser stern which uses a lot of valuable living space for a liveaboard, especially as it is only 35 foot long. One concern is it only has a Mikuni diesel heating system. If that packs up you don't have any back-up option. Our boat had a Mikuni when it was built, it proved so unreliable it was replaced by a Hurricane system after only six months.

'Belinda' at 45 feet is a more practical length, is a trad stern and has a forward cratch area which makes the useable living space more useful. It mentions the engine only as a Lister LPW. I think they were a Petter engine variant which came in 2,3 or 4 cylinder models. It doesn't say which one is fitted. I had a Petter 2 cylinder engine years ago and it proved to be a very good engine. The all white interior looks a bit 'soul less' but if you have an artistic flair could provide a nice blank canvass on which to place your mark. It also has a solid fuel stove and looks to have radiator heating via a back boiler which I think would make it a really cozy boat.

It would be worth going to see them but, IMHO, 'Belinda' looks a more practical option for living aboard. In any event I would get an independent survey done before buying any boat.

Ken

Edited by NB Ellisiana

Just picked up on this post.

You can rent out your boat but have to sell the tenant a 1/100th share for the insurance to be valid.

For the insurance to be valid you have to have the insurance company's written consent to the boat being rented. Most private boat insurance policies exclude renting regardless of who might own 1/100th or 1/64th of the boat.

I guess it depends whether or not you're willing to go to the dark side so to speak. Despite what people say here, renting boats for temporary living accommodation is possible and people do it providing they have the mentality that "rules are there to be broken" ;)

The person we bought our boat from used to rent it out to people as temporary accommodation while moving house etc.

You can rent out your boat but have to sell the tenant a 1/100th share for the insurance to be valid.

I'd say this is highly questionable. That would make the tenant a joint owner and a tenancy agreement renting to yourself would be deemed invalid should you try to enforce the terms of it on yourself.

As others have noted it's perfectly possible to rent your boat out without selling anything to the tenant. It's just that you can't do it legitimately.

Thank you all for your contributions on this. Having given it some thought, I don't know that I am ready to splash out and buy, especially after hearing one of them has been hanging around for a while. I would really need to sell as soon as I have 're-booted.' So, think I need to explore 'the dark side' and hope for a nudge, a wink and a tip off! If that fails, guess I may have to go down the rental route, but just see if I can do some master haggling.

If anyone hears of anything - looking Aug to Nov or even start later if the price was right.

Thanks once again guys for all your input

. It mentions the engine only as a Lister LPW. I think they were a Petter engine variant which came in 2,3 or 4 cylinder models. It doesn't say which one is fitted.

I would suggest that it is a Lister Canal Star, a much more modern engine than the Petters (I too once had a Petter PH2 and remember it fondly).

Sandi, you are looking in the right areas. Both Errol and Belinda are boats from reputable builders and appear to be fairly priced. You evidently have an instinct for finding decent boats which, WHEN AND IF you do decide to buy yourself one, should stand you in good read (because there are a lot of what you call "tugs" up for sale).

P.S: If I was in the market for my first boat I'd buy Belinda tomorrow, but I'd ensure that I had enough money left over for a couple of pots of interior paint.

Yes I have a sneaky feeling that the interior of BELINDA would have been a nice oak or ash solid wood fitout given who built her, and someone has been through and painted it all white. I think it might look truly dreadful inside as the camera is always kind to interiors in photos.

A tin of paint stripper might be more appropriate...

Thank you all for your contributions on this. Having given it some thought, I don't know that I am ready to splash out and buy, especially after hearing one of them has been hanging around for a while. I would really need to sell as soon as I have 're-booted.' So, think I need to explore 'the dark side' and hope for a nudge, a wink and a tip off! If that fails, guess I may have to go down the rental route, but just see if I can do some master haggling.

If anyone hears of anything - looking Aug to Nov or even start later if the price was right.

Thanks once again guys for all your input

If you do plan to take an 'illegal' rental may I make a couple of suggestions ( for your own safety)

1) Have a qualified electrician / gas man check the boat over for you.

2) Buy your own Smoke alarm and Carbon Monoxide detector - and use them.

3) Have comprehensive insurance for everything you own that will be on the boat, and make sure it will be covered whilst on the boat

4) File copies of any important documents with family / friends.

5) Back everything up on your computer onto a memory stick and keep it somewhere safe.

Hopefully nothing 'bad' will happen, but personally I'd rather be prepared and have everything in place 'in case it did', rather than think "I've lost everything - what do I do now" if it did happen.

A boat illegally rented out will be most unlikely to conform with the necessary safety requirements or have the correct insurances. It will be down to you to make sure you have protected yourself as much as you can.

Yes as Alan says above, you the tenant carry a lot of risk you'd intuitively assume the landlord is responsible for.

Imagine the boat sinks or catches fire. All your possessions will be lost (assuming you survive) and there will be no valid insurance whatever the landlord (boatlord?) told you.

Imagine the boat is a house. A landlord Gas Safety Certificate is mandatory. What about if the house is a boat? Will you be asking for one? As a gas bod myself I certainly wouldn't risk issuing one for an 'under the radar' rented boat.

Now look at it from the landlord's perspective. S/he hands over the keys to their £35k boat. Bit of a risk, that! What if the rent stops coming in and s/he decides to visit and have a word, and the boat is gone. Now what? Why would a landlord take that risk on a boat other than one worth losing?

Yes I have a sneaky feeling that the interior of BELINDA would have been a nice oak or ash solid wood fitout given who built her, and someone has been through and painted it all white. I think it might look truly dreadful inside as the camera is always kind to interiors in photos.

A tin of paint stripper might be more appropriate...

From the bits of wood which can be seen, looks like a knotty-pine sort of finish - period-appropriate I guess. That would not be my first choice of décor now, but our first boat 'Octavia' (built 1989) had that feature and we loved it at the time).

Look at the practicalities from the other side - if it was your boat would you rent it out given that the hirer -

• could disappear and not pay any outstandings
  • disappear with the boat
  • trash the inside
  • break down (either through negligence or lack of knowledge) and expect you to rush to fix it
  • worse

I've heard horror stories from hire companies about what their customers do to the boats - and that's only within the week's hire period. That's one of the (many) reasons why hiring appears so expensive.

Yes, totally understand - the red tape is always the toughest to break through!

Guess I might have to go back to the drawing board or start doing the lottery.

Thanks all the same for all your advice

The problem is though, that if you intend to go cruising then you are really restricted to using a hire fleet, and these will be enormously expensive at the time of year you mention. Typically, a hire boat costs £1,500 a week during the "season", and although you'd be able to negotiate a substantial discount for a long-term rental, I doubt you'd get it below £1,000 a week.

Most boats which are rented out medium to long term are done on a "nudge nudge wink wink" basis and the owner won't want the hirer to travel any further than is strictly necessary to satisfy the owner's licencing obligations- private rentals are largely a "London thing".

I'm not trying to piss on your chips or anything, there's nothing I'd like more than to be able to rent my boat out for a few months a year to cover the annual costs, but "the powers that be" frown on this and put as many obstructions in the way as possible.

Not all hire boats are greedy however. Bluebell is well the right side of a grand for a week. Shop around, you might be surprised.

I would like to GIVE my boat to a good friend and his wife, whilst we're taking a holiday elsewhere. I trust him implicitly.

Is there anything legally wrong with just 'lending' your boat to a friend, like you might a bike or a car?

Read your insurance policy.

If you lend a friend a car, they and you would ensure its covered by insurance. I think my insurance covers loaning to family.

The friend could own the boat for a £1 and sell it back to you.

I haven't given it much thought.

I would like to GIVE my boat to a good friend and his wife, whilst we're taking a holiday elsewhere. I trust him implicitly.

Is there anything legally wrong with just 'lending' your boat to a friend, like you might a bike or a car?

Providing no money changes hands you will be fine with CRT, although you as the licence holder will still be responsible for your friend complying with the licence Ts and Cs, CRT bylaws etc. Check your insurance too. Most canal policies are fine, but some may require the insured (you) to be present.

Although no money can change hands, I think it is probably in order if the fuel tank is nearly empty when you hand the boat over, and fairly full on its return (providing that isn't an explicit term of the arrangement).

maybe a bit late and I have not read the whole thread but there is a decent looking boat moored on the winter moorings at bulbourne past the grand junction towards Tring Station that has " to Let " in the window . If I am passing at the weekend will get the number for you or you could have a wonder down if you are not too far away . . As its on winter moorings one has to assume it is CCing therefore I would have tought to let means CC . dont know how long a lease they would be looking for though . house min is 6 months .

Good luck

maybe a bit late and I have not read the whole thread but there is a decent looking boat moored on the winter moorings at bulbourne past the grand junction towards Tring Station that has " to Let " in the window . If I am passing at the weekend will get the number for you or you could have a wonder down if you are not too far away . . As its on winter moorings one has to assume it is CCing therefore I would have tought to let means CC . dont know how long a lease they would be looking for though . house min is 6 months .

Good luck

House renting laws don't apply to boat rentals. Tenant has no 'protection' whatever against being thrown out of their home (i.e. the boat) with no notice. And landlord has no obligation to maintain it in any way like a rented house.

People take for granted a lot of things when renting a house which don't apply to a boat rental.

House renting laws don't apply to boat rentals. Tenant has no 'protection' whatever against being thrown out of their home (i.e. the boat) with no notice. And landlord has no obligation to maintain it in any way like a rented house.

People take for granted a lot of things when renting a house which don't apply to a boat rental.

Fair enough as said I dont know what the deal is . Sounds like a bit of a risk to me , better to buy and sell if not for you / end of the period as has been said

And you know this because a bloke who rents boats out told you so.

Its utter crap.