Pumping out by hand

Joelsanders

Featured Posts

I'll try not to be graphic.

3 years ago, I spent a small fortune on a hand pump and never found the courage to use it.

Yesterday morning, out of necessity, I used it for the first time. I moored up by an elsan point and pumped out into a 25 litre plastic container before decantering into the elsan. I did this 3 or 4 times until the job was finished.

Ideally, it's a 2 person job though - one person operating the pump, whilst the other holds the exit hose steady (in my case, a wide, soft hose - roughly 7 feet long). I deliberately bought a shorter hose as - being a single boater - I knew that the longer, standard ones, intended for pumping out directly into the Elsan, would be less practical for me.

Does anyone with experience of operating a hand pump single handedly in the way I have described have any tips on stopping the exit hose from flying out of the container during the pumping process? My 2 thoughts so far are (1) attaching a weight to the end (2) cutting the hose down to 4 ft so that I can hold it with one hand whilst pumping with the other.

Next time I do this, my goals are to eliminate trauma and not to follow up with a trip to the launderette.

Edited by Joelsanders

Using a manual pump, phew, I thought you meant scooping it out by your own hand.

Only done this once as our pump out pump is for emergencies only.

One hand to work the pump, the other to hold the (short) hose into the container.

What I would like to see is 1-1/2 BSP fittings at all pumpouts so that self pump outs could be done safely and cleanly.

Most plastic containers have a screw cap so you could find a way to fix the hose to this, but take care not to pressurise the container!

.............Dave

• Greenie 1

Using a manual pump, phew, I thought you meant scooping it out by your own hand.

Only done this once as our pump out pump is for emergencies only.

One hand to work the pump, the other to hold the (short) hose into the container.

What I would like to see is 1-1/2 BSP fittings at all pumpouts so that self pump outs could be done safely and cleanly.

Most plastic containers have a screw cap so you could find a way to fix the hose to this, but take care not to pressurise the container!

.............Dave

Thanks Dave

I regard mine as for emergencies only too, hence yesterday being its first use in 3 years.

I tried putting the cap on lightily but the pump action caused it to fly off every time.

You've got me thinking about cutting a hole in the cap though and screwing it on tightly.

Edited by Joelsanders

Have the container next to you, use one of your feet to "stand" on the container thereby holding it still with the hose in.

This def won't work with a 7 ft hose (it needs to be fully extended to work). The other issue would be - if standing - I won't be able to reach the pump . It would, however, work if it was a foot pump

Have the container next to you, use one of your feet to "stand" on the container thereby holding it still with the hose in.

This def won't work with a 7 ft hose (it needs to be fully extended to work). The other issue would be - if standing - I won't be able to reach the pump . It would, however, work if it was a foot pump

Duct tape? Don't seal it though, just use the tape to secure it, leave an air gap for "breathing".

Simple & obvious ! Might just work - thx

My discharge hose is about 4ft long reinforced pipe and stays in the 25L container filler neck ok. I have 3 containers by experience the three equal 15 days so every 2 weeks empties the holding tank which can last 4 weeks. So in emergency I can last upto 6 weeks .

Edited by b0atman

Life is too short for self pumpouts. Pumpout bogs cost money to run and if u aint got the money to do the job buy a proper boat toilet which is very easy and free usualy to empty. If u need the in an emergency situation carry a roper boat toilet for when the pump out jobby is full or broken etc etc.

Funnily enough most people I have met over the years who r in the pumpout school carry a proper boat bog ( just in case ) lol but I have never met anybody with a proper toilet who carried a ( Pump out system ) just in case.

Tim

• Greenie 1

I thought CaRT specifically state you shouldn't pump out into Elsan disposal points, (even using a container) as nearly 100 litres at one go is too much for the system?

You are wrong!

Some elsan points say no self pump out but by no means all of them.....usually the ones connected to a mains sewer.

I'm more than happy with my self pump out kit, paid for itself many times over throughth the years.....and we never make a mess...unlike some of the bucket and chuck it brigade.......

Cheers

Gareth

I'll try not to be graphic.

3 years ago, I spent a small fortune on a hand pump and never found the courage to use it.

Yesterday morning, out of necessity, I used it for the first time. I moored up by an elsan point and pumped out into a 25 litre plastic container before decantering into the elsan. I did this 3 or 4 times until the job was finished.

Ideally, it's a 2 person job though - one person operating the pump, whilst the other holds the exit hose steady (in my case, a wide, soft hose - roughly 7 feet long). I deliberately bought a shorter hose as - being a single boater - I knew that the longer, standard ones, intended for pumping out directly into the Elsan, would be less practical for me.

Does anyone with experience of operating a hand pump single handedly in the way I have described have any tips on stopping the exit hose from flying out of the container during the pumping process? My 2 thoughts so far are (1) attaching a weight to the end (2) cutting the hose down to 4 ft so that I can hold it with one hand whilst pumping with the other.

Next time I do this, my goals are to eliminate trauma and not to follow up with a trip to the launderette.

Used to use mine regularly when moored at Fenny S, my hose was 30 foot long and used to be tied at the elsan drop so the end stayed put. :) May I suggest hose into the container and a rope securing it around the neck of the container.

Life is too short for self pumpouts. Pumpout bogs cost money to run and if u aint got the money to do the job buy a proper boat toilet which is very easy and free usualy to empty. If u need the in an emergency situation carry a roper boat toilet for when the pump out jobby is full or broken etc etc.

Funnily enough most people I have met over the years who r in the pumpout school carry a proper boat bog ( just in case ) lol but I have never met anybody with a proper toilet who carried a ( Pump out system ) just in case.

Tim

Pretty much our set up. We have a pump out and porta potti as emergency back up.

Due to a an unforeseen stoppage we couldn't get to our planned service point so had to use the porta potti for a couple of days.

Yesterday I got a pump out done and emptied the porta potti at the same time which reminded me why I prefer a pump out loo. I don't miss having to empty a cassette every 2-3 days whilst nearly throwing up during the process

Takes no longer than emptying a portapotti :)

In point of fact, it perhaps takes no longer than emptying 4 portapottis plus a load of anaconda wrestling with several feet of s4it filled pipework, but I'm still with Wanderer Vagabond on this!

I'd be surprised if portapotti users were all that enamoured with this practice swamping a sanitary station.

My discharge hose is about 4ft long reinforced pipe and stays in the 25L container filler neck ok. I have 3 containers by experience the three equal 15 days so every 2 weeks empties the holding tank which can last 4 weeks. So in emergency I can last upto 6 weeks .

What's the capacity of your holding tank?

Tim

By "proper boat toilet" do you mean a cassette? I'm unclear.

It's often a case of making the best of what your boat came with. I've owned 2 boats - and they both came with a Pump out. If I ever get a new boat, I'm finally at the point where I know exactly what I want and where I want it.

I don't have room to carry a 2nd toilet but I know several boaters who do.

If you had a cassette, why would you trouble yourself with the expense and practical implications of having a pump out as a spare?

A solid bit of pipe on the end also helps more so if it has a bend

Makes sense. Similar principle to my thought about attaching a weight

And there was me thinking that the whole purpose of the pump out was so that you didn't have to do thisrolleyes.gifsick.gif

Exactly

Just once in 8 years have I been reduced to this level on indignity, whilst I believe some boaters choose to do it a couple of times every week!

...............Dave

And there was me thinking that the whole purpose of the pump out was so that you didn't have to do this:rolleyes::sick:

You have to do it less often.

If you're in a marina with a pump out facility , there's no hassle,

If you continuously cruise, as I do, you'll generally be aware of pump out facilities on your route and plan accordingly.

A lock closure had kept me from accessing the next pump out on my route and my Plan B (service boat) had a full pump out tank when he passed me. In 3 years, it's the first time I had no viable option of getting get a 'professional' pump out (other than 5 hours cruising in the opposite direction to where I'm heading). It's not a frequent hassle.

That said, since I have the kit & have finally used it, I'm now inclined to save money and stop worrying about where my nearest pump out is. Just need to improve my technique.

Pretty much our set up. We have a pump out and porta potti as emergency back up.

Due to a an unforeseen stoppage we couldn't get to our planned service point so had to use the porta potti for a couple of days.

Yesterday I got a pump out done and emptied the porta potti at the same time which reminded me why I prefer a pump out loo. I don't miss having to empty a cassette every 2-3 days whilst nearly throwing up during the process

I only have experience of a pump out. Yesterday was the first time I've looked at an Elsan point. It's an experience I'd like to keep to a minimum.

My holding tank is about 400 lts and is under the bed. No, it doesn't smell at all.

However, I do get a bit of a pumpout list, (adjusted by moving a bag or two of coal) just before the warning light comes on.

Once the light is on, I start looking for a pumpout point or marina. I have gone two weeks with the light on

but I don't push it.

Rob....

Tim

.. and thus normality is restored. It's been a while ..