Facilities at Walsall

Andrew Denny

Featured Posts

Northern BCN is a bit sparse. You have CTS / Norton Canes up the Cannock extension, I think the services at Brownhills has a pump out machine (card needed). Going the other way back onto the BCN mainline there is Caggy's boatyard just the Birmingham side of the Tipton locks, or of course full services by Sherborne Wharf in the city centre.

I am not vouching that CTS or Norton canes or Caggy's has all the things you need, this is just a list of people to phone.

Grit your teeth, gird your loins and head south down Ryders Green to the Main Line. Turn left and high tail it to the Fiddle & Bone. Diesel and PO available there. Not sure about gas.

ETA Reading the above, don't think there is a PO m/c at Brownhills

Edited by Victor Vectis

Grit your teeth, gird your loins and head south down Ryders Green to the Main Line. Turn left and high tail it to the Fiddle & Bone. Diesel and PO available there. Not sure about gas.

ETA Reading the above, don't think there is a PO m/c at Brownhills

There is a pump out on weekdays at Aldridge marina, just beyond Brownhills - near us too. Mind you - no diesel out here in the boonies!

Edited by Capt Ahab

Gas - https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Tent+Hire+Ltd/@52.5892549,-1.9997678,15z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x23e6d647458a508decent folks as well

Saw your pics on twitter, pretty quiet for boats in the arm.

Not sure what services they have at the top lock, looks like just boatbuilding from locals pictures although I think there are a couple of liveaboards regular visitors on site so presumably they get diesel from somewhere?

Pretty sure there is a pump-out at Ocker Hill, though its heavily fortified.

Ignore Mr Vectis cus it will be UP Ryders green. He is dead right about girding the loins though.

The black country arms is only a short walk from the basin, thats a good place for loin girding.

................Dave

currently diesel is 80p litre at Sherborne and a friend of mine says Caggys is much the same. I kmow Sherborne will let you declare your own split. Not sure what price pump out7 is there but gas is £27.25 13kg bottle. Coal 25kg bag is £11.95. Or if you can last Lyons on the Stratford is 76p litre and gas was just over £23. Not sure if they do pump out best to ring first.

Oh i just remembered Halsall will be on his way up passing through the centre weekend after next.

Edited by tillergirl

I'm at Walsall town basin on the BCN & want more diesel, pumpout & gas. What's my best option?

It depends upon how desperate you are for fuel/pump out. When we over wintered in Brum last year I tended to try to put all my trade Coombeswoods way at Hawne Basin. Their diesel will be the cheapest in Brum (they were 49p/98p in September), as will their gas. They do pump out but I don't know the cost (I'm cassette, but that a whole different conversation wink.png ). They are 14.5 miles and 8 locks from where you are at the moment (with the added joy of Gorsty Tunnel).

If they have space they are pretty reasonable for mooring as well.

Edited by Wanderer Vagabond

Diesel will be cheapest at Hawne basin, they also have a pump out and sell gas

Richard

It depends upon how desperate you are for fuel/pump out. When we over wintered in Brum last year I tended to try to put all my trade Coombeswoods way at Hawne Basin. Their diesel will be the cheapest in Brum, as will their gas. They do pump out but I don't know the cost (I'm cassette, but that a whole different conversation ;) ). They are 14.5 miles and 8 locks from where you are at the moment (with the added joy of Gorsty Tunnel).

If they have space they are pretty reasonable for mooring as well.

Indeed. You get a certain length of time free

Richard

Try ringing Norton Canes for diesel, no gas or pump as far as I know. You could call in a local fuel lorry as at Walsall Town wharf they can get near enough to bunker you up. Probably get your gas the same way too. Try Carvers 01902 557005, also there is the Wulfruna Coal Company at Horseley fields for gas.

Oh i just remembered Halsall will be on his way up passing through the centre weekend after next.

Need to nip that rumour in the bud. Nothing is confirmed at the moment. It seems a couple of the stoppages that have affected my regular run my be finishing early. If that is the case then I will have to adjust my plans for the last couple of weeks before the xmas break. I will confirm in the next few days.

More likely rubbish blowing in

Possibly, although with the pub, hotel and fast food outlets clustered in the basin area, one might expect most rubbish to originate in the basin rather than outside it. However, the basin usually seems both rubbish and weed free so whatever the barrier is for, it seems to work.

The first time I entered the basin a few years ago I saw the bar across the entrance and that there were no boats inside so I assumed that it was a barrier to prevent boats entering for some reason. Spent a very uncomfortable afternoon moored up on the Wolverhampton Road side of the arm reaching the shops only with great difficulty until a friendly Polish fisherman told me that if I pushed the bar with my bow, it would easily move to the side and spring back when I'd passed through. I gave him a can of beer for that and he returned the compliment by giving me a swig of his delicious Polish vodka.

Thanks to everyone for replies. I'm wandering the northern BCN to refresh my memory in advance of next summer's IWA festival - it's six years since I came here boat.

Seems that Norton Canes will sell red diesel for heating only, and a nearby place (filling station) will sell gas. Aldridge only do pumpout, not diesel or gas, and Longwood I can't seem to find contact details for.

The Northern BCN clearly needs a good full-service marina.