FOA Sea Dog

Lmcgrath87

Featured Posts

Here's a recipe to try when you can't get that Royco mix. It's owned by Masterfoods (Americans?) but I believe made in South Africa. You'll find loads of bobotie recipes from the 'Net. Here's "mine" (and it's really quite easy)(NOT for vegetarians):

500g minced beed (get the good stuff)

3 eggs (chicken, not dinosaurs'!)

50g raisins

2 tablespoons mango chutney (Mrs Balls is easily found)

1 large chopped onion

250ml whole milk

curry powder/paste

Mix the raisins (and contents of packet, or chuck in some curry powder/paste) with 50ml water and 200ml milk

Fry the onion, add the minced beef and fry that too.

Mix the raisins+water+milk sludge into the frying pan, add the chutney, simmer for 10 minutes. Put it into a casserole dish (fairly shallow square-sided perhaps).

Bung in oven 180 Centigrade 30-40 minutes, put Aluminium foil over the dish.

The top layer goes like this: you beat the eggs + 50ml milk, sprinkle in some black pepper, and you pour this liquidy mess over what's at the bottom of the casserole dish - during the last 10 minutes.

During all this you should have gotten some yellow rice ready, serve the bobotie with this rice and chutney. Perhaps one of those Uncle Ben's curry-flavoured rices?

Leave the casserole dish for 15 minutes to rest after pulling it out of the oven.

During the cooking make sure you have soaked your liver in an agreeable South African Chenin blanc.

• Greenie 1

The most important part of the whole cooking process is the soaking of the liver.

This must be adhered to.

I started that last night and I'm away at the moment so the actual cooking is a while away. How's that for conscientious cheffing? ;)

Actually, I figured a little Argentine Malbec would add an interesting Latin dimension to the dish, so I'm a little off piste here!

I'd say! Greenie given to the messenger and not to the sender!

I don't know if the recipe is any good yet Foxy! I gave that greenie cos posting it here for me was an act of kindness.

Tell you what, I'll give you one here (if you'll pardon the expression), but you'll have to hand it in to the nearest police canteen if I make the dish and don't enjoy it! ;)