Boat survey

Water Rat.

Featured Posts

Do you want a full survey, to include the whole boat and its mechanical and electrical equipment, or just a full hull condition report?

If it is for insurance purposes, for example, they will usually only require the latter, and that will not be as expensive, (although docking / craning / slipping charges will still be the same).

Whilst you might think having a short boat will make survey cheaper, I'm not convinced you will be quoted much less than if it was a lot longer.

EDIT: Didn't read it properly! Depending on where it is, you may have less choice if it is wide-beam you want to pull out. You are not turning to the Dark Side are you?? :lol:

Edited by alan_fincher

All the posts before are good advice.

Cost of survey though really is down to location, but yes cranage is a big chunk of a survey budget

Reading though your friends measurements are there boats made that size?

36 X 12 can't imagine it looking right

All the best

Col

Edited by bigcol

Cost of survey though really is down to location, but yes cranage is a big chunk of a survey budget

All the best

Col

Ours is 36' x 14' ( but is shaped Tupperware so it looks 'right')

All the best

Col

Do wide-beams ever look right?

laugh.png

Do wide-beams ever look right?

laugh.png

Funnily enough beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I vastly prefer the look of a widebeam ( so called ) over a narrowboat. After all narrowboats are by far the more abnormal design being only 7 feet wide over a 70 foot length makes them rather silly against other craft. A decent widebeam also is more stable and handles better than a narrowboat.

Tim

Funnily enough beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I vastly prefer the look of a widebeam ( so called ) over a narrowboat. After all narrowboats are by far the more abnormal design being only 7 feet wide over a 70 foot length makes them rather silly against other craft. A decent widebeam also is more stable and handles better than a narrowboat.

Tim

For once we are in full agreement. I hear this sort out nonsense all the time. I'm not sure why it s that so many narrowboaters think that the dimensions of their craft are somehow "normal" and anything wider is some sort of aberration. I know it's a cliche and I'm not sure why it is, but narrowboats often seem to equate to narrow minds.

Narrowboats are designed to fit into narrow locks and that's the only reason for their odd dimensions. Conversely, wide boats have been plying the broadbeam canals since the canals were built, so both types of working boat are traditional on the canals. However, there's nothing traditional about modern accommodation under a full length superstructure on either type of boat, so most people who think they own "traditional" narrowboats don't.

Edited by blackrose

The convention for beam is around 1/3rd of the length, so, in fact a 'widebeam' is actually far more normal than a narrow boat.

The above two posts are very true. The only reason I live on a narrowboat is that I wanted to travel inland again to a precise area and it happened to have silly 7 foot wide locks hence selling the vastly superior, vastly more comfortable widebeam.

Tim

Widebeams are certainly practical, but everything has been done to maximise interior space, with scant regard to aesthetics. On the better sort of narrowboat there are at least some nods to aesthetics, with interesting bows, a slight uplift to the coachroof at the back, and generally a rounded stern. By contrast, WBs often have a squared-off stern, which not even the most ardent WB-owner could describe as lovely.

There is also seldom any attempt to paint them in an interesting way, which is a shame as that could make a big difference. It's possible to go over the top with roses and castles, in my view, but WBs are invariably well under the top when it comes to attractive paint jobs.

Alan de is quite right about the height. However, low bridges make them impracticable. Even demountable ones wouldn't work as you'd spend all day putting them up and taking them down.

The reason that widebeams look ugly and out of proportion is that they are built with a very low airdraft to be able to utilise the canals - they look like those floating 'night-waste' barges.

Build a widebeam with a bit of 'height' to it and it looks fine. ( ala Dutch Barge etc)

I don't agree with your premise that widebeams look ugly and out of proportion. I think that description is much more suited to narrowboats.

Widebeams are certainly practical, but everything has been done to maximise interior space, with scant regard to aesthetics.

I'm not saying my boat is anything special, but to me it's certainly not ugly and much more aesthetically pleasing (and far less boring!) than most narrowboats that I see.

DSC00539-Copy_zps5955a79f.jpg

Bath%20and%20North%20East%20Somerset-201

utf-8BUmVhZGluZy0yMDEzMDQxOC0wMDIwMS5qcG

DSC_2949-1.jpg

Tim

You do however seem to have changed your views somewhat on the subject over the years.....

These were your very concise thoughts about wide-beams in 2011

They are not only ugly..........They are PIG UGLY.............. biggrin.gif

(Personally I think you were right in the first place, though! laugh.png)

I also think my Widebeam has a shape to it the gunwales are low in the middle, gaining height at each end.

Also I think her bum is quite peachy as well

Although I do understand beauty is in the eye of the beholder

post-7507-0-02261600-1451325794_thumb.jpeg

post-7507-0-77018700-1451326201_thumb.jpeg

post-7507-0-85563700-1451326402_thumb.jpeg

Edited by bigcol
  • Greenie 1