sail away wide beam

tallowman

Featured Posts

Hi all ,, Yet another newbie .

Currently having sailway built , i have found two residential sites for the boat , but in there small print they do not allow for works to be carried out on the boat , in there terms and conditions .. since ill be needing to fit out kitchen and bathroom /various i can undertsand this .. so will need workable moorings in or near to manchester for 57ft 10ft widebeam any ideas where i could start to look .

many thanks for any advice

Is that 2 out of 2 tried? I think its quite common but only from experience of a handful in our local area. I wonder if its possible to have a friendly chat with the boatyard and simply cross out the parts of the mooring agreement you don't like, then sign it - that's what I did on our mooring a while back.

Try asking how tight they are on that rule. We fitted out our boat from sailaway at a marina which didn't allow building in the terms, but did say that as long as the neighbours didn't mind and we kept the noise to weekdays it would be ok. I did all (well,nearly all) the cutting inside the boat so the sound wasn't at all loud outside.

Bob

Forgot to mention, another option (similar to above) is to do the "quiet"/non instrusive stuff at the mooring; and if there's something noisy/etc that needs doing, tootle down the canal a little bit and do it there. You can temporarily wire in an inverter, and/or use battery powered tools etc.

I fitted out the inside of my boat in my marina, although the rules say you cant...everyone makes changes to their boats.....so if it's the interior and you keep all your tools, wood sheets etc inside the boat, not sprawled outside for everyone to see, you'll have no issues. Also obviously not running loud tools late at night.

I'm in New Islington in Manchester :~)

Many marinas will differentiate between 'intrusive' work ( welding and grinding), non-intrusive work ( ie sawing wood inside the boat), work done by the owner and work done by contractors.

Our marina states :

Work to Vessel
6.1 Minor running repairs or minor maintenance works of a routine nature, including but not limited to, light sanding, staining, minor painting etc. which does not cause noise, disturbance, disruption or pollution to the Marina or other Marina users may be carried out to your Vessel without BWML’s permission. Extensive external sanding, angle grinding, welding, internal refit, spray-painting etc. are considered Major Works and cannot be carried out within the Marina unless with BWML’s prior written consent and in accordance with Clause 6.4. Maintenance may be carried out daily between 09.00 and 18.00 hours. When carrying out work, all BWML facilities, bollards, pontoons, service points etc. must be suitably protected, kept clean and tidy at all times, and appropriate Health and Safety legislation adhered to. BWML reserve the right to charge the Owner for the full cost of any remedial works required as a result of any damage caused to the Marina as a result of your work.
6.2 Prior written consent for work to be carried out at the Marina shall not, without good cause, be withheld where the work is to be carried out in strict accordance with the documents Working on Craft in Dry Docks and Working on Craft in Dry Storage

Just ask your proposed marina - they may stipulate its 'OK' between certain hours, or on certain days of the week only but given the fact they will be getting £1000s from you in mooring fees they are unlikely to refuse a reasonable request in case they lose the income.

"Ask and ye shall receive"

I fitted out the inside of my boat in my marina, although the rules say you cant...everyone makes changes to their boats.....so if it's the interior and you keep all your tools, wood sheets etc inside the boat, not sprawled outside for everyone to see, you'll have no issues. Also obviously not running loud tools late at night.

I'm in New Islington in Manchester :~)

Hi Dean i came there last wkd spoke to a nice bloke of one of the boats , he said the site was much better now i rang urban three times left messages both p jones and ben ,, nil replies infact just email them today as would have preferred where you are .. mooring fees in northwich ££££££££

I also did most of the fit-out on my widebeam on the floating pontoons at Brentford which was a BW mooring with similar terms. Nobody is bothered unless you make nuisance of yourself.

If there's going to be a bit of noise or you need to do something outside talk to your neighbours and ask if they mind or if they are bothered by the noise. Be considerate and most reasonable people will be happy for you to carry on.

I once even had a steel fabricator come in and weld a box in for my BT batteries and do some other jobs. One neighbour who I didn't realise worked nights was not impressed, but soon came around when I presented him with a couple of bottles of wine as an apology.

Edited by blackrose

, but in there small print they do not allow for works to be carried out on the boat ,

Some marinas do work themselves on boats, so don't want the competition. What they really don't want are other contractors coming on site, but a certain amount of unobtrusive DIY is usually fine.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

We fitted ours at Chorley on the hardstanding at Bottany Bay we needed lifting into the water anyway so it was a lift off, fitt out the boat and lift into the L&L

Its a lot easier to work on the boat out of the water and the monthly "rent" at the boatyard less than a marina

Also you can give the hull a good looking at and another coat or two of blacking

We live in Urmston so its not a long journey to Bottany Bay and it has a pub next door, B&Q plumbers merchants etc close by

Good Luck

Ray

Have you tried Hesford marine on the Bridgewater near Lymm? A complete DIY yard with lots of facilities for boaters to use.

Have you tried Hesford marine on the Bridgewater near Lymm? A complete DIY yard with lots of facilities for boaters to use.