Cleaning & Maintaining solid wood florrs

Featured Posts

Hello

Well, month number 2 as liveaboards . . . so far so good.

We have an Aqualine boat (8 yrs old) with oak ceiling, walls and floor – all very nice, warm, damp free etc but how do you look after the floors?

I think they may have been treated/coated originally but all the trawling thru Amazon’s polishes, wood cleaners, oils etc does not lead to a distinct answer as to how do you clean & maintain em . . . most of the stuff I’ve bought says “not for bare hardwood”, even the bottle of teak oil says “not suitable for oak” – I’ve used it anyway on the wooden window sills to hopefully stop them deteriorating with condensation from the windows. Just wonder what other folk use . .

Cheers

Steve

Cover them with good quality oak effect vinyl flooring. Then again what would the point of having a real wood floor!

I can fully appreciate why someone would want to lay a quality hard floor in a boat - its ascetics takes some beating.

However if you want a maintenance free surface, good quality vinyl flooring is the way to go. Particularly in 'wet' areas. We laid the gally area of our boat with a highly realistic oak plank effect vinyl, which unless you get really close you would never know was 'fake'.

Horses for courses I suppose!

As for re-varnishing real wood flooring, good preparation and a high quality clear varnish specifically designed for floors is the way to go.

Use a hardwax oil or floor polish there are many types but they are not easy to find on the shop shelves, google can be your friend. The oil/wax polish for kitchen worktops is not as hardwearing as proper floor polish. Yes real wood it is nicer than lino/vinyl flooring, it doesn't tear when something is dragged over it nor does it creep over time leaving gaps.

Osmo do a cleaner for flooring

http://www.osmouk.com/sitechaptern.cfm?bookid=Products&chapter=82&page=259

I used a white non abrasive scotchbrite pad to apply it.

Works well.

Cheers

Gareth

We did our floors this autumn as above, then applied the Osmo. Brought the floor up a treat. A picture available on our blog.