MMMMarmite recipies

metanoia

Featured Posts

Apologies if you've done this before - but after Starcoaster's suggestion of adding Marmite to noodles in lieu of the chemical sachet, got a taste for it again.

What are your favourite Marmite recipes (excluding Nigella's Marmite spaghetti, of course)?

marmite on cheese on buttered toast, under the grill for a minute.

When I worked in the rainforest in Burma I stayed in the company's log cabin camp, which had a small canteen operated by charming young girls from the local village who spoke no English. We made up our own lunch packs at breakfast time using imported western foods.

I was the new manager and on the first day I took out my jar of marmite and made up a sandwich of cheese, sliced hard-boiled egg, tomatoes, sliced raw onions, marmite and mayonnaise on freshly baked white buttered bread, with a good sprinkling of pepper. I noticed a girl watching me intently. After I had packed my sandwich she came and gently took the marmite away from me with a smile.

The next day a complete sandwich made according to my exact specification was waiting at my table. I thanked the girl with the usual hands together and a little bow. It made her day and she made my sandwich for the next 2 years.

What lovely unspoilt people.

marmite on cheese on buttered toast, under the grill for a minute.

When I worked in the rainforest in Burma I stayed in the company's log cabin camp, which had a small canteen operated by charming young girls from the local village who spoke no English. We made up our own lunch packs at breakfast time using imported western foods.

I was the new manager and on the first day I took out my jar of marmite and made up a sandwich of cheese, sliced hard-boiled egg, tomatoes, sliced raw onions, marmite and mayonnaise on freshly baked white buttered bread, with a good sprinkling of pepper. I noticed a girl watching me intently. After I had packed my sandwich she came and gently took the marmite away from me with a smile.

The next day a complete sandwich made according to my exact specification was waiting at my table. I thanked the girl with the usual hands together and a little bow. It made her day and she made my sandwich for the next 2 years.

What lovely unspoilt people.

AAAh - sounds wonderful.... both the experience and the sandwich.

Truly lovely people - AND they appreciate Marmite! - lovely (but possibly no longer unspoilt?) people. That's what we and "progress" do to the world, sadly).

yes marmite and cheese on toast also marmite chocolates

Marmite CHOCOLATES? I REALLY hope that's dark chocolate? And how?

Agree with the toast and cheese thing but have you had a poached egg on buttered Marmite toast? Looking forward to breakfast already.............

My mum used to make cheese and Marmite wheels.

You’ll need:

• ¾ cup of self raising flour
• 2 tbl spoons of butter
• 1 tsp of sugar
• 3 tbl spoons of milk (add accordingly)
• 3 tbl spoons of marmite
• ½ cup of cheese

Here’s how:

1. Preheat over to 200⁰Celcius
  2. Place flour and sugar into a medium bowl and mix
  3. Add butter and mix with fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs
  4. Slowly add milk, to make soft, sticky dough. Add more flour if still too sticky
  5. Sprinkle flour using shaker over the chopping board. Cover hands with flour and roll mixture into dough ball. Knead lightly on flour surface.
  6. Using rolling pin, roll out dough into a rectangle shape, roughly ½ inch thick.
  7. Spread on marmite evenly and sprinkle grated cheese on top.
  8. Roll tightly and cut into even rolls, place rolls face up on greased tin to bake.
  9. Bake for approximately 20 minutes.

But Vegemite isn't a patch on our good old Marmite. I have done extensive trials.

Assume you hadn't let them get their hands on yours to give them a taste for the "real thing"?

no, but a fat greedy Canadian 'borrowed' my marmite at breakfast in an Albanian company guest house, thinking it was chocolate spread. B*st*rd took a full dessert spoonful and put it straight in his gob. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry as he spluttered and spat it out across the table.

• 3 weeks later...

Peanut butter and Marmite on toast.

As a kid all our mums used to give us this. As an adult whenever I mention it I get looks of askance and comments like 'YUK'. But it's DELICIOUS, works really well!!!

We prefer to do this with soft cheese, laughing cow is good, especially the blue one. It looks dramatic too.

..............Dave