Weeks holiday

Captain Zim

Featured Posts

Hello. Merry Christmas all. I am really sorry for starting a thread on this as I'm sure it's been done a million times but I'm drastically short of time. A friend wishes to book a weeks holiday for his mum and brothers for next summer time. Please can the experts provide a few options. Criteria:

Can be anywhere but probably north/midlands preferred

Lots of quaint pubs

Not millions of locks but brothers can do a few

Ideally a holiday where it's possible to go in one direction only (if such a thing even exists - for example between two hire bases?)

Sleeps 4 ( I think)

Reasonable price (I know - although he's got a few quid so it's not essential. Plus it's for his mum so he shouldn't be so tight)

Probably mostly countryside. Could start in a city though.

Thanks ever so!

Zim

Gosh, where to start? The Llangollen canal fits most of those requirements, not sure about the single direction thing though. Wrenbury to Llangollen and return is an easy week through beautiful countryside with not too many locks and Llagollen is a pleasant if rather tourist-trappy town to spend a day in. Not sure about the quaint pubs as I'm not really a pub person, but I'll throw that in for starters and see what others say.

I think he'd be looking at getting on for £1,500 a week in the Summer for a four-berth boat wherever he goes.

With a mother and three brothers, if they all want separate beds, then you probably want to hire a six berth boat that will probably have two doubles and two singles. Probably between 65 and 70 foot long.

For a first trip I’d go for an out and back cruise. If they find they like locks then they can travel for more hours a day before turning round and heading back to base, if they find that they don’t like locks, or if it’s a very wet week, they are not committed to so much travel compared to a circular route.

I like the Staffordshire and Worcestershire canal especially the southern section from Wolverhampton to Kidderminster. Try Napton Narrowboats from their Autherly Junction base or Countrywide Cruisers from Brewood on the Shropshier Union Canal.

As has been said, the Langollen is also a good choice. For decent food try the corn mill in Langollen

http://www.brunningandprice.co.uk/cornmill/homepage/

The one-way cruises offered by Bear Boats, as recommended by jacloc above, would certainly seem to fit the bill. Mostly rural with some absolutely stunning scenery and pleasant towns and villages along the way. There's a long (14-mile) lock-free stretch between Bingley and Gargrave (albeit one with several swing bridges), so only about 25 locks to worry about all week - and 11 of those are manned (Field Locks plus both Bingley Flights).

Like Southern Star, I'm not a pub person (two of us on one thread?!), but I'd be surprised if you struggled on that front. People will have specific recommendations if you ask, I'm sure.

Honestly, I've cruised most of the Northern canals and not much can compete with this stretch (especially Silsden onwards).

...oh, and oddly, no-one's suggested a cruising ring? That would be the obvious way to avoid retracing your steps. The Four Counties is very pleasant and can be done in a week, although it wouldn't be as leisurely in terms of locks or miles covered as that one-way trip from Apperley Bridge to Barnoldswick.