Small row boat recommendations

Martin Megson

Featured Posts

I had a Funyak 280 which I eventually sold to a guy who comfortably lifted it onto his car roof. A good size dinghy 2.8 x 1.25 and has the advantage of being self draining, will carry 3 adults IIRC.

Regarding a trolling motor, Minkota are reliable, and a rule of thumb for endurance is that they use 1 a/h per pound of thrust. We started of with a 24lb engine, then a 36lb one and finally a 55lb thrust model. Over 55lb thrust you are looking at 24v

Chris at one time went to work on a tidal river in her 55lb thrust equipped dinghy so they are quite capable.

Phil

I had a Funyak 280 which I eventually sold to a guy who comfortably lifted it onto his car roof. A good size dinghy 2.8 x 1.25 and has the advantage of being self draining, will carry 3 adults IIRC.

Regarding a trolling motor, Minkota are reliable, and a rule of thumb for endurance is that they use 1 a/h per pound of thrust. We started of with a 24lb engine, then a 36lb one and finally a 55lb thrust model. Over 55lb thrust you are looking at 24v

Chris at one time went to work on a tidal river in her 55lb thrust equipped dinghy so they are quite capable.

Phil

Just in case anyone is googling this or looking on e-bay its spelt MINN KOTA

Hi,

I'm looking to get a small row boat, capable of taking an electric trolling motor, that is lightweight so I can stow it on the roof. Probably no more than 2.5m long should be enough.

Any recommendations for both suitable boats and motors welcome.

Martin,have you considered an inflatable?

A good quality used one can be picked up for as little as £ 150

One advantage of them is you can stow it inside your boat should you leave it unattended for an extended period of time.

CT

Martin,have you considered an inflatable?

A good quality used one can be picked up for as little as £ 150

One advantage of them is you can stow it inside your boat should you leave it unattended for an extended period of time.

CT

Or even a folding one

I bought an Avon Redstart inflatable for 200 quid a few years back. Still got it and as tough as old boots. Excellent dinghy and carries 3 adults I think?

Those Avon Redstart/Redcrest inflatables roll up even smaller than boats with a plywood transom.

Their only flaw is that the rubber mounts for the outboard bracket can peel off after long exposure to Salty water

there is a cure for that problem,so still a good dingy

CT

• 3 months later...

Hi There,

Im giving a big thumbs up for the avon redcrest,

they are constructed from hypalon and will far outlive any cheap PVC craft.

Have a look at this list anything hypalon would be a great option, they come up second hand on ebay quite a lot

https://ribright.co.uk/advise-information-inflatable-boat-repair/

Hope this might help someone.

Tommy K

Seahopper folding dinghey

Another vote for the seahopper. We had one when I was a kid and I loved it. A few years back my dad sold it, without telling me. I'd have bought it myself if I'd known. Can row it, will take a small outboard but best of all you can sail it.

http://www.seahopperfoldingboats.com/

I got mine from the Thames near Kingston. When the river floods, boats come floating down and the locals catch them and tie them up. If they stay around too long they get broken up, so mine was free

Richard

The Avon range of tenders are very good boats,ideal tender for offshore yachts. .Not sure if they still make the tenders,but they were serious money new.(£1,000+ in todays money). I picked up an unused one,with floors,outboard bracket,oars,front dodger,kitbag,repair kit and origional instructions on ebay for £350-

it depends what you want from a 'rowing boat'.

I would put directional stability and lateral resistance to side winds as being very important, which rules out inflatables and sportyak type boats.

personally I would go for a skiff or traditional dory shape, probably home built from a couple of sheets of marine plywood. see post #4

Or even a folding one

I had a couple of the folding porta bores and they are a great bit of kit but the storage of the thwart seats ,transom plate inside your boat makes them an unsuitable choice for Narrowboat tender imo

Phil

Had a few Min Kota englinesI over the years on small fishing boats and all have been faultless only draw back is weight of battery esp if one of the 24v models and don't believe the hype of a 50 or 55 being equivalent of 2hp or so

I'd build my own. Plenty of cheap designs around.

You need to identify what you want to use it for and pick a suitable design.

Inflatables would not feature in any of my lists!

Here's a selection of different home built boats (HBB) on our annual pilgrimage, down the Thames from Lechlade, to the Beale Park Boat Show (which incidentally is a great place to look and try a variety of small boats)