Oxford canal / R. Cherwell

Scholar Gypsy

Featured Posts

Could it be the barriers that stop you going over the weir, I believe they are made of a 'rubber' compound, recycled car tyres etc.

The same compound is used to protect some bridge holes etc.

Yes, it was the rubber barriers I was referring to...when the river sweeps across the cut it can get quite entertaining! We've abandoned our plans for a New Years Eve on the boat & are headed for Madeira!

I have never been that far down passed the Shipton lock cut so can't picture it. The one below Nells Bridge is a wooden one.

Its all lovely on the Oxford...& don't forget to buy your bangers at the Pig Place!http://www.thepigplace.co.uk

Facinating. Down here on the Kennet, only about 60 miles south, levels are low. A foot missing from several of the pounds I've cruised today. Got totally stranded on one lock landing (going downhill) after setting the lock ahead!

Went to Stratford today to do a bit of shopping & the Avon has swallowed up the path opposite the theatre...the basin was quite full with NB's, including a couple of hardy hirers who looked like they were having a great time.

I think Shockabilly is referring to the weir at Aynho. If you get anywhere near to the one at Shipston I think you have a bit of a problem...

Nice mooring alongside the lock, though...

attachicon.gif

it is a nice mooring alongside the lock, but it has been occupied this year

it is a nice mooring alongside the lock, but it has been occupied this year

Don't think I've ever seen it not occupied!

That's a pity. There used to be a sign saying "No overnight mooring". There is a happy medium, perhaps?

Pretty sure it's still there, and makes an excellent maureen steak.

I think Shockabilly is referring to the weir at Aynho. If you get anywhere near to the one at Shipston I think you have a bit of a problem...

attachicon.gifshipton_weir.jpg

Nice mooring alongside the lock, though...

attachicon.gifDSCF3013.JPG

You are correct...I baffled everyone (including myself) with using the Cherwell reference, I have no idea why I typed that (except for the fact I'm sampling my Warre's Vintage Port Christmas present) so sorry for confusing all you good folks! As it happens I adore the short stretch of the Cherwell & my snap is of us waiting for the lock this summer, I just wish it was navigable a bit further.

post-20249-0-20877200-1451424750_thumb.jpg

I went through Aynho weir yesterday pm. Levels had just dropped into the yellow. Quite a strong cross flow but easy to punch through coming out of the lock. Would have been much harder heading south and going into the lock.

Easier than it looks going south, provided you hug the right bank. Alight on the lock landing from the stern with your stern line first though, so the current can't grab the stern and turn the boat around!