Boat Break in Fobney Lock

Sadelady

Featured Posts

We have just finished walking the dog down the Kennet. If this is your boat (SlowMotion Wide beam) someone has broken the window at the front and likely to have burgled the contents. This boat has been moored here for months and obviously unoccupied. No doubt even the local scroats have noticed and someone has had a go last night. This is not a great place to leave your boat for weeks, there are no other boats anywhere near and no security. If you know who's boat this is please let them know.

This document: https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/media/library/8515-enforcement-officer-regions-and-contact-details.pdf

has the enforcement officer as: Matthew Preston; 07917688591; 01380 737920; Matthew.Preston@canalrivertrust.org.uk

or the welfare officer is: Sheila Shaw; 07748 658 040

I know it's not an enforcement or welfare issue, they may be the best place to start

Richard

We have just finished walking the dog down the Kennet. If this is your boat (SlowMotion Wide beam) someone has broken the window at the front and likely to have burgled the contents. This boat has been moored here for months and obviously unoccupied. No doubt even the local scroats have noticed and someone has had a go last night. This is not a great place to leave your boat for weeks, there are no other boats anywhere near and no security. If you know who's boat this is please let them know.

Sometimes we just don't help ourselves

Maybe it is an enforcement issue if its been there for months,you would certainly think

that they would be aware of it

Fobney lock has the reputation as the only really bad place on the K&A, but these things are always word of mouth and rarely put in writing so visiting boats are not always aware. It looks quite a pleasant place of late with the new water park, and we have seen a few boats moored there recently, but I fear its the same old locals. I was advised to moor at the Cunning Man, get up very early and not stop again till on the Thames!

.................Dave

Theres just no rhyme or reason to it.Last week Grafton Regis in the

middle of the country,a lovely spot,some say locals and others fellow

boaters.I just end up challenging every stranger I see.I have few friends.

Fobney lock has the reputation as the only really bad place on the K&A, but these things are always word of mouth and rarely put in writing so visiting boats are not always aware. It looks quite a pleasant place of late with the new water park, and we have seen a few boats moored there recently, but I fear its the same old locals. I was advised to moor at the Cunning Man, get up very early and not stop again till on the Thames!

.................Dave

Yes a very bad place to stay. Good advice to go through early as I have had problems there.

:(

We stopped there in the Summer on our way back from our cruise down to Bath . Not knowing the area it seemed to be a good quiet spot to spend the night .There was no visible signs of Graffiti which we often use as a guide and it seemed to be peaceful with not many people about .luckily the night we spent there we had no problems. But how are you supposed to know without local knowledge what is safe and what isn't ,when you are unfamiliar with the area.

We are in Hungerford right now, which is a very upmarket wealthy market town, and stuff has been nicked off the front deck twice in the last week, and i've just spotted a sign by the bridge warning of a recent crime wave! I reckon its the elves raising money to buy the Christmas presents.

.................Dave

We are in Hungerford right now, which is a very upmarket wealthy market town, and stuff has been nicked off the front deck twice in the last week, and i've just spotted a sign by the bridge warning of a recent crime wave! I reckon its the elves raising money to buy the Christmas presents.

.................Dave

There was a very serious event in Hungerford many years back. I remember then how nobody could believe such a thing could happen in such a nice rural town. I recon most of the time it is one individual or ring leader who causes trouble. The problem is that the area and everyone in it can get unfairly labelled as bad just because of the one individual. It's a shame how much damage one idiot can do :(

We stopped there in the Summer on our way back from our cruise down to Bath . Not knowing the area it seemed to be a good quiet spot to spend the night .There was no visible signs of Graffiti which we often use as a guide and it seemed to be peaceful with not many people about .luckily the night we spent there we had no problems. But how are you supposed to know without local knowledge what is safe and what isn't ,when you are unfamiliar with the area.

For most of the year is is as safe as anywhere but on summer days the local youth swim there. They also drink alcohol and I suspect buy/use drugs. They can get very intimidating and have stoned the boat and passengers with apples from a nearby tree.

Personally I would stop just below Fobney weir on the old gravel wharf or a little further down in the summer, just to be on the safer side.

For most of the year is is as safe as anywhere but on summer days the local youth swim there. They also drink alcohol and I suspect buy/use drugs. They can get very intimidating and have stoned the boat and passengers with apples from a nearby tree.

Personally I would stop just below Fobney weir on the old gravel wharf or a little further down in the summer, just to be on the safer side.

I had to do a deal with the lads to use the lock. The fake CCTV camera has not helped.

:)

Only apples! I have heard that one boat had a motorbike thrown at them whilst they were coming up the lock. Luckily as its a huge lock the bike missed.

Judging by the pile of syringes I would say the kids certainly do take drugs, or else have a novel way of drinking alcohol.

We have never had trouble there and are now more relaxed about not going through "silly early", but I still really wouldn't moor there.

...........Dave

20131002_114501_zps3d496b2e.jpg

I was sat there two years ago waiting for RCR, not only did I have mad people ask to come aboard wanting to have a drink and use the toilet, I also had this lot chainsawing off the lock gear.

And ISTR the paddle that bloke is butchering was still out of action when I came through there a month or two ago...

Only apples! I have heard that one boat had a motorbike thrown at them whilst they were coming up the lock. Luckily as its a huge lock the bike missed.

Judging by the pile of syringes I would say the kids certainly do take drugs, or else have a novel way of drinking alcohol.

We have never had trouble there and are now more relaxed about not going through "silly early", but I still really wouldn't moor there.

...........Dave

Yes its an insanely huge lock isn't it? Given the next locks along in either direction are tiny. Anyone here know why it was built so large? Did they make a mistake and think they were building a Thames lock perhaps?

County is quite big (long).

Next one up from Fobney (Southcote?) is small but weren't most of them originally turf locks and rebuilt in a rush.

The one above the Cunning Man (Burghfield?...which is quite short) looks like a replacement lock and the lock landing below it looks like it might have been the original turf lock.

And its obvious why Fobney is so big....you have to go in at full revs to get past that outfall from the sewage works and so you need some stopping distance!!

...............Dave

There was a very serious event in Hungerford many years back. I remember then how nobody could believe such a thing could happen in such a nice rural town. I recon most of the time it is one individual or ring leader who causes trouble. The problem is that the area and everyone in it can get unfairly labelled as bad just because of the one individual. It's a shame how much damage one idiot can do sad.png

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/august/19/newsid_2534000/2534669.stm

Yes agreed there, but Fobney isn't just long, it must be at least 18ft wide too!! Why would that be?

All the locks on the Kennet Navigation were turf sided locks and were built to accommodate barges measuring about 90' x 17' ( not sure on the exact proportions ), Fobney Lock was rebuilt in brick to these dimensions, possibly by the Kennet and Avon Canal Company. Southcote Lock ( the next one going West ) was also rebuilt by the K&A C Co but by this time the recommended gauge for the waterway had been reduced to 69' x 12'6'' ( I believe ) and any existing Kennet barges were bought up by the company.

Other locks still remain to the original dimensions such as Sheffield, Aldermaston and Monkey Marsh.

Keith

All the locks on the Kennet Navigation were turf sided locks and were built to accommodate barges measuring about 90' x 17' ( not sure on the exact proportions ), Fobney Lock was rebuilt in brick to these dimensions, possibly by the Kennet and Avon Canal Company. Southcote Lock ( the next one going West ) was also rebuilt by the K&A C Co but by this time the recommended gauge for the waterway had been reduced to 69' x 12'6'' ( I believe ) and any existing Kennet barges were bought up by the company.

Other locks still remain to the original dimensions such as Sheffield, Aldermaston and Monkey Marsh.

Keith

Was not one a bit further west shortened during the renovations? I know a full length narrowboat that shared it with us got very wet at the front.