MER polish

Water Rat.

Featured Posts

My experience with MER was that eventually it started taking the paint off the boat, and has been mentioned already there are questions about the silicone content. Carnauba Wax polish may be a bit more expensive but it is easy to use and gives a lovely shine without the issues associated with MER.

It's spelt carnuba or carnauba depending where you are in the world.

Mer is the spawn of the devil. Ask any boat painter.

'Mer' is the noise I make during a nightmare, whilst desperately trying to wake myself up before a hideous monster manages to complete its hacking through my cabin top. According to Mrs Loafer.

As in 'Mer, mer...mer mer mer..' and so on!

I've always used Mer, and found it very effective. Once a year - usually in the spring - I use it neat to remove the bloom and restore the original colours, then throughout the year when I wash the boat (which isn't very often) I just add a small amount to the water and it makes it easy to wipe down without leaving smears.

Thanks for reminding me that I need to buy some more.

Surely you have to get the Carnaby* wax off just as thoroughly as silicone prior to painting new on top of old...

* The kreckt way of speeling it, obvioulsy :D

Yup, but caranabeeooba wax comes off with panel wipe.

Mer contains loads of silicons which get into every crack and cranny and no matter how well you try to clean down it's like it has 'spores' that will always do their very best to contaminate a panel prior to painting.

As I said above, ask any painter.

Great for Tupperware boats because you're just trying to get a shine on gel coat which will not require painting for decades.

Tony

Apart from carnuba, nearly all wax or Mer type polishes include silicon and do a good job. I have always used Mer on our boat as it was painted in modern automobile paint (2 pack).

A painter will always use the "silicon excuse" if the job does not go right but improper prepping is usually the true cause of any paintwork cock up.

There are additives that can be used in the repainting process to eliminate persistent "silicon" problems that sometimes stay in the job so in theory just carry on using your polish of preference and do not take too much notice of the silicon " experts ".

So. To those of you who have used it - have you had any issues with repainting?

I don't repaint the boat myself (black gloss is too unforgiving for my amateur skills) but neither of the painters who have done it for me have reported any problems.

I don't repaint the boat myself (black gloss is too unforgiving for my amateur skills) but neither of the painters who have done it for me have reported any problems.

Well they wouldn't, would they? They're probably hoping you'll be several hundred miles away by the time you discover the faults!

Apart from carnuba, nearly all wax or Mer type polishes include silicon and do a good job. I have always used Mer on our boat as it was painted in modern automobile paint (2 pack).

A painter will always use the "silicon excuse" if the job does not go right but improper prepping is usually the true cause of any paintwork cock up.

There are additives that can be used in the repainting process to eliminate persistent "silicon" problems that sometimes stay in the job so in theory just carry on using your polish of preference and do not take too much notice of the silicon " experts ".

No they won't. !

Well they wouldn't, would they? They're probably hoping you'll be several hundred miles away by the time you discover the faults!

Silicon problems are pretty much immediately apparent.

Edited by Higgs