Epimastic MT

Featured Posts

I've just had Cygnet's hull surveyed, and Mike Carter, the surveyor, recommended I use Epimastic MT below the waterline (including the bottom, which has never been painted). Apparently this will give protection even if applied in less than ideal conditions, ie without taking back to bare metal, (which is simply impractical in present circumstances), and in damp conditions (MT stands for Moisture Tolerant).

However, I've found a thread on the DBA forums which seems to imply that this product was discontinued last year. Has anyone used it recently, and where did you get it from?

I did a search on the new improved forum search facility, but the latest mention is early 2014.

And if it has been discontinued, has anyone any suggestions for something which will do the same?

Thanks

Mac

Edited by Mac of Cygnet

I've just had Cygnet's hull surveyed, and Mike Carter, the surveyor, recommended I use Epimastic MT below the waterline (including the bottom, which has never been painted). Apparently this will give protection even if applied in less than ideal conditions, ie without taking back to bare metal, (which is simply impractical in present circumstances), and in damp conditions (MT stands for Moisture Tolerant).

However, I've found a thread on the DBA forums which seems to imply that this product was discontinued last year. Has anyone used it recently, and where did you get it from?

I did a search on the new improved forum search facility, but the latest mention is early 2014.

And if it has been discontinued, has anyone any suggestions for something which will do the same?

Thanks

Mac

Bought some earlier this year from Spencers Coatings, Aberdeen.

George ex nb Alton retired

Will it need grit blasting?

A two pack high build surface tolerant coal tar epoxy that combines the toughness, abrasion resistance and chemical resistance of a high performance epoxy resin with the excellent water resistance of coal tar. Epimastic MT has the benefit of being moisture tolerant (can be applied to damp substrates), surface tolerant (non immersed steelwork does not require abrasive blast cleaning), excellent water resistance, high build application (reduces application costs) and it meets the performance requirements of BS 5493 KF3.

Ray

Thanks both. Epimastic MT is no longer listed on the Spencer Coatings site, so rumours of its demise are well-founded. It was exactly because of the properties listed by Ray that it was recommended - the boat is not being grit blasted.

Could you contact Epimastic suppliers and see if they make another similar paint.

Neil

• 2 years later...

Resurrecting this thread because blacking is due again.  I don't think Epimastic MT is available anywhere now, and it and other coal tar products are to be banned from Jan 2019.  http://www.canalstore.co.uk/news/coal-tar-products-to-be-banned-from-jan-2019/  The linked page recommends Rylex as a replacement which can be overcoated on Epimastic.   It's not a two-pack like Epimastic, and no doubt like all replacements for banned products it will be inferior, but has anyone any experience or recommendations?

Thanks.

I found myself in a similar situation earlier this year - overcoating a coal tar epoxy with something else. 

I spoke to Jotun and International and received the response below. I didn't as regarding moisture tolerance unfortunately.  I went for Jotun 87 in the end. You can get it in 'winter grade', because the normal 87 takes more than a week to cure. 

Full thread is here: 

Take a look at: Sherwin- Williams Duraplate 301w Primer. A 2part epoxy that seems to stick to anything can be applied in virtually any moisture conditions and be immersed in 48 hours.Hardens fully after 5 days.Apparently for use on oil rigs etc. Then   a S-W 2part top coat, colour of your choice. 

Arrange a mortgage before hand though.

10 hours ago, billh said:

Take a look at: Sherwin- Williams Duraplate 301w Primer. A 2part epoxy that seems to stick to anything can be applied in virtually any moisture conditions and be immersed in 48 hours.Hardens fully after 5 days.Apparently for use on oil rigs etc. Then   a S-W 2part top coat, colour of your choice. 

Arrange a mortgage before hand though.

A supplier at random: https://www.promain.co.uk/sherwin-williams-dura-plate-301w-surface-tolerant.html

Sherwin - Williams paint is being used on the Iron bridge at the moment, not sure which variety of paint though. I used Jotamastic 87 on our boat in early spring, its supposed to be surface tolerant and in clear water it looks to be perfect after a summers wear and tear- as it should - but black bitumastic as used in the olden days could often peel on the waterline. In fact I have used bitumastic above the waterline and it has started to come off where it was put on over the Jotamastic to make a straight edge.