Is it rude to ask about renting?

Sandi118

Featured Posts

Hi, I'm looking to step off the hamster wheel for a few months beginning around July ish. I was looking for a 3-6 month rental and thought it was best to ask the experts instead of those just trying to 'sell it' to me. Has anyone any suggestions as to the best place to look for such a rental or at least point me in the right direction.

Thanks

Hi, I'm looking to step off the hamster wheel for a few months beginning around July ish. I was looking for a 3-6 month rental and thought it was best to ask the experts instead of those just trying to 'sell it' to me. Has anyone any suggestions as to the best place to look for such a rental or at least point me in the right direction.

Thanks

Hi

Its often asked. Begining of july for 3 months if done thro a hire fleet would cost you about 13 million pounds as its prime time and all hire fleets are usualy booked solid at that time of year. You may be able to rent privately but it is a minefield re insurance and other matters if done correctly and if not done correctly a hell of a risk for the boat owner. Perhaps an add on gumtree or elsewhere posing the question may come to fruition.

Tim

Thanks for quick responses - I was looking to do a trip, wherever I am not fussy as opposed to static. Word of mouth sounds ideal and what I was hoping for but I will do as suggested - search on this site, gumtree etc so thanks for the advice. And, not sure how to reply individually, but thank you for the welcome!

Thanks

If I was looking to live on a boat for six months, and could raise the money, I'd be looking to buy an old-ish boat for, say, £25,000 and then sell it on when I had finished with it.

That was a consideration, but I don't feel that I know enough about it to actually buy one if that makes sense

That was a consideration, but I don't feel that I know enough about it to actually buy one if that makes sense

The problem is though, that if you intend to go cruising then you are really restricted to using a hire fleet, and these will be enormously expensive at the time of year you mention. Typically, a hire boat costs £1,500 a week during the "season", and although you'd be able to negotiate a substantial discount for a long-term rental, I doubt you'd get it below £1,000 a week.

Most boats which are rented out medium to long term are done on a "nudge nudge wink wink" basis and the owner won't want the hirer to travel any further than is strictly necessary to satisfy the owner's licencing obligations- private rentals are largely a "London thing".

I'm not trying to piss on your chips or anything, there's nothing I'd like more than to be able to rent my boat out for a few months a year to cover the annual costs, but "the powers that be" frown on this and put as many obstructions in the way as possible.

The problem is though, that if you intend to go cruising then you are really restricted to using a hire fleet, and these will be enormously expensive at the time of year you mention. Typically, a hire boat costs £1,500 a week during the "season", and although you'd be able to negotiate a substantial discount for a long-term rental, I doubt you'd get it below £1,000 a week.

Most boats which are rented out medium to long term are done on a "nudge nudge wink wink" basis and the owner won't want the hirer to travel any further than is strictly necessary to satisfy the owner's licencing obligations- private rentals are largely a "London thing".

I'm not trying to piss on your chips or anything, there's nothing I'd like more than to be able to rent my boat out for a few months a year to cover the annual costs, but "the powers that be" frown on this and put as many obstructions in the way as possible.

Yes, totally understand - the red tape is always the toughest to break through!

Guess I might have to go back to the drawing board or start doing the lottery.

Thanks all the same for all your advice

There is no incentive for a hire firm to give a large discount on a long term rental in summertime. There's scope for some discount, but they still need to pay for gas, diesel, any breakdowns or things wearing out over the same time, plus they'll be paying other boatyards for it rather than having it back at theirs each week for these items plus anything else they spot etc. It will work out very expensive. At some point there is financial sense in buying a secondhand boat (anything, really), using it for a bit then selling it again. Try to buy as good a condition as possible, its unlikely you'll be able to buy a "project", improve it, then sell it and get the money back you put into it. If you buy a good one (possibly at a little more), it will not need nearly so much spent on it AND be easier to sell later.

At some point there is financial sense in buying a secondhand boat (anything, really), using it for a bit then selling it again. Try to buy as good a condition as possible, its unlikely you'll be able to buy a "project", improve it, then sell it and get the money back you put into it. If you buy a good one (possibly at a little more), it will not need nearly so much spent on it AND be easier to sell later.

This is what I would say would be the OP's best option. I've owned my own boat for about 18 months now, if I sold it tomorrow I would get back what I paid for it. Obviously I would have had a fair few expenses along the way, the survey, the licences, insurance, mooring, maintenance etc etc etc and I would have to pay a brokerage fee to sell it, but the whole lot put together would only come to around £6,000 and I can't imagine any other way of having full-time use of a narrowboat for 18 months for £75 a week.

This is what I would say would be the OP's best option. I've owned my own boat for about 18 months now, if I sold it tomorrow I would get back what I paid for it. Obviously I would have had a fair few expenses along the way, the survey, the licences, insurance, mooring, maintenance etc etc etc and I would have to pay a brokerage fee to sell it, but the whole lot put together would only come to around £6,000 and I can't imagine any other way of having full-time use of a narrowboat for 18 months for £75 a week.

I need a 'southern star' to find me one . With not that much knowledge, I am just worried I would be one of those who gets duped into buying a tug!

Have you got to go in the summer ? as you might get a good deal from hire firms in the low season and the bonus apart from cost is the cut will be a lot less conjested.

Neil

I am pretty flexible with dates so good point, thank you

I need a 'southern star' to find me one . With not that much knowledge, I am just worried I would be one of those who gets duped into buying a tug!

If you look on ApolloDuck, find a few random boats you like the look of in your price range and post the link here, then I'm sure we'd be glad to take a look at the link and give you neutral and impartial opinions.

I am pretty flexible with dates so good point, thank you

Ahem...

And what's wrong with buying a tug? Best type of boat money can buy!! ;) ;)

If you look on ApolloDuck, find a few random boats you like the look of in your price range and post the link here, then I'm sure we'd be glad to take a look at the link and give you neutral and impartial opinions.

Thank you so much and Happy New Year

None taken either, was just teasing you really!

I expect you meant 'duped into buying a colander' or something like that really ;) ;)

Welcome to the forum by the way :)

You read my mind, couldn't have put it better!

Thank you for welcome, you have all been very kind.

Happy New Year ;)

I met someone last year doing 6 months (on his "bucket" list/ suffered sudden loss). He hired IIRC cost = approx £6K. Can't remember exact arrangement but it was a private deal (and a nice boat to boot). Spent a nice social night in a pub somewhere on the Oxford so details were vague. They do exist but must be word of mouth.

Edited by mark99

Sorry southern I am on a roll now! Hope you don't mind having a look - I will try and stop myself sending too many

Sandi

http://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/feature.phtml?id=453373

I met someone last year doing 6 months (on his "bucket" list/ suffered sudden loss). He hired IIRC cost = approx £6K. Can't remember exact arrangement but it was a private deal (and a nice boat to boot). Spent a nice social night in a pub somewhere on the Oxford so details were vague. They do exist but must be word of mouth.

Well if you do hear anything ....

Yes, that's a nice looking boat, French & Peel is a good builder, and a Lister is a good engine. I personally don't like the all-white fit-out but that is a personal thing, and at £20k I'd say you wouldn't lose money when you sold it, provided that the survey showed it to be sound. I don't hold myself up as an expert though, so I'd be interested in the opinions of others on this boat.

So taking £6k as a benchmark for 6 months' rental - and it's certainly cheap compared to hire boat prices - the question becomes whether the OP would end up more or less than £6k out of profit if she bought a boat and sold it 6 months later. Almost certainly less, I'd have thought, assuming a survey showed the boat to be in good condition and fairly priced - although I suppose you could never rule out the possibility of making a big loss due to some sort of undetected/unforeseen problem.