Fitting a new pump out toilet

Featured Posts

Howdy,

One of my first posts was asking about a pump out toilet for a boat I was about to buy. I took the great advice and tried the cassette for some months and it's just not for me.

I've read up a lot on the pros and cons and what I want is a pump out with separate tank, not the dump through style.

Does anyone know of any kits that are a reasonable price? I have a professional to fit this and have plenty of space under my bed to fit the tank.

I would prefer to use one without a macerator due to obvious problems, I have seen this: http://www.leesan.com/index.asp?m=3&cat1=2&cat2=41&p=820&t=75+Gallon+Holding+Tank%2C+SaniMarin+C48+12v+DC%2C+Stainless+Fittingsbut don't know if it's a macerator type.

One other option is to get all the parts separately, does anyone know what parts I would need?

At the risk of setting the never ending arguments off again, I have yet to board a boat with a tank under the bed that didnot have the faint whiff of shite in the bedroom!!! Not for me sleeping on top of that lot and worse still breathing it in!!

Talk about lighting the blue touch paper....I'll stand well back and await the onslaught :-) :-)

At the risk of setting the never ending arguments off again, I have yet to board a boat with a tank under the bed that didnot have the faint whiff of shite in the bedroom!!! Not for me sleeping on top of that lot and worse still breathing it in!!

A holding tank will smell, a tank full of human faeces has to be vented. If it wasn't then it would be in danger of exploding.

Howdy,

One of my first posts was asking about a pump out toilet for a boat I was about to buy. I took the great advice and tried the cassette for some months and it's just not for me.

I've read up a lot on the pros and cons and what I want is a pump out with separate tank, not the dump through style.

Does anyone know of any kits that are a reasonable price? I have a professional to fit this and have plenty of space under my bed to fit the tank.

I would prefer to use one without a macerator due to obvious problems, I have seen this: http://www.leesan.com/index.asp?m=3&cat1=2&cat2=41&p=820&t=75+Gallon+Holding+Tank%2C+SaniMarin+C48+12v+DC%2C+Stainless+Fittingsbut don't know if it's a macerator type.

One other option is to get all the parts separately, does anyone know what parts I would need?

Why are you so against the "dump through"...............?

I'm not completely against it. I just like the idea of keeping all the waste away from view and if I'm paying for a full re-fit, I'd rather go with the option I prefer most.

Would it be possible to get a macerator toilet like this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TECMA-Inlander-marine-12v-flushing-toilet-9-50135-/111482313860?hash=item19f4dd1c84:g:c~EAAOSwEppUNriV

Then get a tank and connector pipe and pipe for the pump out?

I'm not completely against it. I just like the idea of keeping all the waste away from view and if I'm paying for a full re-fit, I'd rather go with the option I prefer most.

Would it be possible to get a macerator toilet like this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TECMA-Inlander-marine-12v-flushing-toilet-9-50135-/111482313860?hash=item19f4dd1c84:g:c~EAAOSwEppUNriV

Then get a tank and connector pipe and pipe for the pump out?

boat.gif

Fitting it correctly with quality parts and using the right products are what people have said to stop the smell issue. Again though, I'm not looking for a debate on which toilet I should go for, I'm looking for what I need to buy. I can't find many websites with full kits so I just need to know what parts I need if I buy them separately.

From what I can see, I need the toilet itself (maybe with built in macerator to save extra effort), a pipe from this to the tank, a breather pipe from the tank and a pipe for the pumpout. Is this right? Any websites recommended to buy these items?

Fitting it correctly with quality parts and using the right products are what people have said to stop the smell issue. Again though, I'm not looking for a debate on which toilet I should go for, I'm looking for what I need to buy. I can't find many websites with full kits so I just need to know what parts I need if I buy them separately.

Lived on three boats with those three options - cassette, macerator and "dump through" - much prefer the last - promise you can't see much - but if you want the remote tank be aware of many more complications - if only to get everything to the holding stank under the bed.

I've never had the slightest smell from our dump-through. Even if you do take a look, to check the level, it's only the same as looking into a greenish pool. I've never seen a floater!

We often do our own pumpouts, and if you use enough 'blue', even THAT's not smelly.

Edited by Loafer

You need a water supply and 12 volt leccy to the toilet for the flush, the 12 volt will need to be fairly meaty the pump/macerator draws 5-6 amps running and a lot more on start up. A pipe from the pump to the tank that flows downhill after the initial rise at the toilet, The tank needs a vent pipe to the outside world this needs to go upwards with no dips, ideally you want two vent pipes one from each end of the tank to promote cross flow ventilation. Then the pumpout pipe to the outside world, I would suggest a roof mount so it can be reached from either side, mine is on the gunwale and sod's law says usually on the wrong one. I also have a rinse pipe connector by the pumpout fitting, the hose goes to the top end of the tank and the pumpout hose to the bottom end to allow a bit of a rinse through. The main thing is that you have nowhere for nasties to fester in the pipework otherwise sooner rather than later the odour will win. Mty tank is under the bed and it does not smell at all, so it can be done.

In my opinion blue smells worse than the tank contents and it is harmful to the environment so I do not use it.

Edited by Detling

I've never had the slightest smell from our dump-through. Even if you do take a look, to check the level, it's only the same as looking into a greenish pool. I've never seen a floater!

We often do our own pumpouts, and if you use enough 'blue', even THAT's not smelly.

Tightwad.............

That's Hudson owners for ya.....................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i'm not convinced pumpout's don't smell even tho the owner's insist they don't, I have been on a few boats with a pump out and they do smell, it's just that the owner's have got used to it and don't smell it anymore to them.

i'm not convinced pumpout's don't smell even tho the owner's insist they don't, I have been on a few boats with a pump out and they do smell, it's just that the owner's have got used to it and don't smell it anymore to them.

We have plenty of visitors here, and it doesn't smell. At all.

Really depends on "storage" and general hygiene; come aboard for coffee anytime...........

We have plenty of visitors here, and it doesn't smell. At all.

You truly ARE a very rude man .....................!!!!