Small row boat recommendations

Martin Megson

Featured Posts

I'd build my own. Plenty of cheap designs around.

You need to identify what you want to use it for and pick a suitable design.

Inflatables would not feature in any of my lists!

Here's a selection of different home built boats (HBB) on our annual pilgrimage, down the Thames from Lechlade, to the Beale Park Boat Show (which incidentally is a great place to look and try a variety of small boats)

Wouldn't on mine if I wanted a "serious" rowing boat. Even our Mirror dinghy rowed/motored better than the Avon. However our Avon inflatable is great for occasional use, and I wouldn't be without it. Ever wondered why they are so popular with yachties? Horses for courses.

mainly because they don't damage the gel coat.

Certainly. But other reasons are they very convenient in that they can be inflated/defalated quickly, easily stowed aboard or in a car boot, can utilise a modest sized outboard, and carry a reasonable number of people/amount of goods. Very versatile little boats in my experience. Wouldn't choose one to go for a long row on the Thames, but great tenders which is largely what they were intended for. Also have a good lifespan if cared for; I believe ours is from the '70's (as is our Seagull outboard.)

Again, it is horses for courses.

Edited by Guest