Facilities at Walsall

Andrew Denny

Featured Posts

Andrew, I'm sorry to hear that you are having problems,,though I can't see how such a marina could be financially viable, given the small amount of boat traffic in the area ( sadly ). Perhaps the situation will change when the L&H are open....

Dave

Possibly, although with the pub, hotel and fast food outlets clustered in the basin area, one might expect most rubbish to originate in the basin rather than outside it. However, the basin usually seems both rubbish and weed free so whatever the barrier is for, it seems to work.

The first time I entered the basin a few years ago I saw the bar across the entrance and that there were no boats inside so I assumed that it was a barrier to prevent boats entering for some reason. Spent a very uncomfortable afternoon moored up on the Wolverhampton Road side of the arm reaching the shops only with great difficulty until a friendly Polish fisherman told me that if I pushed the bar with my bow, it would easily move to the side and spring back when I'd passed through. I gave him a can of beer for that and he returned the compliment by giving me a swig of his delicious Polish vodka.

I had wondered how it works. Thanks for the explanation.

Thanks to everyone for replies. I'm wandering the northern BCN to refresh my memory in advance of next summer's IWA festival - it's six years since I came here boat.

Seems that Norton Canes will sell red diesel for heating only, and a nearby place (filling station) will sell gas. Aldridge only do pumpout, not diesel or gas, and Longwood I can't seem to find contact details for.

The Northern BCN clearly needs a good full-service marina.

It does but sadly not enough people are brave enough to traverse it so the call isnt there, fingers crossed the Lichfield reopening will change that.

cross posted with Mr Moore..

Edited by AMModels

Thanks to everyone for replies. I'm wandering the northern BCN to refresh my memory in advance of next summer's IWA festival - it's six years since I came here boat.

Seems that Norton Canes will sell red diesel for heating only, and a nearby place (filling station) will sell gas. Aldridge only do pumpout, not diesel or gas, and Longwood I can't seem to find contact details for.

How desperate are you and how long will you be staying on the BCN?

I am visiting the BCLM on the evening of Saturday 12th to attend an event. As Tillergirl mentioned above, on the Sunday (13th) i plan to trundle down to central Birmingham to visit the floating market and spend the evening in town. My diesel is 66ppl @ 100% domestic with a self declaration.

If you can wait that long i can arrange to meet up with you.

Oh i just remembered Halsall will be on his way up passing through the centre weekend after next.

Decision made, see post above :-)

• Greenie 1

Hi. Birmingham Fuel Oils(0121 382 6262) on the Tame valley canal. We paid 65ppl last month. I believe that they also sell gas.

They are just above the second lock on the Perry Barr flight. There is a door in the wall on the offside with a sign next to it. Just toot your horn or phone. Hope this helps.

Tom

Hi. Birmingham Fuel Oils(0121 382 6262) on the Tame valley canal. We paid 65ppl last month. I believe that they also sell gas.

They are just above the second lock on the Perry Barr flight. There is a door in the wall on the offside with a sign next to it. Just toot your horn or phone. Hope this helps.

Tom

Did you let Bob Draper know?

http://diesel.fibrefactory.co.uk

How desperate are you and how long will you be staying on the BCN?

I am visiting the BCLM on the evening of Saturday 12th to attend an event. As Tillergirl mentioned above, on the Sunday (13th) i plan to trundle down to central Birmingham to visit the floating market and spend the evening in town. My diesel is 66ppl @ 100% domestic with a self declaration.

If you can wait that long i can arrange to meet up with you.

Whoo hoo!

Edited by tillergirl

Regarding references to Sherbourne Wharf, remember that the facilities have moved to the Fiddle and Bone. And Walsall Basin, why the little yellow barrier across the entrance?

The council had it put in to stop rubbish blowing into the basin, it self centres and moves when a boat pushes it.

The council had it put in to stop rubbish blowing into the basin, it self centres and moves when a boat pushes it.

It might stop rubbish blowing into the basin but it doesn't stop all the rubbish that is dumped into the water of left lying all around by the good people of Walsall. We spent a night moored in the basin last September and didn't use the pontoons as they were covered in goose s***. We had to wash the s*** off the mooring rings before tying up. However, that was as nothing compared to the mess the next morning . The waters edge and grass areas were strewn with bottles, crisp packets, food wrappers and remains of carry out food. Absolutely disgusting. One of the dirtiest moorings we have ever had. We thought the area had a lot of potential too. Very sad.

haggis

Edited by haggis

We went into the basin, had a coffee in the art gallery, then retreated to the pontoon at the junction for the night! Is the pontoon still there?

It might stop rubbish blowing into the basin but it doesn't stop all the rubbish that is dumped into the water of left lying all around by the good people of Walsall. We spent a night moored in the basin last September and didn't use the pontoons as they were covered in goose s***. We had to wash the s*** off the mooring rings before tying up. However, that was as nothing compared to the mess the next morning . The waters edge and grass areas were strewn with bottles, crisp packets, food wrappers and remains of carry out food. Absolutely disgusting. One of the dirtiest moorings we have ever had. We thought the area had a lot of potential too. Very sad.

haggis

I moored "Barnet" in the basin for several years, I had to go and inspect it everyday and remove the detritus that was in the hold, this included used condoms!! The area has potential but the population now surrounding it doesn't seem interested in heritage. I left the borough in December 2013 and frankly never ever wish to go back, the whole area has changed and it is no longer the friendly working class place that it was, the basin sadly is now a white elephant, either route out takes you through some of the worst parts of the Borough, ie Birchills and Pleck.