Rugby Boat Sales Website

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

Is one supposed to change one's bed linen from time to time then??!!

:ninja::ninja::ninja:

Well.... um.... ok to be honest I gave up waiting for them to get up and walk away on their own, so had to do some fast (but late) learning. All very much different no that I am older, wiser and....er..ok not on my own any more.? Edited by Woodsy

Is one supposed to change one's bed linen from time to time then??!!

ninja.gifninja.gifninja.gif

One is supposed to find very urgent jobs to do, preferably some distance away from the bedroom, whenever The Crew expresses a wish for clean bedding.

That does look a lovely set up. I've never seen under a tug deck before. Fitting it out must have been quite challenging.

I suppose that in an ideal world they would fit out the bedroom and put the steel "lid" on afterwards. But I don't think that anyone ever does.

Herbert's bedroom is perhaps even more attractive and inviting than that of Emerald No. 1 which was sold a few months ago. That was fitted out at Fox's, where one of the skilled craftsmen must be at least 6'5" tall. Challenging is the word!

When I spoke to the owners of Herbert a few weeks ago, they said they'd probably get someone to move the boat to Stowe Hill Wharf for them -- they're selling so reluctantly, they didn't think they could cope with a final journey. Looks as though you had a good time, though.

20151120_103742_zpsmrvchb4h.jpg

20151120_132135_zpstwsuyzzs.jpg

Couple more of Herbert with no snow.

20151120_115507_zps0bgm4jvm.jpg

20151120_154211_zpszx6xw88l.jpg

Good pictures of Herbert (lovely boat!), but built in 2008 and pictured at Stoke Bruerne with the 'Navigation' unconverted? Mmmm!!.

Sorry = looks as though it's in 'winter mode' with all the benches huddled together......

Edited by LEO

• 2 weeks later...

The best laid plans as Shakespeare put it...

Changing a website is never going to please everyone, and when it doesn't work properly it is going to please no one at all. I've been tinkering with this new build for a couple of months or more, and it all worked perfectly on a testing site. However, in switching from the test domain to the main domain name (rugbyboats.co.uk) the new host somehow managed to install a part-built old back up of the test site. After much to-ing and fro-ing over several days the proper version was reinstalled, but with some broken image links, which is why placeholders appeared instead. I was away in France when this happened, so I had to get somewhere where I could access the back end of the site and fix them. In all, it was about 4 days before everything was back to normal. Apart from the annoying intrusion into a holiday, it would have made no difference if I had been trying to put it right from the office.

I know some people preferred the lay out of the old site, but the fact is that technology has moved on, and it was not so good on handheld devices. With the rolling out of 4G in the UK, some 40% of internet browsing is now conducted on smart phones, and if you don't build a website that is fast enough and easy to read to cater for that market, you are limiting the business which is no good for the customers or, ultimately, the health of the company. I liked the old site too - I built that as well, after all. When I launched that back in 2010 I got several angry emails complaining about the previous version it replaced! wink.png However, I like the new site (obviously) and I think it is clean and quick and presents the boats well.

Anyway, thank you for the concern, and to those who contacted me directly to tell me of the problem, and happy New Year.

Edited by Dominic M

Anyway, thank you for the concern, and to those who contacted me directly to tell me of the problem, and happy New Year.

And to you too.

It's still not obvious where and how to contact you though Dominic.

Unless I am missing something??

And to you too.

It's still not obvious where and how to contact you though Dominic.

Unless I am missing something??

It's there now, but still no informatuion on how a boat is placed on brokerage, and no terms and conditions. unless I am missing something.

Well I may be being dense, but can't immediately see any kind of "Contact Us" or indded even the address where RBS is based.

I guess it must be, but it seems less than obvious?

The phone number has now been added to the banner on the homepage along with an 'email us' link.

No address that I can see yet though.

As Dominic has retained the "Rugby Boat Sales" name when he took over at Stowe Hill, it seems fairly obvious that you need something that indicates that it is not actually in Rugby!

No it is the boring wordy stuff. I see the PDF has now been updated and no black cloud, perhaps the details have now been owner approved?

I suspect you are using Firefox as your browser. For some reason it behaves differently with elements of pdf files to Chrome, Safari, Opera and IE. However, I am very grateful that you pointed out this to me and I have, as you say, "fixed it". It is tempting to replace the boring wordy stuff with some snappy jokes but I fear I might reap the wrath of the boat owner if I do so. :-)

The phone number has now been added to the banner on the homepage along with an 'email us' link.

The address is at the bottom of the page, but as it is tagged onto the end of the copyright notice it isn't very obvious.

I would also add that I am grateful for the input. It is like having a focus group whose ideas I am pleased to read and am very happy to take on board. Not least because the observations about the functioning of the new website are by and large absolutely right.

Thank you.

Edited by Dominic M
  • Greenie 1