Help needed - Boat Inn, Coseley

Daniel001

Featured Posts

Hi, Im trying to determine whether the Boat Inn Public House on the corner of Havacre Lane & Biddings Lane come first or the Canal that runs adjacent to it. The canal & river trust are adamant the canal was there first but can offer no genuine argument to support this statement. Instead they are trying to bamboozle me with a concuction of different stories that differ vastly. If anyone has any information on this issue or on how this section of canal was constructed (given the difference in ground levels) can you please contact me ASAP. It would be most appreciated. Thank you.

the internet says the boat inn was built in the 1820's, and books say coseley tunnel was opened in 1837 with "the approaches built as early as 1829". dunno if its true, you no what the intranets like

looks like it was pulled down in 2008 and google street view shows the ground for sale

Edited by harry peterson

Hi, Im trying to determine whether the Boat Inn Public House on the corner of Havacre Lane & Biddings Lane come first or the Canal that runs adjacent to it. The canal & river trust are adamant the canal was there first but can offer no genuine argument to support this statement. Instead they are trying to bamboozle me with a concuction of different stories that differ vastly. If anyone has any information on this issue or on how this section of canal was constructed (given the difference in ground levels) can you please contact me ASAP. It would be most appreciated. Thank you.

Am fascinated that CRT are trying to bamboozle you over a trivial point of information, is their more to this story?

Tim

• Greenie 1

Harry Peterson: thanks for your message. I'm familiar with what you have mentioned however C&RT have stated this section of the canal was built back in the 1700s and so pre dates the Boat Inn.

Tim Lewis: What is your point?

X ALAN W: Hi mate, thanks for your message.

The 1700s version of the canal went round the loop via wednesbury oak, the short-cut including coseley tunnel and the bit past the location you mention was surely built much later, in the 1820s as part of the upgrading. The old bit came close at what is now Deepfields Jn but didn't go past the road junction you mention.

CRT are concerned with the canal system as it stands, I don't think they are expert in the history of it.

Hi Nicknorman, thanks for your message. This is what CRT are telling me. (In actual fact it's the third different statement they have made in response to this issue). I have got some images with their email but I'm unsure if I'm able to upload them to here!

This is what CRT are stating:

"The research has shown that the part of the canal adjoining the Boat Inn in Deepfields, Coseley was in fact, completed in 1794, and not the 1830s- please see the first attachment, which is an extract from a Historical Map of the Birmingham Canals. As you will see, the relevant section has been highlighted on the extract, and it was only the Coseley Tunnel which was built in the 1830s.

The next attachment is a copy of an 1896 survey plan of this section of the canal. You will see that, to the south of Hill Bridge, there is written R.P. No.50. This is a reference to entry number 50 in the Roll of Rents Payable for the Birmingham Canal Navigation, and I attach an extract from that Roll. This shows that the Canal Company paid a rent for land near Hill Bridge for spoil (i.e. the matter which was dug out when the canal was formed in the late 18th century)- from the survey plan, this seems to include land which now forms part of your property.

On the land beside the canal, including what is now the former site of the Boat Inn, a foundry was established 1826. This is stated in the extract from a History of the Deepfields Site, which I also attach. You will note that the original Boat Inn building was immediately adjacent to canal, as is shown on the sketch plan in the extract, rather than the later building which was set back towards Havacre Lane.

Going back to the extract from the Roll of Rents Payable, the final page, which is in fact a continuation of the same page of the ledger, shows that the rent which the Canal Company was paying was reduced in 1813, and it is stated that the spoil is now occupied by a small Iron Work. The rent would have been reduced when the land was built on, in the construction of the foundry. It would appear that a wall would then have been constructed between the land occupied by the foundry and the canal towpath, to keep the spoil from falling back onto the towpath.

From the above, it would appear that a wall separating the canal from the Boat Inn would not have been needed as part of the construction of the canal at this point in the late 18th century, and that such a wall was only built later when the land adjoining the canal was built on, which was in the 1820s.

I'm too confused to suggest anything more! It sounds as though there were 2 different sites for the inn which perhaps explains the confusion! You should be able to post images - at the bottom right of the reply window there is a button marked "more reply options" which should cause more buttons to appear at the bottom, allowing you to attach files such as images.

From the above, it would appear that a wall separating the canal from the Boat Inn would not have been needed as part of the construction of the canal at this point in the late 18th century, and that such a wall was only built later when the land adjoining the canal was built on, which was in the 1820s.

So, this is a boundary dispute?

Richard

Hi, these are the images related to my earlier post from CRTpost-25508-0-45158800-1448534968_thumb.jpegpost-25508-0-41217900-1448534985_thumb.jpegpost-25508-0-80169300-1448535056_thumb.pngpost-25508-0-56600200-1448535078_thumb.jpegpost-25508-0-35966500-1448535096_thumb.jpegpost-25508-0-31698000-1448535114_thumb.jpegpost-25508-0-12989500-1448535129_thumb.jpeg

Hi Ritchard, Dudley council are stating a retaining wall separating the former site of the Bulls Head and the canal tow path is in need of repair. I have asked several different people regarding ownership of the wall and they all seem to state that CRT and before them British Waterways owned this wall however CRT (presumably due to the cost of repairing this wall) are not having any of it and are instead adamant I fix/repair it.

Hi Nicknorman, I'm confused aswell. This is the third different version of the site and quiet frankly none of it seems to make any sense!

Hi Rithard, Dudley council are stating a retaining wall separating the former site of the Bulls Head and the canal tow path is in need of repair. I have asked several different people regarding ownership of the wall and they all seem to state that CRT and before them British Waterways owned this wall however CRT (presumably due to the cost of repairing this wall) are not having any of it and are instead adamant I fix/repair it.

That explains it. I wondered why such an obscure and seemingly trivial question popped up. If it relates to who pays to fix a wall, it makes a lot more sense

Do you know which book that 'History of The Deepfields Site' comes from?

Richard

Hi Ritchard, Dudley council are stating a retaining wall separating the former site of the Bulls Head and the canal tow path is in need of repair. I have asked several different people regarding ownership of the wall and they all seem to state that CRT and before them British Waterways owned this wall however CRT (presumably due to the cost of repairing this wall) are not having any of it and are instead adamant I fix/repair it.

Hi Nicknorman, I'm confused aswell. This is the third different version of the site and quiet frankly none of it seems to make any sense!

I can understand your concern, thats a substantial retaining wall. It might be helpful to contact Banks' brewery and see if they had some sort of communication with BW/BCN in the past in reference to the wall and rights/ownership of it.

If this is the bit of wall I think it is, the steps and a substail part of the wall are a new feature installed in the 1980's, before that we use to put a ladder up, to get into the Pub back yard. So the brewery, who install the said steps effectively took ownership of the wall by doing substantial alterations to it. I will bet the brewery did not ask to make a connection to the towpath.

--

cheers Ian Mac

http://www.sedgleylocalhistory.org.uk/sptlght/boat.asp

boatpub.jpg

Richard

If this is the bit of wall I think it is, the steps and a substail part of the wall are a new feature installed in the 1980's, before that we use to put a ladder up, to get into the Pub back yard. So the brewery, who install the said steps effectively took ownership of the wall by doing substantial alterations to it. I will bet the brewery did not ask to make a connection to the towpath.

--

cheers Ian Mac

These steps?

591134769_7d728f7700_b.jpgThe Boat Inn Coseley by Andrew Denny, on Flickr

Richard

Here's a model of it!

http://www.ogaugemodelbuildings.com/#/the-boat-inn-coseley-dudley/4580680749

And some history: http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/ENG-BLACK-COUNTRY/2003-01/1043664109

Some nice stuff on page 28 of this: http://www.longpull.co.uk/HBCPdownloads/HBCP%20Sedgley%202.pdf

Those are the correct steps and pub, however I can't remember whos beer its was, all I can remember is that it was worth the effort of getting the ladder up as it was a good pint of mild. It made a welcome change when the steps were installed. There was another good pub up towards Bradley works on a hump back bridge before the dredging tip. Thats been gone at least 15 yrs :-(