Magnetic Attraction

system 4-50

Featured Posts

Is there anything that would persuade you to go on your boat to somewhere that you do not normally visit?

A very cheap diesel outlet?

A new stately home?

A new museum?

A new fairground?

I'm thinking basically of some new feature that could be used to encourage boaters to visit underused parts of the system. For arguments sake, assume that the feature could be built with generous funds.

Any ideas?

Just name those underused parts of the system. I'll go there just because of THAT!

There used to be an organisation called IWA.

They held rallies at far flung, under utilised bits of the network under threat.

I wonder what ever happened to that?

When I plan a trip it's to go somewhere I've not been before or for a long while, or because there's a rally "That Way" so I go "This Way"

There used to be an organisation called IWA.

They held rallies at far flung, under utilised bits of the network under threat.

I wonder what ever happened to that?

When I plan a trip it's to go somewhere I've not been before or for a long while, or because there's a rally "That Way" so I go "This Way"

As said in the late 50's & all through the 60's the National rally was chosen to a part of a waterway that was i danger of closure or was in an under used or difficult to navigate, the boats attending often had struggle to reach the rally site, but the majority succeeded, in those days it was more or less a given that you might need plywood or wriggly tin sheets to slow down or stop gate leaks; ash to wrack various leaks "Tirfor" to pull boat off various junk; pull fallen trees out of the way etc. i guess in those days it was more a challenge/triumph over adversity mind set, rather than today's if you have a problem call out C&rt to help fix the problem. mind the charges to boat were some what cheaper, but in general the trend was if a problem arose it was a DIY cure/fix by the boater. Not saying either way is better/worse just a changed mindset in that in those days most boaters were canal enthusiasts rather than folk using boats as a home or not knowing or understanding the finer points of canal workings & construction.Not finger pointing just stating the way it was as I knew it way back & the way it appears to me now.Times, circumstances, have changed

Is there anything that would persuade you to go on your boat to somewhere that you do not normally visit?

A very cheap diesel outlet?

A new stately home?

A new museum?

A new fairground?

I'm thinking basically of some new feature that could be used to encourage boaters to visit underused parts of the system. For arguments sake, assume that the feature could be built with generous funds.

Any ideas?

Legs 11 done wonders for Birmingham.

:)

As said in the late 50's & all through the 60's the National rally was chosen to a part of a waterway that was i danger of closure or was in an under used or difficult to navigate, the boats attending often had struggle to reach the rally site, but the majority succeeded, in those days it was more or less a given that you might need plywood or wriggly tin sheets to slow down or stop gate leaks; ash to wrack various leaks "Tirfor" to pull boat off various junk; pull fallen trees out of the way etc. i guess in those days it was more a challenge/triumph over adversity mind set, rather than today's if you have a problem call out C&rt to help fix the problem. mind the charges to boat were some what cheaper, but in general the trend was if a problem arose it was a DIY cure/fix by the boater. Not saying either way is better/worse just a changed mindset in that in those days most boaters were canal enthusiasts rather than folk using boats as a home or not knowing or understanding the finer points of canal workings & construction.Not finger pointing just stating the way it was as I knew it way back & the way it appears to me now.Times, circumstances, have changed

All very true !!! The boats have altered a lot as well, there used to be a much more "Can Do/DIY" in that department as well.....shiny expensive boats with all the comforts of home were quite rare

I tried that, winched up a pipe which had been torn from a bridge and was blocking the bottom of the Rushall flight.

It contained a live 25,000 volt cable which earthed and caused a fire.

That was a pioneering step too far.

Anywhere where there are:-

• Safe overnight moorings
  • Quiet ditto
  • Reasonable depth of water
  • Locks that are operable
  • No rubbish in every bridge hole
  • Folks not throwing bricks / stone from bridges
  • Pleasant scenery - occasionally

It's years since we did the curley wyrley - but now afraid so to do

Anywhere where there are:-

• Safe overnight moorings
  • Quiet ditto
  • Reasonable depth of water
  • Locks that are operable
  • No rubbish in every bridge hole
  • Folks not throwing bricks / stone from bridges
  • Pleasant scenery - occasionally
It's years since we did the curley wyrley - but now afraid so to do

That's a shame, the Curley Wurley is a lot better than it used to be.

That's a shame, the Curley Wurley is a lot better than it used to be.

Yes, although we picked up something at most bridgeholes, and in some other parts, it was all easily removed- and the variety was hilarious.

I hope some poor lass didn't get cold when she lost her sparkly bra in the cut!

Yes, although we picked up something at most bridgeholes, and in some other parts, it was all easily removed- and the variety was hilarious.

I hope some poor lass didn't get cold when she lost her sparkly bra in the cut!

Best technique is to hit neutral just before the stern gets to the bridgehole. That said, we didn't do that the last couple of times we did it and didn't get much at all. I believe this year's BCN challenge was bad for debris for some reason.

Worst thing we've had on the BCN was a steel-cored washing line complete with a selection of undies, but that was on the old mainline near the BCLM. It's just the luck of the draw!

Edited by nicknorman

I tried that, winched up a pipe which had been torn from a bridge and was blocking the bottom of the Rushall flight.

It contained a live 25,000 volt cable which earthed and caused a fire.

That was a pioneering step too far.

You're lucky it never killed you ohmy.png

Fun, each year for the past few years the BCNS has organised two explorer cruises on the BCN to visit some of those less used parts and they have all been fully subscribed, maybe that is whats needed, a hand holder to be with boaters who are not happy doing little used parts of the waterways.

It is the BCN that I would like to see popularised, though the single best improvement, relocating a significant percentage of the location population to a place matching their lack of civilisation, is not easy to achieve.

As long as you don't try to move them to Bearwood...

Edited by The Bearwood Boster