Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
davidc

Current affairs poll

Separate Current Affairs sub thread  

36 members have voted

1. 1. which way do you vote

• Happy with a current affairs sub thread
    • Just keep the Virtual Pub sub thread only
    • Do not mind one way or another

Featured Posts

As the current affairs argument continues on another thread with the usual people I though it would be more democratic to have a secret poll so those who do not like to poke there heads above the parapet can vote.

maybe I didn't explain it a simple poll are you in favor of the way it is now or do you want to go back with just virtual pub or you don't really have a opinion

Edited by davidc

As the current affairs argument continues on another thread with the usual people I though it would be more democratic to have a secret poll so those who do not like to poke there heads above the parapet can vote.

What is the 'usual people' supposed to mean?.

I also think your poll is flawed as it doesn't capture all the issues, in particular should we even have a need to discuss current affairs at all.

What is the 'usual people' supposed to mean?.

I also think your poll is flawed as it doesn't capture all the issues, in particular should we even have a need to discuss current affairs at all.

I think, as you are suspiciously trying to angle for the idea of excluding the subjects for which current affairs was created to accommodate, we might as well try it on with pets corner. If some people object to non-boaty subjects, I think we should consider a whole raft of incidental topics.

I think, as you are suspiciously trying to angle for the idea of excluding the subjects for which current affairs was created to accommodate, we might as well try it on with pets corner. If some people object to non-boaty subjects, I think we should consider a whole raft of incidental topics.

You can try what you wish it wouldn't particularly bother me. I am merely suggesting that CWDF follows what other forums have done and restrict discussions on specific highly contentious subjects such as race, religion and immigration.

If people are happy for that to remain (and importantly the forum owner has indicated he is) then so be it.

You can try what you wish it wouldn't particularly bother me. I am merely suggesting that CWDF follows what other forums have done and restrict discussions on specific highly contentious subjects such as race, religion and immigration.

If people are happy for that to remain (and importantly the forum owner has indicated he is) then so be it.

They can use the filter. They must have fitted one on an engine or know what a filter does.

They can use the filter. They must have fitted one on an engine or know what a filter does.

Yes so you keep saying. However it is pretty evident from some posts on here that not everybody in fact does know how to use all the forum functionality, and it has been indicated that not everybody thinks they should have to anyway.

(I see you have gone from not having enough time to clearly having too much.)

The idea of starting this thread was so others would be able to indicate there views without others trying to shove their views down there throats,

and no I will not respond to anyone on this..

I'm afraid I don't understand the question

Richard

Before I dismiss this as being something that belongs in Current Affairs, could someone explain what the issue is please?

Richard

The idea of starting this thread was so others would be able to indicate there views without others trying to shove their views down there throats,

Views on what David?

1. Happy with a current affairs sub thread
  2. Just keep the Virtual Pub sub thread only
  3. Do not mind one way or another

Are you proposing that the CA sub forum becomes a part of the general VP sub forum?

Richard

Yes so you keep saying. However it is pretty evident from some posts on here that not everybody in fact does know how to use all the forum functionality, and it has been indicated that not everybody thinks they should have to anyway.

(I see you have gone from not having enough time to clearly having too much.)

The fact of the matter is, it's not non-boaty subjects that cause friction; objections are about those subjects that are just not fluffy and interesting to some.

I have got time, as you have observed. I'm on holiday, until Tuesday.

Edited by Higgs

I have got time, as you have observed. I'm on holiday, until Tuesday.

If you think you have the time then lets see how you get on in one of the more contentious threads then. Or do you find it easier to have a petty disagreement like this one?

Before I dismiss this as being something that belongs in Current Affairs, could someone explain what the issue is please?

Richard

Views on what David?

Are you proposing that the CA sub forum becomes a part of the general VP sub forum?

Richard

maybe I didn't explain it a simple poll are you in favor of the way it is now or do you want to go back with just virtual pub or you don't really have a opinion

Kinda pointless posting it then.

If you think you have the time then lets see how you get on in one of the more contentious threads then. Or do you find it easier to have a petty disagreement like this one?

Not, I'm just in training.

I like there being a current affairs section although it would more accurate to name it the "place where Muslims get discussed".

It's better than those threads being in the virtual pub, for a start it stops me thinking "if this was a real pub someone would've been glassed by now"

• Greenie 3

I like there being a current affairs section although it would more accurate to name it the "place where Muslims get discussed".

It's better than those threads being in the virtual pub, for a start it stops me thinking "if this was a real pub someone would've been glassed by now"

Neanderthals.

Thank you. Your offer of a grade is not essential.

Clearly your desire to have the last word is. though.

Pretty true I reckon. If not glassed then certainly a bloodied nose.

Neanderthals.

Indeed but there's a very real clash on here. Some really don't like immigrants in particular Muslims. They're pretty angry and they express it the best they can given the limitations imposed by the rules of the forum. Some aren't even slightly bothered that there's Muslims in the country and rather than identifying the immigrants as others, especially refugees (of which the majority are from Muslim countries) as "others" see a humanitarian problem. Some of those people have been motivated to action and have been to Calais to help those refugees or are going to Calais.

We've seen the antis blame the people who've gone to Calais for the Paris attacks and we've got a section that is almost exclusively about discussing Muslims. If this was a real pub I'd be making my mind up about now whether to edge towards the door or get some mates down.

Indeed but there's a very real clash on here. Some really don't like immigrants in particular Muslims. They're pretty angry and they express it the best they can given the limitations imposed by the rules of the forum. Some aren't even slightly bothered that there's Muslims in the country and rather than identifying the immigrants as others, especially refugees (of which the majority are from Muslim countries) as "others" see a humanitarian problem. Some of those people have been motivated to action and have been to Calais to help those refugees or are going to Calais.

We've seen the antis blame the people who've gone to Calais for the Paris attacks and we've got a section that is almost exclusively about discussing Muslims. If this was a real pub I'd be making my mind up about now whether to edge towards the door or get some mates down.

Actually on a point of order on that point some go beyond the rules of the forum and have had their posts removed.

It is very difficult to accept extreme prejudice. Humans are humans and I try to look beyond the fact that I don't believe in another's belief system. It is possible to be curious about the cultures of others, but it is naïve to think one particular country's cultural values can accommodate in every way the incompatibilities and expectations some visitors might wish to see practiced. It would be arrogance, no better than colonialism and imperialism.

On a Neanderthal note. I don't drink, as a rule. But, I have been invited with everyone else at work to go into town for a drink. Far and above having to try a drink or two, I'm wondering about the twerps on the end of too much to drink.

Unfortunately some people don't (or don't want to) get it. Quite a few of us are increasingly reluctant to participate in a forum which is slowly being hijacked by people who want to use it to promote any contentious issue, rather than the subjects for which the forum was established.

I personally have no issue with the forum retaining a Virtual Pub, and am quite happy for people to continue posting on non contentious subjects such as arts and crafts, steam railways, cars and motorbikes, recipes, sports events etc. What I do not want to have to do is engage filters which block these in order that I do not see the unpleasant rantings of the few objectionable people who are seeking to use the forum for their own warped purposes. Removing such issues to the Current Affairs section is merely turning a blind eye to what I consider to be unnecessarily unpleasant behavior.

As for those thick skinned people who demand suggest that we "sensitive" members do not open anything in the Virtual Pub in case it offends us, how many people would tolerate objectionable behavior in a real pub which was not stopped by the landlord? And if it wasn't curtailed, how many reasonable people would simply leave? Very many I suspect, and that is precisely what a lot of reasonable members are doing with the forum.

Edited by David Schweizer
  • Greenie 4