BEEPER beeping when engine runs!

nipper

Featured Posts

Hi all!

I've been here at Cowley Peachy for a week laid up with a throat and chest infection, with nearly all my antibiotics taken, today I thought it would be a good idea to move a few miles as the wind seemed to be easing a tad and the fact being so long in one spot grates on my CC'rs brain!

So started the engine, which burst into life immediately and heard that the warning beeper was beeping. So slipped the control leaver out of gear and gave the engine lots of revs. Beeper continued but everything seemed to be working!
It was then that i notice it, The BMV was telling me that i had minus 17 or so amps going out of the batteries.

I've spent 2 hours stripping the cocooned engine down and searching for a loose wire or anything that I could identify as being the culprit. All belts seem as usual and as i left them at the last engine service..

Has the team any idea's before I go the lazymans way and call out CRR?

Ignition light is on with no othr lights showing!

Engine is a Beta 50 with designated alternators, no split charging!

Ah! surprising what one misses when your body isn't working at full chat, the oil gauge isn't moving!

Nipper

Had much the same issue with a Beta 43 a few years ago (although no issue with the oil gauge). It turned out to be a dirty multi-plug (and of course it happened just as I had entered a river section on the Wey). Plugs apart, WD40 (other products available), a good clean and everything back together and no issues from then on.

Had much the same issue with a Beta 43 a few years ago (although no issue with the oil gauge). It turned out to be a dirty multi-plug (and of course it happened just as I had entered a river section on the Wey). Plugs apart, WD40 (other products available), a good clean and everything back together and no issues from then on.

Do you need to update your location? ("Northampton General Hospital"). I was pleased to see photos on Twitter of you next to Sculptor recently ....

Yup with what seems to be 2 faults (no charging and no oil pressure gauge) it's very likely to something in the wiring between the engine and panel, with the multi-way plug being the prime candidate. Also there is an inline fuse in the same wiring loom, check that too.

Hope you feel better soon!

Do you need to update your location? ("Northampton General Hospital"). I was pleased to see photos on Twitter of you next to Sculptor recently ....

Sadly not - here for at least another three weeks and then in the lap of the gods if I go home or into longer term rehab. :-(

Edited by Leo No2

Thank you Leo,

Hope your on the mend and not letting it get you down!

Yes, nickorman, I seem to have two multi's, one at the top by the engine controls etc, and the bottom one we all love to hate!

I've managed to take the lower engine one apart, it's a good job i taped it all up the last time i had trouble with the dam thing beforejudge.gif

But i cant seem to find the problem.

Having just come inside all hot and wet through with sweat, I've pushed the button on the CRR site, cus it seem like it's times like this is what you pay them for.

Although i only have the retainer through my insurers!

Nipper

Canal rescue have just gone! yep, at 6-30ish

Main alternator taken off and will be put into repairers in the morning!

Engine now charging batteries using travel pack!

Nipper

and what is turning the water pump?

I have no idea whats happening with the oil pressure gauge,he will look at that when he returns with either the repaired or a new alternator,

I was surprised when he phoned around 5 ish and said he would be with me in 5 minutes. I did give the feller the option of doing it tomorrow, but he insisted he come and attend and see what he could do!

Tonight was not a good night for working in the dark, but the rain was kept off with the back cover.

The impeller is, as far as i know, driven off the drive shaft on a beta 50.

Nipper

On my beta 43 the domestic alternator has its own belt. The small engine alternator has its own belt that also drives the water pump. OP says "main alternator" which I take to mean the domestic one.

Yes the domestic alternator.

With three alternators each with there own belts and a pulley for a water pump, it would get pretty busy that end on the engine!

Good job i have the 240v travel pack one to use in an emergency like now!

Edited by nipper

Had this with the beta 43 a few times when the woodruff key failed . Probable not the same but while your down there give your pulleys a wobble . Got rid of the travel pack as that was putting the engine under more load when in use. Bunny.

Yes the domestic alternator.

With three alternators each with there own belts and a pulley for a water pump, it would get pretty busy that end on the engine!

Good job i have the 240v travel pack one to use in an emergency like now!

Yes this is definitely one of the advantages of having a Travelpower as well as an inverter and charger

Had this with the beta 43 a few times when the woodruff key failed . Probable not the same but while your down there give your pulleys a wobble . Got rid of the travel pack as that was putting the engine under more load when in use. Bunny.

However this only applies to older engines, allegedly the problem is fixed in later ones like mine. Certainly a splined shaft protrudes beyond the big pulley.

Actually I'm not quite sure what you are saying there. I'm pretty sure that in your engine, the belt for the small engine alternator goes round 3 pulleys, the one on the alternator, the one on the crankshaft, and the one for the water pump. Not sure if you are saying it doesn't! Anyway it might be worth checking at some point since if the engine alternator is removed or the belt breaks, the water pump stops and so you can't use the engine.

Actually I'm not quite sure what you are saying there. I'm pretty sure that in your engine, the belt for the small engine alternator goes round 3 pulleys, the one on the alternator, the one on the crankshaft, and the one for the water pump. Not sure if you are saying it doesn't! Anyway it might be worth checking at some point since if the engine alternator is removed or the belt breaks, the water pump stops and so you can't use the engine.

Yes, i understand nickorman, I'll be having a look tomorrow morning, whilst putting the cocoon back into place. Todays work has left me somewhat knackered.

But you may very well be right, because i now find out that the information i said about the water pump drive was from a salty water engine installation!

Edited by nipper

Yes, i understand nickorman, I'll be having a look tomorrow morning, whilst putting the cocoon back into place. Todays work has left me somewhat knackered.

But you may very well be right, because i now find out that the information i said about the water pump drive was from a salty water engine installation!

It may be worth while tying a spare belt on there if you have one, That way if the iner ones fail you can fit new ones without removing the outer one, I don't of course know what order yours are in but I wouldn't want to strip off the domestic alternator and the travel power if the belt driving the engine alternator and the water pump snapped.

It may be worth while tying a spare belt on there if you have one, That way if the iner ones fail you can fit new ones without removing the outer one, I don't of course know what order yours are in but I wouldn't want to strip off the domestic alternator and the travel power if the belt driving the engine alternator and the water pump snapped.

Certainly on ours it's the inner of the 3. But it's also the one under the least stress so if one replaces them all at the same time, it shouldn't break (FLW!).

I replaced all my belts this year, they were not really in bad shape except for the v belt on the started alternator, it was a little cracked , but not bad.

the other belts i took of were really in good nick, but i changed em anyway!

It rally didn't take that long to take the three off and not that long to put the new ones on, the worst being the starter belt that had to be really stretched over the pulley.

Ok, i put the cocoon back, with the usual struggle, started the engine, then remembered the water pump/ starter alternator belt. Stopped engine and stripped the cocoon out again to have a ganders!

Yes, you are correct nickorman. The starter alternator goes around the water pump pulley, it's quite a short run, hence the difficulty of getting the belt over the pulley in the first place!

Am waiting to hear from CRR about the alternator.

All back in place now and i'm gonna get clear of Cowley Peachy Junction before anything else happens, and make my way up the Uxbridge, to take Samy the cat to the vets! Don't ask! tongue.png

Nipper