finding best adhesives to bond grp to wood

keithh

Featured Posts

Over many years I have been renovating my old Dawncraft 27 centre cockpit,by far the most frustrating part of the project is when things you thought you,d repaired fail due to substandard adhesive which does,nt do what its supposed to.Obviously only an idiot (I hold my hands up) would deliberately use rubbish materials but you also want to get things at a good price I,ve long been of the opinion that because something is expensive does,nt always make it any good.In the early days I was advised by a chap who had first hand knowledge of Dawncrafts to use polyurethane sealer instead of silicone sealer has it bonded better.I bought a batch of tubes of adesco sealer from their supplier who for some ridiculous reason have stopped supplying to the public since then I,ve used a couple of types,the latest which is useless is from a company called bondit its PU18 polyurethane adhesive and sealant which has failed a few times.You blame yourself for poor preparation but you can,t be sure.The other thing which has failed on me numerous times I fitted a new front screen a few years ago very smart but the Perspex screen has started to part from the alloy frame in the middle at the bottom,it seems not bad enough to need a new screen but I,ve tried a few things to try and bond it back to the frame with limited success I,m nearly at the point of getting a new screen but think its worth one last try with the right stuff so any recommendations would be appreciated

These days at work (restoring vintage fairground rides) we pretty much use Lumberjack adhesive

http://www.restexpress.co.uk/acatalog/Everbuild_Lumberjack_5_Minute_Polyurethane_PU_Wood_Adhesive_Liquid.html?gclid=CLee3667g8oCFRYUGwodyMYNvA

it foams and expands a little but it stickes any and everything to anything. It'll let you cut it or and it when dry. I've found the best way however is to use less than you think you need.

Around the house it's holding towel shelves onto tiles even... blooming marvellous stuff. Holds in 5 mins and is full strength in 30.

Just a suggestion.

I have used Silkaflex before and seem to think it was ok might be worth another try thanks,never heard of lumberjack adhesive will definitely be looking for it cheers.The biggest problem I think is things moving slightly as you move around on the boat so adhesives have to be strong but flexible and I,m a big fella so things definitely move when I walk on em

I also go for the silkeflex, but if you have a toolstation they have

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p98810?table=no I used it for solar panel mountings.

Ally on steel.

surfaces, even if both are impervious. Will bond damp surfaces and may even be used under water. Can be over painted.

There is also ''The works'' similar to Sikaflex and Marineflex. I've used it for sticking Aly to Aly, wood to steel, I also use it for sticking and bedding down chimney collars on boat roofs, its the Works. I get it from ''Range'' but it is available elsewhere.

My world is now held together by Gorilla adhesive, readilly available anywhere, expands slightly and likes damp environments

Yup! I can see a bottle of that from where I'm sitting at the laptop. Great believer in polyurethane glue. but if you're bonding wood onto GRP why not use tape and resin

I'm a chippie, and we have started to use "fixall" for many applications at work, not the cheapest(about £5-00+ a tube) but seems to be upto the job in all situations that we've tried it on. I don't recall a time it has failed to date.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sd14VkYLxW4 and http://www.fixall.co.uk/en/about and http://www.screwfix.com/p/soudal-fix-all-high-tack-adhesive-sealant-white-290ml

That said, I also rate sika products highly too, and I've seen polyethylene glue fail at times.......but not often

Hth

,the latest which is useless is from a company called bondit its PU18 polyurethane adhesive and sealant which has failed a few times.

I have used it to stick a 3" rope around the hardwood rubbing strip of my 21ft boat.

believe me, it has been tested a few times, like when the rope rides up on a lock wall, lifting part of the boat weight.

it has shown no sign of de-bonding or failing in any respect after 3 years.

the secret to all glueing, sealing and bonding is proper preparation and good design of the joint.

Yup! I can see a bottle of that from where I'm sitting at the laptop. Great believer in polyurethane glue. but if you're bonding wood onto GRP why not use tape and resin

Exactly. Epoxy is really the only proper solution for a wood/grp joint.

Worth reading the WEST System manual, if it's still available.