TylerWilson V M.CHristian

The Lockie

Featured Posts

I remember reading somewhere that both these shells are from the same builder. The Christian shell being the budget version.

Question is anyone know what they miss out on the budget version?? Is it steel quality or gaps between framings bracngs etc?? Or something else... Would like to know the differences in spec if anyone has that into

TIA

JohnO

This for the replies.....nice website for TylerWilson but nothing for the M Christian builds

If you phone Tim or Jonathan, they'll tell you exactly what the differences are. Their numbers are on the website, and are both very approachable.

Our boat is a Mike Christian shell. We love it, and it gets lots of positive comments from people about its lines.

We've never been a fan of (fake) rivets on modern boats, so very happy with it. Also you get a shute down to the weedhatch, so it's much safer, as you couldn't flood your engine bilges.

Our boat is a Mike Christian shell. We love it, and it gets lots of positive comments from people about its lines.

We've never been a fan of (fake) rivets on modern boats, so very happy with it. Also you get a shute down to the weedhatch, so it's much safer, as you couldn't flood your engine bilges.

They do that on their Tyler Wilson shells as well.

Nothing fake on mine, Tyler Wilson, Josher style shell. wink.png

If you phone Tim or Jonathan, they'll tell you exactly what the differences are. Their numbers are on the website, and are both very approachable.

I agree Tim and Jonathon are both very approachable, we have just started our fourth shell from them, a mixture of both types.

Jonathons have a few more bells, whistles & curves, you pay more if that's what you want.

They are all built to the same great standard using the same steel.

Nick

What is a shute(chute) ?

Ian.

It means that the space above the weed hatch is enclosed right up to the stern deck, so I you failed to secure the weed hatch properly the worst that could happen is that small volume (pretty much the same area as the weed hatch) could fill up with water. As opposed to a normal setup whereby the weed hatch opens into the boat's internals and could thus sink the boat if it leaked.

They do that on their Tyler Wilson shells as well.

Nothing fake on mine, Tyler Wilson, Josher style shell. wink.png

Spell-check....chute.

My personal preference is not to have rivets on new boats. Doesn't matter to me whether they're fake or not. I wasn't saying yours are.

Personally if I buy a new boat I am happy for it to look new, if I buy an old boat, I'm happy with rivets.

I've owned quite a few classic cars, MGs, Rileys, Jensens. I've owned modern sports cars, TVR and Lotus, but I would never buy a new Morgan. A mate had one at great expense, and everything rattled. Fine on a 60/70 year old car, but brand new, no thanks.

Spell-check....chute.

My personal preference is not to have rivets on new boats. Doesn't matter to me whether they're fake or not. I wasn't saying yours are.

Personally if I buy a new boat I am happy for it to look new, if I buy an old boat, I'm happy with rivets.

I've owned quite a few classic cars, MGs, Rileys, Jensens. I've owned modern sports cars, TVR and Lotus, but I would never buy a new Morgan. A mate had one at great expense, and everything rattled. Fine on a 60/70 year old car, but brand new, no thanks.

Mine are not fake... because I do not have any. tongue.png

Even the bow is not 'fake' as they do not sell it as a Josher but Styled on a Josher.

ps. if you want a true Josher, they will do it but six years ago it was in the region of £6,000 ++ extra wacko.png

So we didn't bother.

Agreed. but is as near as damn it. smile.png

As I understand it, it can be 'fun' trying to get the steel to bend in two different directions at once and is not for the feint hearted.

I understood the modern copy of a " Josher" type bow was constructed of a series of steel strips curved/ bent/angled & welded up the welds being covered by the guard irons ( rubbing strips) & not a single sheet of steel pulled around to the stem post.

It is and that is why it can be 'fun', Jonathan said that it has to be 'part welded' before the final weld and the steel 'planks' can spring apart during the process.

Mine is in the 'Josher style' and from single sheets and as said a lot cheaper.