Old Bedford River Navigation Attempt

Manxcat

Featured Posts

Ah the Lamb & Flag. Used to be my local many years ago when we lived near Welney. It was a better than ok pub even then.

We used to live there - though only for a month, after a serious house fire. The insurance company paid our rent but did not cover the beer expenses.

We used to live there - though only for a month, after a serious house fire. The insurance company paid our rent but did not cover the beer expenses.

We were up the road a piece in Lakeland and used the pub most Sunday lunch times. It was was when living there that we bought our first Nb which we moored at Charlie Fox's yard in March.

Now that really was "back in the day".

Our 'Trojan' was launched at Fox's, that would be in 2006 I think. Our unexpected residency at the Lamb & Flag was in January 2011.

We had long moved on from Fox's by then. I am looking at late 80s when we were there - it was a great place in those days with some real live-aboard characters around. Not sure what changed but I believe there is no residential down there any more and, of course, we have now lost Charlie (love him or hate him). We went from there to Evesham due top work related moves and then came back to Northants (Oundle area).

We had long moved on from Fox's by then. I am looking at late 80s when we were there - it was a great place in those days with some real live-aboard characters around. Not sure what changed but I believe there is no residential down there any more and, of course, we have now lost Charlie (love him or hate him). We went from there to Evesham due top work related moves and then came back to Northants (Oundle area).

There was certainly one residential couple there in about 2013 - I knew them as they had previously been in the Upwell area. They were there for several months at least.

There was certainly one residential couple there in about 2013 - I knew them as they had previously been in the Upwell area. They were there for several months at least.

What goes round comes round perhaps. Charlie was always at "war" with authority it seems. I was told that the second basin at the yard was dug without planning permission and it actually cut right through a footpath - hence that steel footbridge. I was around when all that was going on and, if the stories were true, he never looked overly concerned.