Email not working on new iPhone

fudd

Featured Posts

I have copied all the settings from the iPad. Everything should be the same.

Incoming and outgoing mail is affected.

I'm not computer savvy at all. I wouldn't know what settings you mean. Thanks

I suggest that you just start again and copy the settings because it looks as if you have made a slight mistake. It worked for me.

I've found the inbuilt mail app on the iphone to be a bit crappy really. Much better to go on the app store and download the specific app for your mail provider. In your case it's the microsoft outlook app. Try that and I bet it works fine.

p.s. this is another thread which should be in the virtual pub. it seems 'general boating' can be used for everything these days.

Edited by Dave_P

fudd, it's too bad I didn't have your iPhone instead of my Android, as the wizard is only very good with iPhones of which he's had quite a few already, and he doesn't like Android phones at all.

He spent 1 hour and 20 minutes on mine, but still no luck, so tomorrow I'll go to my most disliked place in town named Mc Do and will try to find a solution myself again, as there's unlimited free wifi.

I only hope that it won't be a day where parents proudly show their children that they're preparing for the World Championship Screaming, as that's what normally always happening when I go there.

They must have spread the word before they go to meet up with a bunch of other parents that are working on the preparation of their kids, and they seem ever so proud if theirs can scream louder than all the others, I'm better prepared for it now, earplugs are going there with me this time.

Peter.

fudd, it's too bad I didn't have your iPhone instead of my Android, as the wizard is only very good with iPhones of which he's had quite a few already, and he doesn't like Android phones at all.

He spent 1 hour and 20 minutes on mine, but still no luck, so tomorrow I'll go to my most disliked place in town named Mc Do and will try to find a solution myself again, as there's unlimited free wifi.

I only hope that it won't be a day where parents proudly show their children that they're preparing for the World Championship Screaming, as that's what normally always happening when I go there.

They must have spread the word before they go to meet up with a bunch of other parents that are working on the preparation of their kids, and they seem ever so proud if theirs can scream louder than all the others, I'm better prepared for it now, earplugs are going there with me this time.

Peter.

Good luck with that.

I find that with iPad/iPhone using the default settings rarely works on a mobile connection due to the standard ports not being accepted for security reasons.

The port settings and SSL are not exactly hidden, but are one menu level down.

attachicon.gifimage.png

So in this screenshot near the bottom (you need to scroll down) you need to tap on Outgoing Mail Server to get the list of outgoing mail servers (you may only have one)

attachicon.gifimage.png

You then need to tap the primary mail server to set the port and SSL and other stuff

attachicon.gifimage.png

Going back to my first screenshot you then need to tap on Advanced and set the incoming port and SSL.

Did you do all that? If not the ports are probably at the default settings which are unlikely to work

Fantastically useful post. Thanks, Nick. One question - how do I know which port settings I ought to have it set to? I have one account which refuses to work on the iPhone but works well on my iMac and Macbook.

I find the free wifi in Wetherspoons is much better....as is their choice of beverage....very handy for solving IT issues when cruising....

Cheers

Gareth

You are probably right, but I'm not going there for a simple reason : Mc Do is at about 3 km from here, and to use Weatherspoons free wifi, I'll have to cross the Channel.

The Hot-Chocolat at Mc Do isn't too bad.

But thanks for the tip anyway.

Peter.

You are probably right, but I'm not going there for a simple reason : Mc Do is at about 3 km from here, and to use Weatherspoons free wifi, I'll have to cross the Channel.

The Hot-Chocolat at Mc Do isn't too bad.

But thanks for the tip anyway.

Peter.

Personally I'd cross the channel!.......I had the misfortune to enter said fast food joint a week ago.....I'm still recovering....why are they so popular?

Cheers

Gareth

Fantastically useful post. Thanks, Nick. One question - how do I know which port settings I ought to have it set to? I have one account which refuses to work on the iPhone but works well on my iMac and Macbook.

It depends on your mail provider and whether you are setting up as IMAP or POP so you'd need to look it up on the Internet, for example IMAP incoming is 993 with SSL for virgin and BT, for POP BT is 995 with SSL, for virgin POp it's 110 without SSL. Outgoing seems more standard at 465 with SSL. Anyway, no point in guessing, go onto the email provider's website.

Typically if you are using the email of the carrier / ISP (eg BT email on BT broadband) you can use the standard ports 25 and 110 and auto-setup will work, but if you are using a different carrier such as Three you need the higher port numbers with SSL. It's some kind of (slightly pointless) anti-spamming thing.

Never liked IMAP/web based based email accounts such as hotmail with all the confusion of remote and local storage if accessing via email app. What I call a proper email account typically from your ISP using POP3/SMTP protocols to receive and send seems far more satisfactory and trouble free to set up. Most have duplicate web based access as well if you are reliant on such.

As Nick points out some ISP's use other than the standard port settings though. Just a matter of changing to match of course once you know what they are. Found this out 10 years ago in Venezuela when unable to access UK based email account. Once I had found the ports local service used everything worked fine.

Another issue when sending emails via SMTP from third party connection/servers is they may be blocked. Travelling through different countries on my last boat, I found the universal answer was to use a proxy SMTP server. For a small annual fee I use authsmtp to re-direct sent emails seemlessly from anywhere in the world, its never failed me in over 50 countries - still using it now. Dedicated SMTP settings have to be used with password protected login but that's little more difficult than entering your own ISP's.

I would hope that for any ISP the only time that you will be able to use (open) port 110 for smtp is when on their network, in all other cases you will use the ssl port and authenticate with your username/password. For a phone that is always going to be the case as you will sometimes be on the phone providers network, and then on various wifi networks, so you use the ssl port for both pop3 and smtp (assuming those are the protocols that you want to use.

It looks for Hotmail that those are POP3: host=pop3.live.com port=995, SMTP: host=smtp.live.com port=587, those are what I would try first.

Are those the settings that you are using, authenticating with your username and password in both cases.

Never liked IMAP/web based based email accounts such as hotmail with all the confusion of remote and local storage if accessing via email app. What I call a proper email account typically from your ISP using POP3/SMTP protocols to receive and send seems far more satisfactory and trouble free to set up. Most have duplicate web based access as well if you are reliant on such.

As Nick points out some ISP's use other than the standard port settings though. Just a matter of changing to match of course once you know what they are. Found this out 10 years ago in Venezuela when unable to access UK based email account. Once I had found the ports local service used everything worked fine.

Just for clarity let's make it clear that the port numbers are determined by the email provider, not the ISP (although of course they could be one and the same).

On the POP vs IMAP I used to use POP but with email on iPhone, iPad and laptop it all got a bit difficult. I now use IMAP on all 3 devices for both my virgin and BT emails and it all works seamlessly between the devices.

Just for clarity let's make it clear that the port numbers are determined by the email provider, not the ISP ](although of course they could be one and the same).

On the POP vs IMAP I used to use POP but with email on iPhone, iPad and laptop it all got a bit difficult. I now use IMAP on all 3 devices for both my virgin and BT emails and it all works seamlessly between the devices.

And always have been on the several different ISP's I've used over the years, which adds relevance to my comments of course.

Personally I'd cross the channel!.......I had the misfortune to enter said fast food joint a week ago.....I'm still recovering....why are they so popular?

Cheers

Gareth

They must be popular because of all the parents that are allowed to have their children prepare themselfs for the World Screaming Championship without being told off.

I never ever eat anything you can get there, and just limit myself to a hot-chocolat which is drinkable without any immediate noticable side-effects.

Peter.

Just for clarity let's make it clear that the port numbers are determined by the email provider, not the ISP (although of course they could be one and the same).

I must admit I have always had the same, just select the email provider, email address and password and Robert is your dad's brother. All the required settings were just set up automatically. This has been the same on various tablets phones etc etc.

The ONLY time I have had any problems has been when I have miss entered something and of course it only takes one character to be wrong (including upper or lower case wrong) or missing and its enough for the setup to fail. That is the only thing I can think of here.

I must admit I have always had the same, just select the email provider, email address and password and Robert is your dad's brother. All the required settings were just set up automatically. This has been the same on various tablets phones etc etc.

The ONLY time I have had any problems has been when I have miss entered something and of course it only takes one character to be wrong (including upper or lower case wrong) or missing and its enough for the setup to fail. That is the only thing I can think of here.

My experience has always been the same. I've had the same Yahoo account for over 20 years and never once had any problem setting it up. I just recently got my second iPhone, and everything that was on my first iPhone went to the Apple cloud and then back into my new iPhone and it was seamless and hassle free. I did have to enter the password for my yahoo email account, it didn't survive the changeover.

All this talk about ports and such is way over my head. I just tell the machine/device to set things up automatically and that has always worked for me.

All this talk about ports and such is way over my head. I just tell the machine/device to set things up automatically and that has always worked for me.

That was pre 'imap' days in the main. When your email had to be set up on each device manually and it was a PITA to keep in sync. across all your devices. Now it all normally goes on 'under the hood' and everything is kept in sync. (assuming you use the facility of course). Some email such as outllok.com and google can still be setup the 'old fashioned way' but I'm not sure why anybody would bother TBH.

That was pre 'imap' days in the main. When your email had to be set up on each device manually and it was a PITA to keep in sync. across all your devices. Now it all normally goes on 'under the hood' and everything is kept in sync. (assuming you use the facility of course). Some email such as outllok.com and google can still be setup the 'old fashioned way' but I'm not sure why anybody would bother TBH.

I guess it depends on which email provider you use but auto setup has never worked for me on virgin.net or btinternet.com. I don't set it up manually out of choice!

Hope that fudd has been as lucky as I've finally been today, as my phone is working now, and this message is written on the machine that's responsable for the lack of haïr on my head.

Peter.

Not yet

• 3 weeks later...