Surviving winter article and slow cookers

Dave_P

Featured Posts

As I put in another post, slow cookers are very inefficient, they have no heat insulation and they get as hot on the outside as they do on the inside, If they were insulated you could probably get away with half the power, but people see them as low wattage so it doesn't matter, the fact they are on for hours doesn't get taken into account.

At 14p per kilowatt hour, a 150w slow cooker will use 21p worth of electricity over 10 hours on a shoreline. However, that slightly misses the point, which is that when cruising, a slow cooker meal can be prepared before casting off and will be ready to eat seconds after mooring, and that the prolonged cooking process enables very cheap cuts of meat to be used.

Dave_P, on 26 Nov 2015 - 7:37 PM, said:

If a typical slow cookers uses 150w but takes 10hrs to cook something, that's the same as running a 1500w fan heater for an hour.

Erm, no. Not really. In much the same way as my car can do 150km/h for ten hours. A somewhat different arrangement will be needed to do 1500km/h for an hour, such as the Bloodhound SSC which is in its fifth year of development in effort to better the land speed record.

Not the same at all. Not by a long stretch.

When we boated Jan would often prepare something, wack it in the slow cooker and when we stopped of an evening tea was ready.

No gas used, any energy used was generated as we went along.

Point of order M'Lud.

No it wasn't. You can't 'generate' energy, it was stored in the fuel you purchased. You just changed its state as you went along.

(Unless you have a nuclear reactor on your boat, in which case I'm still not sure that can be classed as 'generating' energy!)

Erm, no. Not really. In much the same way as my car can do 150km/h for ten hours. A somewhat different arrangement will be needed to do 1500km/h for an hour, such as the Bloodhound SSC which is in its fifth year of development in effort to better the land speed record.

That is fine if you want dinner as soon as you moor up. I want to stop at 4pm and not eat until after 7 pm that would take about 18ah out of my battery, thats almost 50% of what I normally use between recharging, I feel sure if it was insulated then I could get away with well under half that. I have taken the cooker home to try lagging it over the winter but she has started using it at home so that.s put that job back a bit.

As I put in another post, slow cookers are very inefficient, they have no heat insulation and they get as hot on the outside as they do on the inside, If they were insulated you could probably get away with half the power, but people see them as low wattage so it doesn't matter, the fact they are on for hours doesn't get taken into account.

That depends on who's doing the accounting. On my boat the slow cooker only gets used on shore power or when I'm on the move and the alternator is charging. I always end up with a fully charged battery bank and a delicious hot meal. They're brilliant for single handers. At the end of a knackering day all you have to do is serve up. I've got the small cheap one From Argos. Low power draw (about 70w I think), cost a tenner and cooks a meal in about 5 hours.

Point of order M'Lud.

No it wasn't. You can't 'generate' energy, it was stored in the fuel you purchased. You just changed its state as you went along.

(Unless you have a nuclear reactor on your boat, in which case I'm still not sure that can be classed as 'generating' energy!)

More like a point of pedantry...

Edited by blackrose

Point of order M'Lud.

No it wasn't. You can't 'generate' energy, it was stored in the fuel you purchased. You just changed its state as you went along.(Unless you have a nuclear reactor on your boat, in which case I'm still not sure that can be classed as 'generating' energy!)

I don't use this as a response very often but will make an exception for you.

:tired:

We wouldn't want people struggling to understand science to be misled or confused about basic principles, would we?

Or maybe you would.

Or maybe I don't actually think they're struggling to understand and aren't confused at all? So he made the mistake of saying generating energy instead of generating electricity. Big deal! Why do you feel the need to pick apart what others say and patronise them with your pedantry?

Edited by blackrose