Chimney / flue leaking tar on new boat?!!!

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Reba Danson said:

Hi all,

I'm doing some research and would value your comments.

Since this thread, which started a few years ago, has anyone come across a solution to the tar dripping off the rim of the chimney hat problem?

I would love to hear from anyone who has a solution that enables you to:

leave the hat on 24/7

burn anything, wet or dry

burn the fire on low

leave the boat unsupervised and it not drip while you're away

Solutions I am NOT looking for or interested in are:

Taking the hat off

Only burning wood

Only burning dry coal

Only burning the fire red hot

Anything that requires you to be on the boat and continually supervise the fire.

Please share your experiences. This seems to be a common problem but the only solution I've managed to find so far is 'take the hat off', which, for me, is not an option.

Thanks all 

Reba

Can I suggest you try burning rocking horse manure, or perhaps dried unicorn. 

You seem to be adamant for some reason, but if you do not want to take off the hat off then a solution may be to find a hat which does not overhang the chimney so that the drips go back down inside the chimney,, or even have one made/make one. I leave mine on until I light the stove and then take it off, which takes moments and is no big deal.  Condensate gathers on the inside of the hat as it cools, runs down to the lowest point and drips off onto the roof, making the mess. If this drips outside the chimney you will have to put up with it I'm afraid, unless you take it off or make one which doesn't.

Howard

Thanks all - my question was for research purposes for a child doing a school project, so I am grateful to you all for sharing your experiences ... bacon and eggs for me, maybe start a rooftop cafe LOLOLOL

Edited by Reba Danson
correction

Raising the Chinanan's hat above the flue top by a considerable distance (827.4mm) will stop the condensation problem. 

ETA increase the diameter to compensate for the rain ingress. 

A vintage satellite dish can be used but needs anchoring with 3 wires due to windage. 

Edited by magnetman
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, rusty69 said:

Two chinaman's hats back to back may work.

I gave up on those crappy hat things years ago. The ones with 3 little legs are awful. The ones that clamp around the chimney are marginally better.

I have a crappy 3 little leg hat on my chimney.  For reasons that appear to be somewhat of a mystery, I never get tar dripping off it, or from anywhere else, onto my roof (which is painted in Craftmaster raddle off white, so I'd definitely notice)!  Perhaps it's because my above decks chimney is double skinned and insulated, or maybe it's because I don't burn anything but smokeless fuel.  I do close the fire right down overnight and if we're not inside the boat, so it's not solely down to high burning temperature, although I do "open her up" every now and again.  Tar production does smack of low flue temperatures though, doesn't it?  My money is on folk burning inappropriate fuel, but perhaps some stoves are worse tar generators than others? 

• Happy 1

2 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

I have a crappy 3 little leg hat on my chimney.  For reasons that appear to be somewhat of a mystery, I never get tar dripping off it, or from anywhere else, onto my roof (which is painted in Craftmaster raddle off white, so I'd definitely notice)!  Perhaps it's because my above decks chimney is double skinned and insulated, or maybe it's because I don't burn anything but smokeless fuel.  I do close the fire right down overnight and if we're not inside the boat, so it's not solely down to high burning temperature, although I do "open her up" every now and again.  Tar production does smack of low flue temperatures though, doesn't it?  My money is on folk burning inappropriate fuel, but perhaps some stoves are worse tar generators than others? 

I think you have hit the chinaman on the head there. Clean fuel and insulated chimney is the way to go.

Alternatively just have no cap on the flue and no flue insulation and burn whatever you like. Unlikely to cause problems other than occasional soot on cabin top and agitated passer by's. 

Even dessicated rodents are okay as a fuel source provided you check the moisture level with a decent non contact moisture meter before throwing them into the furnace. 

4 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Alternatively just have no cap on the flue and no flue insulation and burn whatever you like. Unlikely to cause problems other than occasional soot on cabin top and agitated passer by's. 

Even dessicated rodents are okay as a fuel source provided you check the moisture level with a decent non contact moisture meter before throwing them into the furnace. 

We have no chinaman cap, a double skinned chimney (not insulated),use burnwell fuel, and get quite a bit of tar deposit.I haven't tried burning rodents yet though. Perhaps being a squirrel that is what we a re sposed to burn.

2 hours ago, magnetman said:

Raising the Chinanan's hat above the flue top by a considerable distance (827.4mm) will stop the condensation problem. 

ETA increase the diameter to compensate for the rain ingress. 

A vintage satellite dish can be used but needs anchoring with 3 wires due to windage. 

That looks like a Bizzard solution....

One B'zard on this forum is quite enough!

No disrespec' intended to a very senior and  well respected member of this forum - makes I larf

3 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

We have no chinaman cap, a double skinned chimney (not insulated),use burnwell fuel, and get quite a bit of tar deposit.I haven't tried burning rodents yet though. Perhaps being a squirrel that is what we a re sposed to burn.

I have no chinaman's hat - that's now lying at the bottom of the Slough arm junction - I prefer to spread the beautiful aroma of wood smoke to lesser boat users.

All the timber is off One's Estate, y'know...

9 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

That looks like a Bizzard solution....

One B'zard on this forum is quite enough!

No disrespec' intended to a very senior and  well respected member of this forum - makes I larf

Except Bizzard would be using a meccano sat dish, with fiendishly small holes to prevent the rain getting in.

Although a bit pointless now -

I have a horse

I have a horse

that meets the OP's requirements and may be possible to constuct -

Make a wide collar with generously upturned edge all around. the width shoud be at least 20% wider than said china person

Line the collar with (water resistant) material that could be slightly absorbant and disposable

At appropriate intervals replace the above material - mebe burn it - with fresh material

Burn or dispose of the material

Repeat (ad nauseam )

seemples

5 hours ago, cuthound said:

Diesel drip stoves dont suffer from tar dripping onto the roof. ?

Ah, that may explain why I don't have the issue with my solid fuel stove then: it's a Bubble and they also make a diesel version.

So, I can now stop feeling a bit of an outsider for not having a tarry flue, as it's not my fault. I thought I was going to have to dribble blacking on my roof! ;)