ref closing accounts

davidc

Featured Posts

surely if a mod feels justified to lock a thread there sould say why and place their name at the end of the locked thread,

Sometimes they do. Sometimes they don't, there is no obligation for them to do so however.

Sometimes they do. Sometimes they don't, there is no obligation for them to do so however.

there should be, how else are we know if we have crossed the line especially as nothing in that thread seemed to justify locking it.

else we leave the forum open to propaganda from our detractors that we do not allow freedom of speech

Edited by davidc

I was the last person to post in the Locked Ref leaving the forum thread. All I asked was I wondered why it was locked and had wondered the same about a number of threads recently. There were only about 4 posts in that thread so not time for anything naughty to have developed.

It just felt as if I/we were being told not to ask.

Well, there were four on very recently.

Theo usually says this thread has run its course and locks.

DeanS usually messes around interfering and then locks when it gets worse - but he does post to let us know.

PaulC was the chap on the original thread who said to the OP - PM me - we never heard anything else.

...and then there's GoodGurl

Stand by your beds - PaulC is on the thread..

there should be, how else are we know if we have crossed the line especially as nothing in that thread seemed to justify locking it.

else we leave the forum open to propaganda from our detractors that we do not allow freedom of speech

there is nothing in the forum rules and guidelines that say they have to though, OK its arguably the 'right' thing to do but sometimes its obvious why a thread has been locked though perhaps not in these cases I agree.

Sometimes threads get locked with no explanation; sometimes an explanation is offered. This time, none was. In any case, the tech & account support sub-forum area is to discuss specific technical issues, not ponder on the emotions surrounding posting or not. So I'm happy enough the original thread was locked, since it answered the question posed by the OP even if not the subsequent discussion.

Feel free to carry on the discussion of "If I were ............." though, its interesting to hear a variety of views.

Stand by your beds - PaulC is on the thread..

there is nothing in the forum rules and guidelines that say they have to though, OK its arguably the 'right' thing to do but sometimes its obvious why a thread has been locked though perhaps not in these cases I agree.

that's my whole point if it is not clear the mod locking it should say why

that's my whole point if it is not clear the mod locking it should say why

Why? though its locked, it's not like we pay a subscription or a member ship fee and the mods/admin are in some way accountable to us.

I think you need to review the rules then - you are aware this is not a democracy, but an autocracy?

This is true. However after 40 years in education I find learning by experience is a very valuable tool. If a thread is locked and no explanation given then forumites can just do the same over and over again. If the error of their ways is explained some (OK a few) will learn from that and not do it again.

This makes moderation easier, surely to be welcomed.

The site guidelines state "Site crew do not have to provide a reason for any decision made, however where appropriate a reason shall be provided"

The initial thread was locked by myself as I felt some comments were in bad taste. It was hidden by another mod.

The 2nd thread, questioning why the first thread was locked without explanation, was locked by myself.

This thread is the 3rd thread, demanding mods to explain their actions. I'm locking it now.

I'd encourage all to read the site owners Announcement here. CWDF aims to promote a friendly forum, where boating can be discussed, and people are respected.

Short message from the sites owner....

I am not quite sure why this has be come an issue, a thread was created by a member asking about ending there account with the site, this was acted on by the moderation team and as the thread had gone off topic with comments that I would agree where both inappropriate in and in bad taste, the thread was locked and then hidden.

This is quite clearly in line with the site rules, in keeping with the way the site is run, as well as in my mine a sensible and correct action to be taken.

If members have an issue with this I am quite happy to talk over it with these individuals, and if this does not satisfactorily answer the questions I am not against putting it to public debate. However at the same time I do not expect public questioning and or heckling of the site staff over what is a simple and routine operation.

I can be PM'ed by the normal routes, or by clicking on this link; PM the Site Owner

Daniel