Cyclists

Featured Posts

rofl - that is brilliant... and SO true!!! The last time we were there, I got knocked over... much to the amusement of my other half who blamed me for being a clumsy ginger *wat .... which I thought was a bit harsh but took on the chin.

Now that is Hair Colour discrimination at its WORST! Stamp on that sort of behaviour in your family before it gets out of hand!

The bike is a serious mode of transport there and walking on a cycle lane is as danfgerous as meandering in the road. Shouldn't be done.

Here, well the infrastructure is non existant causing all sections of the community to come into conflict. Especialy as some people see themselves more important/entitled than everyone else.

• Greenie 2

When I went to Amsterdam I gave up trying to avoid the bikes and hired one instead, but hopefully I was a bit more considerate to pedestrians than the cyclist on that facebook clip!

I'm puzzled. When I click that facebook I see a professionally produced montage of dozens of cycling clips carefully edited to make the cyclists look inconsiderate, and not particularly funny.

Are others here seeing a different clip?

• Greenie 1

• 1 year later...

I crossed an Amsterdam oneway street looking the oneway to be sure no vehicles coming only to be hit very forcibly by a local cyclist from the rear. As a Brit I apologised but stated I believed it was a one way street. The Gloggy dusted himself off, picked up his fallen machine and announced very gruffly  " NOT FOR CYCLISTS !!! ".   stupid eh !   Another point for Brexit.

8 hours ago, Irob said:

I crossed an Amsterdam oneway street looking the oneway to be sure no vehicles coming only to be hit very forcibly by a local cyclist from the rear. As a Brit I apologised but stated I believed it was a one way street. The Gloggy dusted himself off, picked up his fallen machine and announced very gruffly  " NOT FOR CYCLISTS !!! ".   stupid eh !   Another point for Brexit.

Do you mean something like this photographed at Sheepcote Street, Birmingham

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.4768834,-1.915369,3a,75y,218.18h,71.19t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sUwNAUPLlzVRUvKm1y5UbVw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Someone who crosses a road in another country without checking all directions pretty much gets what they deserve:rolleyes:

• 7 months later...

Whether it is proved that clips have been edited to show inconsiderate behaviour by cyclists, or not, the number of cyclists who are inconsiderate remains a low percentage, I believe. There is still enough of the inconsiderate people to fill up many clips of such behaviour though. In Birmingham there are those that cycle along New Street at speed weaving in and out between the many pedestrians there. On the Farmers Bridge locks cyclists still race up and down the towpath and speed around the ICC and Arena.

In this politically correct world certain people, in fact a growing number of people, believe they have the right to do so. On the streets it is a police matter to enforce, on the towpaths should CRT do more to prevent selfish behavior?

Edited by Heartland

36 minutes ago, Heartland said:

Whether it is proved that clips have been edited to show inconsiderate behaviour by cyclists, or not, the number of cyclists who are inconsiderate remains a low percentage, I believe. There is still enough of the inconsiderate people to fill up many clips of such behaviour though. In Birmingham there are those that cycle along New Street at speed weaving in and out between the many pedestrians there. On the Farmers Bridge locks cyclists still race up and down the towpath and speed around the ICC and Arena.

In this politically correct world certain people, in fact a growing number of people, believe they have the right to do so. On the streets it is a police matter to enforce, on the towpaths should CRT do more to prevent selfish behavior?

Yes. Speed bumps every 10 mt - preferably angled towards the canal! :)

The location of the barriers were chosen to reduce the risk to walkers and boaters through inconsiderate cyclists passing along the towpath at speed. These locations included certain mooring spots or areas where there are a high number of pedestrians on the towpath. 

It seems to be a facet of our society where people believe their personal interests over-ride the wishes or feelings of others. That is why we see the unregistered trail bikes roaring along the canal side, the fixed wheel cyclists doing their bit to practice for the next Tour de France or the quad bikes churning up as much ground as possible. Sooner or later CRT will have to make a decision as to how to control this situation. The worst outcome that will affect all is the total ban for all cyclists on the towpaths of England and Wales. Few, I believe want that,  but if there are more serious injuries to pedestrians, the Courts may see differently. 

Edited by Heartland
  • Greenie 1