Macerator vs Dump through (split from Macerator toilet of choice)

Starcoaster

Featured Posts

Without wishing to derail the thread, what are the perceived advantages of a macerator over a dump-through? (As a casetteer, my only knowledge of pump outs is peeing in other people's.)

As long as it is properly installed and maintained with two large breathers and ideally a brushless computer fan to vent one breather in my view there are no advantages and potentially lots of disadvantages - like flat batteries no use of toilet.

KIS

Macerator

+ flexibility of toilet location

+ flexibility of tank location

+ less clogging of tank ???

+ less smell

+ perception of being more civilised

- more noise

- frost damage risk

- power requirement

- water requirement

- requirement for intelligent use - no banned waste items

- messier maintenance possibilities

Please please PLEASE!!! I asked for this thread to not go off topic. Please can the mods take this debate out of my thread and start a new one?

I have a Jabsco, which I'm happy with. I think the biggest cause of issues is the standard of fitting.

Which Jabsco do you have? Any quirks of using it I should know about? :)

Edited by BlueStringPudding

Macerator

+ flexibility of toilet location

+ flexibility of tank location

+ less clogging of tank ???

+ less smell

+ perception of being more civilised

- more noise

- frost damage risk

- power requirement

- water requirement

- requirement for intelligent use - no banned waste items

- messier maintenance possibilities

Succinct and pretty comprehensive. I would just add Aesthetically More Pleasing, and Less Of A Shock To Landsmen.

Please please PLEASE!!! I asked for this thread to not go off topic. Please can the mods take this debate out of my thread and start a new one?

I have a Jabsco, which I'm happy with. I think the biggest cause of issues is the standard of fitting.

[/quote

Which Jabsco do you have? Any quirks of using it I should know about? :)

Asking for a thread not to go even slightly off-topic is asking the impossible on this forum. Just relax and go with the flow...

As for Jabscos, they're OK. Just don't forget the fuse, or our good friend Graham will be onto you. And keep some spares. And mount the whole shebang so that it is accessible when things go wrong. As they will.

It's one of the facts of boating life that the things that go wrong will fall into one of the following categories:

They are inaccessible.

You don't have a spare.

Spares are no longer available.

Spares cost as almost as much as a complete new unit. (Yes, I am thinking of you, Vetus.)

It's going to be very messy to fix (toilets, leaving the cap off the oil filler).

Etc.

Good luck.

I am surprised that a member of the site crew thought it necessary to split this thread. Presumably a serial complainer has been complaining again. Just remember, if you keep paying the Dane-geld, you will never get rid of the Dane.

And I am also surprised at the title. You can't have macerator versus pump-out, because a macerator IS a form of pump-out toilet. Probably the main form on modern boats.

• Greenie 1

I am surprised that a member of the site crew thought it necessary to split this thread. Presumably a serial complainer has been complaining again. Just remember, if you keep paying the Dane-geld, you will never get rid of the Dane.

And I am also surprised at the title. You can't have macerator versus pump-out, because a macerator IS a form of pump-out toilet. Probably the main form on modern boats.

I'm surprised too.

I'll change the title now, to something more logical.

I'm surprised too.

So it wasn't you that deleted the question I posed?

Seems it was.

Edited by MJG

Good summing up by System 4-50.

For me, the main thing would be the location of the tank. If it, or part of it, can be located under the input device, then dump through every time, on the grounds of simplicity.

If the tank is elsewhere, then it has to be a macerator.

So, dump through if possible, macerator if you have to.

It's odd that this subject should always be so emotive. After all, those with potties, dump-throughs or macerators are largely stuck with what they've got fitted already. First time boat buyers will be swamped by the subjectivity of the argument, so only the very occasional person changing or someone experienced having a new build is really going to understand another's opinion or likely to be convinced. Yet still it must be one of the subjects that folk get wrapped around the axle about the most. Go figure.

Asking for a thread not to go even slightly off-topic is asking the impossible on this forum.

I'm not sure that's always a good thing however, is it!

Time and a place and all that.

Thanks Paul.

Daniel

• 3 weeks later...

Hello.... Dump through master race reporting in.

It's one step up from a medieval privvy.

Can be a bit whiffy in high summer, even with bio tank treatment. (When the ball valve is opened).

But if something breaks, you can fix it yourself.

No power requirement is a big plus.

And the fact you can use the MK1 eyeball to determine when the tank needs emptying.

Not for the faint of heart though.

Like the person above said, it came with the boat.

If we had lots of spare cash, I might think of installing a macerator.

But after the many horror stories I have heard, probably not.

I like the Fact that it is a simple system.

Good summing up by System 4-50.

For me, the main thing would be the location of the tank. If it, or part of it, can be located under the input device, then dump through every time, on the grounds of simplicity.

If the tank is elsewhere, then it has to be a macerator.

So, dump through if possible, macerator if you have to.

That's why ours is a macerator (replaced a Porta Potti five years ago).

Put simply the dump through will probably never go wrong and the Macerator definately will at some point.

Tim

Provided you are careful not to put anything hard down it, the macerator will probably give you at least ten year's reliable service. If it then goes wrong, I would regard that as a small price to pay for not having a dump-through.

Provided you are careful not to put anything hard down it, the macerator will probably give you at least ten year's reliable service. If it then goes wrong, I would regard that as a small price to pay for not having a dump-through.

Don't wet-wipes cause as much problems either??

Don't wet-wipes cause as much problems either??

Yes absolutely. Interestingly, 17 managed to get through my diaphragm pump (which I installed instead of a macerator) before finally one totally blocked the exit pipe from the tank.

They are actually quite hard, or hard to shift, anyway.