TV advice

epic

Featured Posts

We using a Alba lcdw16hdf 240 volt 50hz 40w tv which works perfect but is a bit small so we tried our spare one a Marks & Spencer own brand pal bg i dk 240 volt 50/60 hz 60w but the picture keeps freezing so is unusable.

Does any one know if the wattage would make any difference to the picture freeze problem, i do not wont to buy a new one to have the same picture freezing problem.

The ariel is a maxview with a power booster and is working the small tv fine

thanks for your help

Tv's vary in the strength of signal required to give a good picture and sound.

The wattage will not have any effect on the TV picture but it will have an effect on your batteries if that is the way you are supplying it.

It will use 50% more power.

Many things but it comes down to signal quality and strength. It works both ways the signal can be to strong or to weak.

I would bet a tenner that the aerial is the problem,

I'll match that bet. I had all sorts of problems with a Maxview that went away with a log periodic.

If either of you has a good explanation of why an aerial problem would be affecting one TV and not the other I'd be interested to hear it. Apart of course from the point mentioned above, that one TV needs a stronger signal than the other.

thanks for all your help, it is running from a inverter and i thought because the small tv was ok the fault was not be the aerial but the larger tv. But if a buy a new one i may still have the same problem, I went to the t v shop and he an advised a lower range watts maybe 38watt what does everyone else use

If either of you has a good explanation of why an aerial problem would be affecting one TV and not the other I'd be interested to hear it. Apart of course from the point mentioned above, that one TV needs a stronger signal than the other.

You just answered your own question ?

thanks for all your help, it is running from a inverter and i thought because the small tv was ok the fault was not be the aerial but the larger tv. But if a buy a new one i may still have the same problem, I went to the t v shop and he an advised a lower range watts maybe 38watt what does everyone else use

To answer the question about what everyone else uses take a look at the Cello TV thread just below this one. The answer boils down to 'what I liked at the shop' ?

Its worth checking your aerial connection, is everything secure and corrosion free? In swapping the lead from one tv to another you could have disturbed something. Also some sets need a stronger signal than others, if looking for a new one check the spec for sensitivity.

Top Cat

It has nothing what so ever in anyway to do with the wattage.

It is an aerial problem, signal strength

or

Possibly a supply problem in the fact as mentioned it does not like the 'sine wave' of your inverter.

Is your inverter a 'pure sine wave' or not, if it is 'pure sine wave' then that eliminates that.

This post summarises all the above posts. wink.png

60w is a lot for a tv these days, unless it's huge. The so-called LED TVs use LEDs for backlighting and are much more efficient than the older LCD TVs so I'd make sure you get an LED one. As the others have said, the picture freeze is nothing to do with the power consumption.

I too had a problem when I changed from a Tosh to a Cello (which incidently has very good picture and sound). Picture freezing, dropping out etc. This was with a Maxview and seperate booster. Trie it without the booster and got a perfect picture, often in places where I couldn't get a picture with the booster before.

So, try it with the aerial connected straight through.

It could be a problem with the inverter if it is not a PSW, but nothing to do with the power.

Some tvs are more sensitive than others, both to the signal and the waveform.

... how do you check for sensitivity

The short answer is that you can't. Most TV manufacturers don't publish the figure and when they do it's pretty meaningless.

1. Find a TV you like.

2. Sort out your aerial arrangement if required to suit the TV.

3. A log periodic aerial, even a poor one, will be streets ahead of any omni aerial such as the Maxview.

Tony

You put it on the roof and pray you have a good signal.

It is Omni- directional, that is to say it picks up signals no matter which direction they come from.

Edited by bottle

I have an Omnimax and since the digital takeover and analogue stopping it is rare that I can't get a stable picture. Usually it is on the roof but I sometimes put it on a 5ft pole. The advantage of an Omnimax is you don't have to worry about which transmitter you are aiming at. It's ok if you can see a house aerial to copy the direction, but otherwise you might not be pointing a directional aerial at the best transmitter.

It doesn't hurt to know where the TV signal is likely to be coming from: we boaters are supposed to be an intelligent and self-reliant species. Once you know roughly where the transmitter is, get a map and a compass and point a log periodic aerial in the right direction. We're using a cheapo Screwfix aerial (this one)

http://www.screwfix.com/p/labgear-mini-compact-log-periodic-aerial/67576

with excellent results. Nothing is going to work well in a deep cutting, though: that's what DVD players and books are for!

It doesn't hurt to know where the TV signal is likely to be coming from: we boaters are supposed to be an intelligent and self-reliant species. Once you know roughly where the transmitter is, get a map and a compass and point a log periodic aerial in the right direction. We're using a cheapo Screwfix aerial (this one)

http://www.screwfix.com/p/labgear-mini-compact-log-periodic-aerial/67576

with excellent results. Nothing is going to work well in a deep cutting, though: that's what DVD players and books are for!

Yes I got one like that. After years of messing with hopeless omnidirectional aerials, it works great. I just plonk it in the roof having used the iPhone app to work out which way to point it, and get a perfect picture in places where the omni-types were hopeless.