Floods

leeco

Featured Posts

According to Loafer its because all the overweight people live in the flood plains so the water has nowhere to go but the skinny peoples houses.

Or something like that.

Eh? What? Just woke up. What are we on about?

Whilst I would agree with your view on the Sugar Tax and minimum pricing for alcohol, I think that you views on fat metabolism is a bit simplistic. I also don't have to bother about what I eat so am equally fortunate on that front, with a BMI of 27 the tables say that I'm slightly overweight but since I'd need to weigh 11 stone (or grow 4 inches taller:unsure: ) to fit the ideal BMI of 25 I'll stay as I am (I haven't been 11 stone since I was 15!). I have however worked with a bloke in Devon who to look at you would say 'He's overweight isn't he' probably weighing about 18 stone and the same height as me. He has however tried pretty much all of the available diets without much success. On the other hand he can, and regularly does, walk between 10 and 15 miles across open moorland on Dartmoor, the description 'fit as a butchers dog' would aptly describe him and yet he cannot lose weight.

It isn't as simple as just 'eat less' because when you do that the body goes into a starvation mode which means that when you do eat food it stores it almost immediately in anticipation of being 'starved' again. Once you get into that cycle it becomes almost impossible to break since the longer you starve yourself the more the body will try to store energy next time that you eat. It also has to be considered that we all eat to a level that is surplus to the body's immediate energy requirements (unless you are from a famine area) the difference is how people's bodies deal with the food that is eaten. There is even the suggestion that constant light 'grazing' is more effective than any diet since it prevents the body going into 'starvation' mode.

The problem is that I've seen a number of people with weight problems and they are not all Mcdonalds eating, couch potatoes.

As my Doctor once said "Then why were the only fat men in Belsen German?"

Didn't you know obesity causes flooding?

Regards kris

The lack of floods in Ethiopia would show this to be an accurate observation.

According to Loafer its because all the overweight people live in the flood plains so the water has nowhere to go but the skinny peoples houses.

Or something like that.

The overweight people could be causing the land they stand on to sag below sea level?

Whilst I would agree with your view on the Sugar Tax and minimum pricing for alcohol, I think that you views on fat metabolism is a bit simplistic. I also don't have to bother about what I eat so am equally fortunate on that front, with a BMI of 27 the tables say that I'm slightly overweight but since I'd need to weigh 11 stone (or grow 4 inches tallerunsure.png ) to fit the ideal BMI of 25 I'll stay as I am (I haven't been 11 stone since I was 15!). I have however worked with a bloke in Devon who to look at you would say 'He's overweight isn't he' probably weighing about 18 stone and the same height as me. He has however tried pretty much all of the available diets without much success. On the other hand he can, and regularly does, walk between 10 and 15 miles across open moorland on Dartmoor, the description 'fit as a butchers dog' would aptly describe him and yet he cannot lose weight.

It isn't as simple as just 'eat less' because when you do that the body goes into a starvation mode which means that when you do eat food it stores it almost immediately in anticipation of being 'starved' again. Once you get into that cycle it becomes almost impossible to break since the longer you starve yourself the more the body will try to store energy next time that you eat. It also has to be considered that we all eat to a level that is surplus to the body's immediate energy requirements (unless you are from a famine area) the difference is how people's bodies deal with the food that is eaten. There is even the suggestion that constant light 'grazing' is more effective than any diet since it prevents the body going into 'starvation' mode.

The problem is that I've seen a number of people with weight problems and they are not all Mcdonalds eating, couch potatoes.

I am afraid that you are over-simplifying.

The secret to losing weight is to combine a lower calorie diet with plenty of muscle-building exercise and protein. Unfortunately, this is hard work, which is why most attempts to lose weight fail.

Your friend who regularly walks across Dartmoor isn't actually burning many calories. He needs to get down to the gym, or take up rowing.

The secret to losing weight is to combine a lower calorie diet with plenty of muscle-building exercise and protein. Unfortunately, this is hard work, which is why most attempts to lose weight fail.

Your friend who regularly walks across Dartmoor isn't actually burning many calories. He needs to get down to the gym, or take up rowing.

I find swimming best. Exercises all muscle groups without excessive strain (I have a few injuries). Push bike good too. Hard work though as you say and older equals harder!

Weight is a funny thing in that when I started to "lose" weight and exercise earlier in the year, I lost inches of fat, having to buy a smaller belt etc, but my wieght went up bit at one point! It has come down considerably since (20+ lbs.) I suspect this is when people lose heart, but muscle is heavier than fat. My good mate has dropped from 22 stone to 19 stone this last year.

Edit: My wife found this in her school exercise book from 40 years ago. This was for a teenager!:

Eat each day

2 pints milk,

2 oz cheese

1oz of bacon

1 egg

10 slices of bread

teaspoon cocoa

1 orange

once a week

liver

oily fish

then eat what you like on top of this!

Edited by Guest

13993930761961_700.jpg

Excellent!

One winters weather does not equal climate change.

Nor is am certain how much our effect on the planet it responsible for the climate changing.

However, a better world is not a bad aim!

Daniel

Edit: My wife found this in her school exercise book from 40 years ago. This was for a teenager!:

Eat each day

2 pints milk,

2 oz cheese

1oz of bacon

1 egg

10 slices of bread

teaspoon cocoa

1 orange

once a week

liver

oily fish

then eat what you like on top of this!

So just one of your five a day!

So just one of your five a day!

Classic isn't it? No mention of apples etc.

What amazed me was 10 rounds of bread per day, and two pints of full fat milk. But the icing on the cake was that you could eat anything you like after consuming these basic foods! That is my kind of diet :)

I think you need to check up on your stats here. The 18 stone Dartmoor walker (have you ever walked on Dartmoor? Ask the Marines about it) will actually burn at least 1300 calories on his 10 mile walk (or 1900 calories on his 15 mile walk) which would take him 1 hour and 40 minutes to achieve at a moderate rowing pace down the gym (who want to row for an hour and a half?). If you add to this his basal metabolic rate of 2200 calories we are talking of him burning a total of between 3000 and 4000 calories, not exactly insignificant.

Edited by Wanderer Vagabond

I think you need to check up on your stats here. The 18 stone Dartmoor walker (have you ever walked on Dartmoor? Ask the Marines about it) will actually burn at least 1300 calories on his 10 mile walk (or 1900 calories on his 15 mile walk) which would take him 1 hour and 40 minutes to achieve at a moderate rowing pace down the gym (who want to row for an hour and a half?). If you add to this his basal metabolic rate of 2200 calories we are talking of him burning a total of between 3000 and 4000 calories, not exactly insignificant.

Its definitely possible to be overweight and strong and/or good at light aerobic exercises. Big eaters can replace the calories burned by any normal amount of exercise though.

It might still be a bad idea to be fit + heavy: I read an article lately (from a questionable source IIRC - perhaps Daily Mail online) that says (statistically speaking) people like this die later than inactive+overweight people but younger than inactive+normal-weight people.

The situation with blanket peat moorland is slightly more complicated than the description in your article, but there is a strong core of truth. The big issue is with historical gripping (drains) which sends the water off the moor as quickly as possible to promote heather at the expense of other species, however the old canard of peat being like a sponge isn't quite the case either- peat in many ways behaves like concrete, with water running straight off. Healthy peat has very low hydraulic conductivity- most of the apparent absorbsion is via pipes, or underground cracks in degraded peat. To reduce or attenuate those destructive spikes in flood hydrographs, stopping the intensive management of grouse moors is a start, but needs to be coupled with other changes in management, such as removal of sheep in favour of lower intensity grazing or the cessation of grazing alltogether to promote a larger vegetation structure including scrub and trees, particularly downslope away from the peat dome. This will slow down runoff, hopefully removing the damaging extreme spikes - higher river levels for longer, but without the damaging short term extreme flows.

However, extreme events are just that, and these measures need to be coupled with both engineering solutions and a re-evaluation of how and where we build, but that requires a change in attitude by planners, house builders and most importantly the prospective inhabitants.

Thanks for that lucid and helpful explanation. Even I (definitely a non-scientific type) understood it! Have a greeno.

Personally, I am in favour of a massive sugar tax. Not to mention a high minimum price for alcohol sold in supermarkets

I'd rather see a minimal price for alcoholic drinks! (Today's hot tip: packs of four 440 ml. tins of Black Sheep Ale, £2.99 at B&M). That, from a quick mental calculation, is about 90p a pint for a pretty decent drink.

As for a tax on sugar, I don't think that many people in a country where a programme about baking cakes is one of the most-watched on television will agree with you.

I'd rather see a minimal price for alcoholic drinks! (Today's hot tip: packs of four 440 ml. tins of Black Sheep Ale, £2.99 at B&M). That, from a quick mental calculation, is about 90p a pint for a pretty decent drink.

As for a tax on sugar, I don't think that many people in a country where a programme about baking cakes is one of the most-watched on television will agree with you.

Morrisons do 500ml bottles of Banks's for 91p and 500ml bottles of Spitfire for £1.00 None of your cans!

Morrisons do 500ml bottles of Banks's for 91p and 500ml bottles of Spitfire for £1.00 None of your cans!

Yes indeed, the Spitfire offer has been on since before Christmas and I have made the best of it. In our branch at least, it's not the normal Spitfire, it's Spitfire Gold which is satisfyingly bitter. Banks' are a worthy and long-established company, but I am not so fond of that particular brew.

Oops, we seem to have wandered off "Floods" but at least we are still on a liquid theme.

Yes indeed, the Spitfire offer has been on since before Christmas and I have made the best of it. In our branch at least, it's not the normal Spitfire, it's Spitfire Gold which is satisfyingly bitter. Banks' are a worthy and long-established company, but I am not so fond of that particular brew.

Oops, we seem to have wandered off "Floods" but at least we are still on a liquid theme.

Although arguably, we are still on topic given that 'flood' is the Chinese word for 'food'...

:D :D

Up here in the West Riding of Yorkshire there be a fair proper selection of real ales, not the 'fake' ones in bottles that you'll find in les supermarché.

Occasionally you come across elderly cycle tourists, those that have avoided Sabcat's euthanasic grasp, and they are always thin and fit looking.

Next time I'm at Helsinki airport I shall be wearing wellies.

Up here in the West Riding of Yorkshire there be a fair proper selection of real ales, not the 'fake' ones in bottles that you'll find in les supermarché.

Alas, most supermarkets do not yet have handpumps, so buying in bottle or tin is the only way to go. I bought some Yorkshire-brewed beer today and it's definitely a "real" ale - Black Sheep. But I would have to go many a mile to find it on draught, and I actually want to drink it at home with my dinner!

Is Ward's still brewed? "Ward's Fine Malt Ales" used to be a West Riding firm, somewhere in the Sheffield area. Amazingly, I found a pub in Holborn, central London, which sold it.

Alas, most supermarkets do not yet have handpumps, so buying in bottle or tin is the only way to go. I bought some Yorkshire-brewed beer today and it's definitely a "real" ale - Black Sheep. But I would have to go many a mile to find it on draught, and I actually want to drink it at home with my dinner!

Is Ward's still brewed? "Ward's Fine Malt Ales" used to be a West Riding firm, somewhere in the Sheffield area. Amazingly, I found a pub in Holborn, central London, which sold it.

I don't know about recently but in the early days of Black Sheep you could buy it in pubs, served in bottles, within an easy walk of the brewery.

Flood stuff - I shall post a link to pics I took of the Rochdale near Hebden Bridge & of the town, probably tomorrow.

The River Calder has left a line of debris in surrounding trees all along its length.

Has there been any damage to the Leeds & Liverpool Canal due to the recent rains?