Victron Inverter Help needed - Multiplus

Lanners

Featured Posts

Hi all,

We have a Multi Plus 12v 3000va 120amp inverter which has stopped working (unit is 4 years old)

When I unplug / turn off the shore power to our boat, the inverter fails kick in to supply 240v power (It is on)

I have checked the 12v terminals going in to the inverter which are fine (12.8v), but it seems the inverter wont switch and turn on (no LEDs on the inverter side on panel either).

Perhaps there is an internal fuse that needs replacing? - I've had the cover off, and cant see anything,

Its worked fine until now, (and works fine on shore power)

I did trip the power recently due to a faulty set of fairy lights, perhaps that's fried something?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Hi all,

We have a Multi Plus 12v 3000va 120amp inverter which has stopped working (unit is 4 years old)

When I unplug / turn off the shore power to our boat, the inverter fails kick in to supply 240v power (It is on)

I have checked the 12v terminals going in to the inverter which are fine (12.8v), but it seems the inverter wont switch and turn on (no LEDs on the inverter side on panel either).

Perhaps there is an internal fuse that needs replacing? - I've had the cover off, and cant see anything,

I did trip the power recently due to a faulty set of fairy lights, perhaps that's fried something?

I'm sure you've checked. But if not there's a red button on the front press it to reset fuse if not there's a big fuse inside just above where the 12 leads come into the unit.

Could it be an RCD unit, tripping downstream of your inverter?

When my last Victron Multi Plus blew up, the whole lot didn't work. Nada. Diddly. Except the magic smoke.

I dont think so, RCD works fine (using it now on shore power), 240v coming out of Victron and onto RCD, but not when unplugged.

I dont think so, RCD works fine (using it now on shore power), 240v coming out of Victron and onto RCD, but not when unplugged.

Sounds like a call to Victron is required. While you're on, tell 'em I think they're rubbish.

OK then - is there a setting for UPS mode, i.e. uninterruptible power supply, where it's supposed to cut in immediately following an AC failure outside?

How about a complete switch-off, disconnect shore power, then switch on again?

I don't believe your fairly lights would have damaged it.

Edited by Loafer

There is a huge internal fuse plus a red reset switch.

If you have a meter you can test the fuse. Just press the reset switch.

Not necessarily. Our original Victron had a large Megafuse inside. The one that replaced it in 2012 didn't so I fitted an external one. If you do test the fuse I found that testing it in situ would give strange readings. Better to remove it to test.

The reset button may not be noticeable. Again on our original one it was underneath the unit on the left hand side. In fact the cover securing screw in that spot was shorter than the others or it fouled the switch. I don't know where it is on the current one. I suppose I ought to find out.

Edited by pearley

Sounds like a call to Victron is required. While you're on, tell 'em I think they're rubbish.

OK then - is there a setting for UPS mode, i.e. uninterruptible power supply, where it's supposed to cut in immediately following an AC failure outside?

How about a complete switch-off, disconnect shore power, then switch on again?

I don't believe your fairly lights would have damaged it.

Tried turning it all off / back on a good few times with no luck.

re: UPS setting, its always worked in the past and I haven't changed anything, there are some dip switches for other options / setup, but as nothing has changed, I cant see why I'd need to tinker with them.

Not necessarily. Our original Victron had a large Megafuse inside. The one that replaced it in 2012 didn't so I fitted an external one. If you do test the fuse I found that testing it in situ would give strange readings. Better to remove it to test.

The reset button may not be noticeable. Again on our original one it was underneath the unit on the left hand side. In fact the cover securing screw in that spot was shorter than the others or it fouled the switch. I don't know where it is on the current one. I suppose I ought to find out.

Ours has no mega fuse, Its just a circuit board (with the dip switches in the top left), and then the cables connected at the bottom, I've also looked on the back and bottom (should I have taken the bottom / back cover off?), no fuse / breaker. Damn thing!

Edited by Lanners

I have one here with the same problem sometimes works for a bit but usually dosn't. Victron charged me 400 Euros last time they fixed it. I went to the factory just outside Amsterdam. The repair department was doing a roaring trade to say the least. There is a company over Tamworth way that will repair them. Sellweb they are called, I have never used them but thats where my Victron is going when I get around to it.

I have one here with the same problem sometimes works for a bit but usually dosn't. Victron charged me 400 Euros last time they fixed it. I went to the factory just outside Amsterdam. The repair department was doing a roaring trade to say the least. There is a company over Tamworth way that will repair them. Sellweb they are called, I have never used them but thats where my Victron is going when I get around to it.

Is this them https://www.facebook.com/Sellweb-Industrial-electronic-repairs-208885695874933/

Yeh I guess as time goes on they change things.

Do you have the computer adapter & software?

Sometimes they seem to get stuck & need the software to reboot them.

Literally just plugging it in & running the software sorts it.

I dont have the software, I'll give it a go though, I have a network cable for the RJ45 socket, but it says You also need a Mk2 USB, is that just a standard USB cable?

I read on another list that sometimes completely removing the power both 240 v ac and 12 volts dc for a short time and then reconnecting reboots it.

OK great, I'll try that first :)

Hi all,

If you have a remote switch, remove this as this will override the on/off/charge switch on the multiplus itself. If it starts working as it should it may be the remote switch / cable.

If you have a remote switch, remove this as this will override the on/off/charge switch on the multiplus itself. If it starts working as it should it may be the remote switch / cable.

no remote,

I emailed Victron who forwarded to Barden - I guess they are the UK suppliers, they're saying I need to send it to them to send to the Netherlands to be fixed, god knows how much this is going to cost!

I also emailed Sellweb as recommended on here, hopefully they'll be able to help!

Just a thought but the folk at Springwood Haven (Coventry canal) called Onboard Energy are Victron agents I'm pretty sure. Might be worth a second opinion from them.

024 7639 3676

Thanks both!

Will try them too, seems a bit weird it cant be fixed in the UK