The Anchor Inn Needs Your Help

Loafer

Featured Posts

Nothing damages a pub's reputation more severely than closing early when there are no customers. Any customer turning up expecting to get a drink during normal opening hours and finding it all locked up, learns pretty quickly not to go back.

Agreed. I can't help her there. Sometimes she gets a bit tired. Can't win that one, but I've only seen it closed mysteriously on one occasion. I'm only guessing that there COULD have been other occasions. Age presents its own problems of course, and the answer 'she should pass the pub on' or similar, won't work here. It's also her home, along with that of her daughter.

All she's asked (well I suggested it) is that I tell the forum that she's not closed it down.

I've been there and found it unexpectedly closed. I find this infuriating beyond all reason.

I can't remember if there is a sign on the door giving opening hours and it was closed when the sign says 'open', or whether it was just shut during normal trading times.

Is there a sign on the door explaining the restricted winter opening times? If not, this is probably the problem not the ecanals app. In fact I'd say even if there IS a sign up, punters rocking up during conventional pub opening hours and finding it closed, even though there is a sign on the door, are unlikely to take a note of the odd times. Far more likely to take a note not to ever bother going again as they can't trust the place to be open when pubs are supposed to be open.

Totally understand the reasons for limited opening, but its a harsh commercial world out there and Olive does herself no favours IMO.

She has opening hours in both front windows now, as recommended by a few, last year. It is indeed a harsh world, but she's battling on valiantly in a world where too many pubs are closing because of dwindling numbers of pub goers.

At least she's trying to stay open. Correcting the canal app can only improve it a bit for her.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on that. As you possibly know, I have my own scoring system for pubs, detailed last year and this on these forums, and if I were to score the Anchor on the same basis it would come out at 1+3+6=10 out of 20 - not the lowest I've experienced, but not enough for me to go back unless it improves.

No, I didn't know. Can you point me to it?

It's not likely to improve, sadly. Well, not sadly, I like it the way it is! cheers.gif

Edited by Loafer

Organise the banter and I am sure the Anchors mobile catering team will turn up.

That'll be Elaine then!

I'll ask her next time she's open (When's that, again?frusty.gif ) if she's interested.

Trouble is, it'd have to be before the spring, 'cos we're never around after that.

If I want a meal, I go to a restaurant. If I want a real pint in a real old pub, I go to a real old pub.

Well said that man!

I get really, really pizzed orf when blogs & etc talk in detail about the food in a pub and then, when it comes to the beer, say something like 'It was a nice pint'

Nothing damages a pub's reputation more severely than closing early when there are no customers. Any customer turning up expecting to get a drink during normal opening hours and finding it all locked up, learns pretty quickly not to go back.

Try telling the idiot that runs my local that.

I'll tell you what sort of man he is. Actually I won't bother, just read your signature and you can work it out! cheers.gif

I drink elsewhere now.......

My one and only attempt to visit this beautiful, highly recommended and much loved establishment, was on a sunny Saturday afternoon in the company of my wife and two friends.

The front door was open and the small bar was full of very happy friendly people.

The elderly lady behind the bar watched us enter and approach the bar, before she disappeared somewhere into a back room.

We stood waiting for several minutes.

After a lengthy wait one of the pleasant customers said, "I don't think she's going to serve you".

When I questioned why, the customers indicated that when "she's had enough she just goes. You're wasting your time".

They were correct. I have never returned.

I hope that, and indeed all pubs thrive, but it would be no surprise, based on my experience, if it doesn't.

Rog

My one and only attempt to visit this beautiful, highly recommended and much loved establishment, was on a sunny Saturday afternoon in the company of my wife and two friends.

The front door was open and the small bar was full of very happy friendly people.

The elderly lady behind the bar watched us enter and approach the bar, before she disappeared somewhere into a back room.

We stood waiting for several minutes.

After a lengthy wait one of the pleasant customers said, "I don't think she's going to serve you".

When I questioned why, the customers indicated that when "she's had enough she just goes. You're wasting your time".

They were correct. I have never returned.

I hope that, and indeed all pubs thrive, but it would be no surprise, based on my experience, if it doesn't.

Rog

You're supposed to ring the little bell on the bar. She was probably in the back, tending to her and Elaine's lunch.

Either that, or she didn't like the look of you! (Joke)

You're supposed to ring the little bell on the bar. She was probably in the back, tending to her and Elaine's lunch.

If it doesn't survive, it'll be because she's decided that she's too old. I doubt very much whether it will continue without her.

Now then (whatever THAT means)- talking about a Bantor In The Anchor, I'll consider stepping up to the plate, but I need a show of hands.

That's not necessarily to say that you WILL come, just that you will if you CAN, if the dates, weather, injuries, trees down, canal closed, you had a puncture, etc, make it feasible.

THEN I can ask Olive if she'll lay summat on.

It's a small pub - I doubt she's going to host a huge event - and there's positively NO bad language allowed in there!

Takers please, no names taken. I just want a rough idea of numbers.

Definitely after stoppages and freezing risk, and it will have to be a weekend. It'll also have to be as early as possible because I won't be around myself after March, 'cos we're buying a Gold license next year and sodding off to The Thames, Wey, etc.

Now then (whatever THAT means)- talking about a Bantor In The Anchor, I'll consider stepping up to the plate, but I need a show of hands.

That's not necessarily to say that you WILL come, just that you will if you CAN, if the dates, weather, injuries, trees down, canal closed, you had a puncture, etc, make it feasible.

THEN I can ask Olive if she'll lay summat on.

It's a small pub - I doubt she's going to host a huge event - and there's positively NO bad language allowed in there!

Takers please, no names taken. I just want a rough idea of numbers.

Definitely after stoppages and freezing risk, and it will have to be a weekend. It'll also have to be as early as possible because I won't be around myself after March, 'cos we're buying a Gold license next year and sodding off to The Thames, Wey, etc.

count me in

Well said that man!

I get really, really pizzed orf when blogs & etc talk in detail about the food in a pub and then, when it comes to the beer, say something like 'It was a nice pint'

And the place swarming with kids.

No children allowed in the Anchor, thankfully.

Edited by Loafer

Thanks Mac. Very interesting. You are definitely Pub Hound Of The Year!

I respect your views, and DEFINITELY applaud your emphasis on the BEER.

The Anchor (or 'Olive's', as it's known locally) therefore gets 4-5-8 = 17, from me.

4, 'cos the 6X is usually very good, occasionally excellent. As good as the brewery in Devizes.

5, cos I don't need anything else other than 6X

8, 'cos sometimes the fire goes a bit dim and I have to wear me coat, and the unshaded bulb in the 'tap room' means I have to wear my cap to keep the glare out of my eyes whilst trying to ogle Elaine.

ETA - occasionally the fire is so hot and roaring, we have to open the front door. But we do not complain. Complaining is barred!

Edited by Loafer

If it doesn't survive, it'll be because she's decided that she's too old. I doubt very much whether it will continue without her.

Praise the god of all

drink the wine

and let the world be the world.

I'll not return where I'm not welcome.

I wish them well.

And I don't look THAT bad :)

Rog

Praise the god of all

drink the wine

and let the world be the world.

I'll not return where I'm not welcome.

I wish them well.

And I don't look THAT bad smile.png

Rog

I'm a poet but I didn't realise it!

I'm almost certain that you WERE welcome, unless you really did look like a hideous bunch of smelly neanderthals!

I hope you give it another chance one day. Watch this space for a possible banter there!

ETA No guarantees though. I could be too busy loafing, to organise anything!

Edited by Loafer

Surely they should serve olives at least?

The last time I was in there, the person I was with ordered a soft drink, which was served with no ice. She meekly asked if she could have ice. Olive said nothing and walked off. We then stood waiting for about 5 minutes. I said that I didn't think Olive was coming back so we went and sat outside.

About 10 minutes later, Olive appeared with an ice cube on a saucer! Bless her!