Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
blackrose

Mother Teresa sainthood...

Featured Posts

Human nature is an odd thing. A person is elevated and praised to a high level and the legend and reputation gets so great that there are then people who wish to topple them from their great height. Mother Teresa would have told you all she was not perfect or saintly. None of us are. But with all our faults we can do good in many ways and forms.

I don't really care if Mother Teresa is made a saint by the Pope as I think that is irrelevant no man can decide such things. What is important is the good she did while alive and the legacy she left. Although it is true she mingled with some dubious characters (perhaps thinking there is good in everyone) and had some views of poverty that we struggle with but it must be remembered she was a nun who took a vow of poverty. She died owning nothing but two sari's and the means (a bucket) to wash them.

She was not perfect but she is likely to have done more for people around her than any of us posting on here.

• Greenie 3

Human nature is an odd thing. A person is elevated and praised to a high level and the legend and reputation gets so great that there are then people who wish to topple them from their great height. Mother Teresa would have told you all she was not perfect or saintly. None of us are. But with all our faults we can do good in many ways and forms.

I don't really care if Mother Teresa is made a saint by the Pope as I think that is irrelevant no man can decide such things. What is important is the good she did while alive and the legacy she left. Although it is true she mingled with some dubious characters (perhaps thinking there is good in everyone) and had some views of poverty that we struggle with but it must be remembered she was a nun who took a vow of poverty. She died owning nothing but two sari's and the means (a bucket) to wash them.

She was not perfect but she is likely to have done more for people around her than any of us posting on here.

Very well said.

She did a lot more harm than good. The world would have been better off without her.

Edited by Delta9

Admittedly reports like this are more about her legacy than her life, but her legacy would not exist if she had not existed, so I think are still valid to include in the debate......

New Statesman Link.

Have you read some of the stuff about her? Have you watched the videos?

She did a lot more harm than good. The world would have been better off without her.

Could you please provide a few authoritative links other than the one in the OP. Thanks.

Could you please provide a few authoritative links other than the one in the OP. Thanks.

Not difficult, just google Mother Teresa.

New Statesman

Slate

Look on Youtube for Christopher Hitchen's video about her

even Wikipedia

Edited by Catrin

Like all religous parasites she never did a useful days work in her life and managed to get other people to pay her to jet about and eat for free. Wether its the local vicar who has two cars and three foreign holidays a year or the Pope living in the lap of luxury the bottom line is always the same, making money out of peoples gulability. As Mr Hitchens said there are 150000 diferent religions in the world, they can't all be true so logically they must all be wrong.

THank you. Out of interest do you count Wiki as authoritative?

Interesting question. I have read that it is overall, fairly accurate. The problem is the one off changing of a page by someone with an agenda. Which is why I always used to advise my students that I would not accept just one source as evidence. I needed to see corroborating evidence from a number of sources - which had to be hosted on reasonably reliable sites.

Do you think that the Wiki page on criticisms of Mother Teresa is inaccurate?

Like all religous parasites she never did a useful days work in her life and managed to get other people to pay her to jet about and eat for free. Wether its the local vicar who has two cars and three foreign holidays a year or the Pope living in the lap of luxury the bottom line is always the same, making money out of peoples gulability. As Mr Hitchens said there are 150000 diferent religions in the world, they can't all be true so logically they must all be wrong.

I don't think I have ever come across a local vicar/minister/priest/parson/etc who has anything like this kind of money. Most that I have met are struggling. Have you ever met any?

Edited by Catrin

You are welcome to believe what you wish but you are speaking more about your prejudices than the life of another person who felt a need to assist the poorer people in Calcutta or Kolkata to give it its modern name.

She did indeed travel but also did work day by day in that city amongst some very poor conditions to help people.

Yes and not just the negative stuff.

Perhaps then you would like to point us at some of this alternative view?

THank you. Out of interest do you count Wiki as authoritative?

I think you have to read any document with the view of making up your own mind Whilst the Wikipedia entry makes points about the questions surrounding her life and motives it does also list other references that project a different and even opposite point of view such as Mary Poplin's book "Finding Calcutta" What Mother Teresa taught me about Meaningful Work and Service" and others.

I see that some of the articles come from visits to the Orphanages in 2005 if I have read them right. Which although disturbing it seems harsh to blame what was happening then after she had died some 8 years earlier. It does not help the view of her legacy.

Perhaps then you would like to point us at some of this alternative view?

Not hard you just need to google it.

You could try this it has many references

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mother_Teresa

Edited by churchward

I see that some of the articles come from visits to the Orphanages in 2005 if I have read them right. Which although disturbing it seems harsh to blame what was happening then after she had died some 8 years earlier. It does not help the view of her legacy.

Surely if you are trying to come to a view as to whether overall she has been "a good thing" or "a bad thing", you have to include what has happened or is still happening after her death in institutions linked directly to her legacy?

But of course many such articles are anyway about things that were happening when she was alive, and which she is directly linked to. You have to decide if some of those, at least, are from reliable witnesses, and to me it seems all to clear that they are.

I think you have to read any document with the view of making up your own mind Whilst the Wikipedia entry makes points about the questions surrounding her life and motives it does also list other references that project a different and even opposite point of view such as Mary Poplin's book "Finding Calcutta" What Mother Teresa taught me about Meaningful Work and Service" and others.

Not hard you just need to google it.

You could try this it has many references

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mother_Teresa

Fair enough, but the first page of what I find is the articles I have already posted, and similar. I was hoping what you considered to be a balanced view.

Edit: actually, well worth rummaging around on the Wikipedia page - to see some of the links and revisions (it is a 'semi locked' page).

I knew that she had doubts, but hers actually seem very deep and long term:

"Where is my faith? Even deep down ... there is nothing but emptiness and darkness ... If there be God—please forgive me. When I try to raise my thoughts to Heaven, there is such convicting emptiness that those very thoughts return like sharp knives and hurt my very soul ... How painful is this unknown pain—I have no Faith. Repulsed, empty, no faith, no love, no zeal, ... What do I labor for? If there be no God, there can be no soul. If there be no soul then, Jesus, You also are not true."

Edited by Catrin

A political organisation that derives it's power from the idea that there's a magic pixie in the sky that controls the world has made a woman who basically tortured the dying a saint.

It's a mad old world.

• Greenie 1

Fair enough, but the first page of what I find is the articles I have already posted, and similar. I was hoping what you considered to be a balanced view.

Edit: actually, well worth rummaging around on the Wikipedia page - to see some of the links and revisions (it is a 'semi locked' page).

I knew that she had doubts, but hers actually seem very deep and long term:

"Where is my faith? Even deep down ... there is nothing but emptiness and darkness ... If there be God—please forgive me. When I try to raise my thoughts to Heaven, there is such convicting emptiness that those very thoughts return like sharp knives and hurt my very soul ... How painful is this unknown pain—I have no Faith. Repulsed, empty, no faith, no love, no zeal, ... What do I labor for? If there be no God, there can be no soul. If there be no soul then, Jesus, You also are not true."

The article you quoted carries a link to the Wikki page I gave and your link says in its second sentance "For a more complete picture of the person, see the article Mother Teresa." [My emphasis]

She was a human being and we all have doubts that come and go. I am not so interested in her faith but in her work. She could have become a non-believer and done good work for others too.

Do you think that the Wiki page on criticisms of Mother Teresa is inaccurate?

I would hardly have asked for references if I knew enough to decide is Wiki was accurate.

I see that some of the articles come from visits to the Orphanages in 2005 if I have read them right. Which although disturbing it seems harsh to blame what was happening then after she had died some 8 years earlier.

I have to admit my reaction to the date was you can hardly blame somebody for things which may well have changed after their death. You only need to look at some of the UK care homes to see how things deteriorate with a slight change of staff.

No doubt your own work among the poor of the subcontinent and elsewhere is far more impressive. On the other hand you may be a bloke with an opinion and a laptop on a boat in the cut.

No doubt your own work among the poor of the subcontinent and elsewhere is far more impressive. On the other hand you may be a bloke with an opinion and a laptop on a boat in the cut.

Why don't you try defending some of the awful things she did if you think I am wrong.