cav bs5 24v starter motors

crossley

Featured Posts

Has anyone a manual I could beg steal or borrow for these starters?

Have a box full of these in various states I've cannibalized over the years, hoping I may be able to cobble together a good spare one out of the leftovers.

A good clear exploded view around the overrun clutch plates would most helpful too.

Are the clutch plates to be assembled dry?

I'm tempted to put a bit moly grease on the faces, but not if it will cause slipping under load.

I always liked the un hurried clunk,.... Whirr whirr noise these things made.

Are spares still available?

Don't have a manual but have used this info http://www.gardnerengineforum.co.uk/Web%20PDF%20Versions/Newsletter%2014.pdf (page 15 onward s) over the years to do exactly the same as you want to do.

The article continues into the next newsletter which has details of setting the solenoid correctly

Have always assembled the clutches dry.

Some spares are available from here.http://woodauto.com/advSearch.aspx.

Type in BS5 in the top right corner search box then peruse the options until you find what you need

Steve

Edited by Split Pin

Has anyone a manual I could beg steal or borrow for these starters?

Have a box full of these in various states I've cannibalized over the years, hoping I may be able to cobble together a good spare one out of the leftovers.

A good clear exploded view around the overrun clutch plates would most helpful too.

Are the clutch plates to be assembled dry?

I'm tempted to put a bit moly grease on the faces, but not if it will cause slipping under load.

I always liked the un hurried clunk,.... Whirr whirr noise these things made.

Are spares still available?

I have the original CAV Workshop manual for axial starters. Pub No 2571/2 with amendment May 1979. If that is any use PM me an e-mail address and I'll scan it in and send it. There are about 28 pp so it's likely to take a couple of days.

The manual does say to grease the clutch plates lightly- Shell Nerita or BP Energrease are recommended.

There is a sectional drawing of the clutch assy and an exploded view of an SL5 in the manual.

HTH

N