Historic 1963 film clips shown on BBC

mykaskin

Featured Posts

I reckon that the disused canal at round about 1 minute in is probably the Wendover Arm with the original A41 bridge in place before it was lowered to a culvert.

Am I right?

Did you see the next clip Alan (Jam Ole Run 2008) about 5 min 30 - Stanton getting front end stuck at Hillmorton!!

Did you see the next clip Alan (Jam Ole Run 2008) about 5 min 30 - Stanton getting front end stuck at Hillmorton!!

Yes, I was talking to Laura about that incident only yesterday at the HNBC social.

That was at the top locks, I think, although I'm told Peter thinks Stanton has probably also hung in a bottom lock there.

I now know of at least two other full length Grand Union motors that have hung from gates descending Hillmorton, so it seems these locks are not now ideally set up for these boats, (or, of course you could argue the boats are not well set up for how those locks now are....).

My other question about this film is that it seems to be from the time the Bargee was filmed, and the same pair Banstead and Bellepheron appears very smartly presented.

I'm sure I have seen it recorded who's pair it actually was, (Hemel and Ronnie of course not actually being real boatmen!), but I can't now remember. Does anybody know who the family is, please?

Is the load of barrels up through Stoke Bruerne a genuine traffic still running in that year, or is fact just part of the boats bein filmed with an interesting load?

What a blast from the past! The voice of Raymond Baxter, an Austin Westminster, and a comment about "Britain's overcrowded roads" which, in view of the light traffic on the accompanying bit of film, must make some modern motorists weep.

The family is just as well turned out as the boats - I wonder if they always were, or whether the two little boys had been specially scrubbed up for the cameras.

I reckon that the disused canal at round about 1 minute in is probably the Wendover Arm with the original A41 bridge in place before it was lowered to a culvert.

Am I right?

That's Buckland Wharf, with the New Inn visible to the right of the bridge (still a pub back then). It's certainly the old A41, but I do not recall it ever being culverted at that point though I could be wrong, it's been some time since I was that way. The roadway was never raised so no impediment to traffic coming down the hill from Tring. A fare stage on the 301, as was The Bell at Aston Clinton.

Yes, I was talking to Laura about that incident only yesterday at the HNBC social.

That was at the top locks, I think, although I'm told Peter thinks Stanton has probably also hung in a bottom lock there.

I now know of at least two other full length Grand Union motors that have hung from gates descending Hillmorton, so it seems these locks are not now ideally set up for these boats, (or, of course you could argue the boats are not well set up for how those locks now are....).

My other question about this film is that it seems to be from the time the Bargee was filmed, and the same pair Banstead and Bellepheron appears very smartly presented.

I'm sure I have seen it recorded who's pair it actually was, (Hemel and Ronnie of course not actually being real boatmen!), but I can't now remember. Does anybody know who the family is, please?

Is the load of barrels up through Stoke Bruerne a genuine traffic still running in that year, or is fact just part of the boats bein filmed with an interesting load?

i am not sure who's boats were used, but from recollectiion, it was Joe Safe who did most of the boat manouvering.

Didn't those "Water Bus's" go, and the crew were so smartly turned out. BW had got it right in the odd thing they did.

Although he had his own trip boat, I seem to remember Jack James (jnr) sometimes crewing the Zoo buses in the 1960's, and our captain ribbing him for the smart "costume" he was wearing.

Some canal shots from 1963, includes boats moored at Stoke Bruerne, Horse boating, BWB tugs on the Regents at Islington, and Waterbus Zoo trips from Little Venice. It also includes a shot of Three Bridges, Hanwell.

Much of this is from the Rank "Look at life" series called "Where no tide flows" obtainable on DVD.

But I believe they are related, Cousins or second cousins I think.

First cousins - in fact there was a third cousin called Ron who emigrated to Australia. The Ron who appeared in this film is sadly no longer with us, having died ten years ago

Ron Hough (not the painter)

Yes he spent most of the filming time in the cabin of Banstead " advising" Harry Corbett what & when to do. I remember the head shaking when HC asked which way should he"drive" it, appears Ronnie Barker "got the hang of it" according to Ron better than H C