Stolen boat alert

Ally

Featured Posts

Cloning cars is something of a problem but now getting the duplicate set of plates made up is a lot more difficult, you'd need to find a 'dodgy' merchant to do it for you. All of the legitimate number plate makers will want evidence of the car you want them for, like a V5 document or they wont do it. If you want to try knocking one together yourself you need to be pretty good at it since anything that looks home made (even these stick on one's you can make) will get you stopped and checked.

To be honest if it were my boat that had gone missing I'd be getting a pushbike together to check along the towpath looking for it. It wont have gone (very far) down the T & M because Stenson lock is closed until 20th December and it can't go far up the Trent since Newark lock is still shut so it has either gone down the Soar towards Leicester or up the Erewash. With a bike you should be able to check both of those direction in a couple of days. Whilst the theft has been reported to the Police, realistically are they going to send someone to patrol the towpath looking for it? I wouldn't think so.

Did the boat definitely disappear only the other night? Given the number of them moored along the soar up to nearly Ratcliffe lock it wouldn't be surprising if they didn't notice a missing one.

I'm curious why they believe it went at 3.0 a m. Presumably someone heard a boat go by then?

A small cruiser with four large occupants came down the trent and through beeston lock at 5.00 a m a week ago and returned two hours later. We did wonder what they could be doing.

Did the boat definitely disappear only the other night? Given the number of them moored along the soar up to nearly Ratcliffe lock it wouldn't be surprising if they didn't notice a missing one.

I'm curious why they believe it went at 3.0 a m. Presumably someone heard a boat go by then?

A small cruiser with four large occupants came down the trent and through beeston lock at 5.00 a m a week ago and returned two hours later. We did wonder what they could be doing.

That was my thoughts

That was my thoughts

Yes that had occurred to me as well. If you are lying in bed and a boat chugs past at that sort of time it would arouse curiosity, even if it is along the lines of 'What muppet is out at this time of night' whereas if you took a boat during day the how many people are going to question it. I think I may be repeating an anecdote (we're allowed to do that as we get oldericecream.gif ) but a couple of years ago now I went with a friend to go sailing. When we got to the boat he then remembered that the key to the padlock to get into the cabin was back at home, 200 miles away! He just took out a set of bolt croppers and cut the padlock off (this was in a marina), and how many people approached to ask what we were doing? yup, that'll be absolutely no-onerolleyes.gif

Time and date has got me wondering now. We had a dark blue hire boat pass us at Rothley last Tuesday morning, the boat was heading towards Leicester. That would be 3 days before the reported date that the boat went missing.

I wonder who owns it?

If, as reported, it is one of the old Shakespeare boats then answering that question is not straightforward. From earlier reports, the company is not in receivership (so there is no receiver to take them over) but its assets have been locked pending further legal action. Other reports suggest that the boat may have been in shared ownership. If so then again the ownership is complicated - the people who are interested own shares that entitle them to a certain amount of use, not a part of the asset. Others have misunderstood this to their cost.

So, I'm not sure who might want to be riding up and down looking for it!

If, as reported, it is one of the old Shakespeare boats then answering that question is not straightforward. From earlier reports, the company is not in receivership (so there is no receiver to take them over) but its assets have been locked pending further legal action. Other reports suggest that the boat may have been in shared ownership. If so then again the ownership is complicated - the people who are interested own shares that entitle them to a certain amount of use, not a part of the asset. Others have misunderstood this to their cost.

AIUI, Shakespeare were time share, not shared ownership for whatever difference that makes.

AIUI, Shakespeare were time share, not shared ownership for whatever difference that makes.

As I understand, it in timeshare you only own the right to certain times in/on the property/boat. Shared ownership you own a % of the boat/property.

I may be wrong.

This does start to get curiouser and curiouser. I've had a look at Nottinghamshire Police News site and Facebook site and there isn't any mention at all of any stolen boats. Likewise Leicester Police, if the boat hasn't been officially reported to the Police as stolen how are the people looking for it going to recover it should they find it? If it has I find it odd the neither Police Force has made any reference to it on their news sites (or Facebook).

Edited by Wanderer Vagabond

Can't answer any of the extra questions I'm afraid, literally all I know is in my original post. I've heard nothing locally since, other than the local C&rt office contacting some boatyards to inform them.

Edited by Ally

This does start to get curiouser and curiouser. I've had a look at Nottinghamshire Police News site and Facebook site and there isn't any mention at all of any stolen boats. Likewise Leicester Police, if the boat hasn't been officially reported to the Police as stolen how are the people looking for it going to recover it should they find it? If it has I find it odd the neither Police Force has made any reference to it on their news sites (or Facebook).

Good evening .... May I refer you to my posts 14 & 40 on this thread.

Either this is a load of old cobblers or the owners of this boat really can't be bothered to do the obvious, like errrr .... notify The Rozzers, broadcast the details .... Ummm ...... spread the Crime Number to ensure anyone who reports its sighting is taken seriously ....... Capitalise on The Towpath Telegraph and Internet.

Instead, they seemed to have ridden a bike up down a bit of towpath and told our friend Ally to keep a look out for a 57ft cruiser stern narrowboat, signwritten Henry V, dark blue, possibly with red handrails. And if you see it ...... phone the Police? No! Call the marina!

I know you can't fix 'Stupid' but this is beyond that.

Time and date has got me wondering now. We had a dark blue hire boat pass us at Rothley last Tuesday morning, the boat was heading towards Leicester. That would be 3 days before the reported date that the boat went missing.

There is a dark blue hire boat based at Pillings that is often around on the river.

Good evening .... May I refer you to my posts 14 & 40 on this thread.

Either this is a load of old cobblers or the owners of this boat really can't be bothered to do the obvious, like errrr .... notify The Rozzers, broadcast the details .... Ummm ...... spread the Crime Number to ensure anyone who reports its sighting is taken seriously ....... Capitalise on The Towpath Telegraph and Internet.

Instead, they seemed to have ridden a bike up down a bit of towpath and told our friend Ally to keep a look out for a 57ft cruiser stern narrowboat, signwritten Henry V, dark blue, possibly with red handrails. And if you see it ...... phone the Police? No! Call the marina!

I know you can't fix 'Stupid' but this is beyond that.

As in post #87 since ownership of this boat may be, shall we say, 'unclear' is there a possibility that one of the 'share' owners (Time share or whatever it is) has taken the line 'possessions is 9/10th or the law' and has 'sequestered' the boat as a means of recovering money? Not sure whether it falls into the 'Stupid' category or notunsure.png

my current boat was a stolen boat the owner paid half the costs and a well known boat finance company paid the other half the boat disappeared for over a year no license no payments no nothing. it was discovered by accident by bw up a small river moored on a farmers land, the half owner realising the game was up stripped the boat and did a runner. now if he had been clever i suppose he could have registered the boat with bw a second time altering the details and his name and maybe disappeared with the boat completely who knows

• 1 month later...