London Boat Show 2016.

Fender151

Featured Posts

I am in the process of completing Canal boat purchase, (be very afraid)

There are some things I need to add, solid WiFi solution being one of them, from the info posted on this forum, and my own research, I think i am going to go with the solution from WiFi on board:

4G Mifi with High Gain Marine Antenna

This MiFi kit includes the Huawei Mifi unit, the High Gain 6dB Marine Antenna, and the TS9 Adaptor. Just add a SIM card and you are ready to connect to the internet wherever you are.

Interested to have feedback from anybody using this setup.

I know these guys are exhibiting at London Boat Show 2016, given I live in the South, I was considering going to the show to, talk in person with the supplier, see if there is anything better on the market, and have a general mooch about.

Has/does anybody been to the Boat show, is it there likely to be anything of interest/relevant to Canal world, yes I know, apart from the providers of drinks etc.

Any thoughts.

If you are there on Thursday 7th, watch out for the narrow boat flotilla arriving. Leaving Monday 12th. Weather permitting.

Probably (but I would say that) the most interesting thing at the show. I did buy various gadgets (eg flares, depth sounder) on my last visit

Thanks for that, my understanding is the boat show opens on Friday the 8th, so was wonder what happens on the 7th, in addition to the narrow boat flotilla pageant.

Cheers,

Generally big discounts on stuff bought / ordered at the boat show.

I think it unlikely that "WiFi On board" would recommend any other system as being better than theirs.

Has you new purchase got everything ?

Now is your chance to get it all at a discount.

Mooring ropes

Mooring pins

Anchor

Chain

Windlass

Engine spares

etc. etc.

Generally big discounts on stuff bought / ordered at the boat show.

I think it unlikely that "WiFi On board" would recommend any other system as being better than theirs.

Has you new purchase got everything ?

Now is your chance to get it all at a discount.

Mooring ropes

Mooring pins

Anchor

Chain

Windlass

Engine spares

etc. etc.

That's the feedback I was after Alan, Thanks. And yes, I do have a shopping list of stuff I know I am going to need, and another blank list of stuff I don't know i need, yet.

Cheers

good point.

A: not much, I expect to be defrosting my feet.

Happy to meet up for a pint on the 8th if you're around.

Cheers

I have been for the past few years. not much narrowboaty there , I did buy an inflatable canoe a couple of years ago which fits well in a narrowboat! . Having said that it's a good day out! Amazing looking at the sunseekers and princess boats .. how the other half live!, plus quite a few small plastic boats to look at and loads of chandlery etc.

I tend to go most years as it's only a bus ride away from where I live and it fills a day when there is not much else on. As others have said there is these days very little that is Narrowboat specific ( the show is a fraction if the size it was before the recession) but there are normally a lot of chandleries selling clothing, accessories etc and the main engine manufacturers are normally there. It is also fun to traipse round the million pound cruisers. Don't forget to visit the IWA stand for canal books etc.

Tim

I understand ABC are there this year whether that's to advertised the hire fleet, shared ownership or their marinas I know not. Perhaps all of their services. That and the IWA is about it in my previous experience. from memory the only boats moored in the dock were those who went down on the St Pancras cruise. The Camden lock closure will stop us joining them this year...and I am not going to the tidal Thames from Brentford instead, certainly not in January.

I understand ABC are there this year whether that's to advertised the hire fleet, shared ownership or their marinas I know not. Perhaps all of their services. That and the IWA is about it in my previous experience. from memory the only boats moored in the dock were those who went down on the St Pancras cruise. The Camden lock closure will stop us joining them this year...and I am not going to the tidal Thames from Brentford instead, certainly not in January.

We did the trip from Brentford a few years ago. Left Brentford at 6.0am and came in at Limehouse. Whilst waiting for the next tide from Bow locks we did a quick trip around the Bow Back Rivers before joining the SPCC trip to the Royal Docks. We got to share the KGV lock with a frigate! A few pictures:

http://www.pbase.com/timlewis/excel_trip_january_2006&page=all

Tim

Edited by Tim Lewis

What are the mooring arrangements? We're a bit east of there, might be a good excuse to come and moor in the Royal Docks for a bit.

See here from the St Pancras website for dates and times. You would need to contact Andrew P to discuss

1. it is possible for you to lock through at the same time - given you are coming from downstream
  2. if there is any remaining space on the moorings that SPCC will be using, given your size etc.
  3. what fee RODMA would charge you.
Edited by Scholar Gypsy

See here from the St Pancras website for dates and times. You would need to contact Andrew P to discuss

1. it is possible for you to lock through at the same time - given you are coming from downstream
  2. if there is any remaining space on the moorings that SPCC will be using, given your size etc.
  3. what fee RODMA would charge you.

Thanks for the info. Yes, synchronising the timings would be the tricky bit, especially with us having to lock out of here too, although there's places we could sit out a tide or two. It occurs to me that we could make more of a trip of it by chugging up to Limehouse the previous day and then joining the trip downstream. It would be nice to join SPCC for a trip - Wren met some of you when you last came to Barking Creek a couple of years ago.

Unfortunately it looks like Wren may have work commitments on the 7th though so it might not work for us.

Hope it works out - note the NBs will be leaving either via Bow Locks (should be OK for you?) or via Three Mills (might not be possible. given low headroom in Stratford?).

Yes in theory we fit up the Limehouse Cut with the wheelhouse down - it's close though, and have yet to actually test it.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the info. Yes, synchronising the timings would be the tricky bit, especially with us having to lock out of here too, although there's places we could sit out a tide or two. It occurs to me that we could make more of a trip of it by chugging up to Limehouse the previous day and then joining the trip downstream. It would be nice to join SPCC for a trip - Wren met some of you when you last came to Barking Creek a couple of years ago.

Unfortunately it looks like Wren may have work commitments on the 7th though so it might not work for us.

We made it yesterday - rather windy coming along the Royals though. My camera was getting rather wet so I put it away.

Some photos here: https://nbsg.wordpress.com/to-the-royal-docks/

We made it yesterday - rather windy coming along the Royals though. My camera was getting rather wet so I put it away.

Some photos here: https://nbsg.wordpress.com/to-the-royal-docks/

Glad you made it OK. We had to give up on the idea, both due to work commitments that day and subsequent fuel system trouble, but we're going to come down to have a look around the show tomorrow afternoon.

The 9 boats made it back too. A short Timelapse video here

I was assisting on a trad stern, not sure if was that sensible hanging on to the side, especially when feet got wet because I didn't see the wash of a passing boat. I think I prefer my cruiser stern, non traditional me. Many thanks to SPCC (Andrew Phasey) for organising.