The Anchor Inn Needs Your Help

Loafer

Featured Posts

attachicon.gif20140119-2300-2.JPG

I know that this pub at High Offley, Shropshire Union Canal, isn't everbody's cup of tea on this forum, but Olive, the 82-year old landlady, has asked me to help by posting the following on the forum:

The e-canalmapp App for the Midlands has this pub erroneously listed as 'CLOSED'. Consequently she has seen a big decline in customers this year, including (importantly) campers who used to bring their caravans and tents in the summer.

The Anchor Inn is NOT CLOSED! I told Olive that I'd ask you guys to take note and spread the word, if you know anyone who is remotely interested. Olive is attempting to have the app corrected, but so far after 3 months of reporting the issue, it still lists it as closed.

Winter opening hours are weekends only, Friday and Saturday evenings from 1900-2300 (often later!) plus Saturday and Sunday lunchtimes from 1200-1430 (often later!). Note: Closed on Sunday evenings.

Summer hours increase to weekday opening, both at lunchtime AND evenings.

Please help by passing this info onwards.

Those who complain of the pub hardly ever being open simply don't know her opening hours. They are regular and consistent, as listed above. She HAS been know to close early, but only if there's no customers.

Many thanks

Having yet to meet anyone who uses the app I would be really surprised if an error in just one of many sources of information would cause a big decline in customers.

Tim

• Greenie 1

Having yet to meet anyone who uses the app I would be really surprised if an error in just one of many sources of information would cause a big decline in customers.

Tim

Could be a coincidence, I suppose. But they ARE a bit worried about it affecting their little business, particularly the camping side.

Having just been playing with the app, it looks quite useful and doesn't require an internet connection (except to acquire it).

Tim

Me too, but it might be the straw that breaks the camel's back. A similar situation arises with the paper guides too - but one would obviously know that its only as up-to-date as its published date (at best), and could compensate for it by for example googling or phoning an establishment such as a pub or a boatyard. I know that Stretford Marine do diesel but its not in Pearson's, and they lose out because of it....

Are there enough people around this area to make it work? I've never been to a 'banter' - what's the form?

The form?

One arrives, by boat, car, foot, parachute, whatever.

'Refreshment' is taken in the chosen licenced venue while conversing with inmates of this 'ere forum that one may, or may not, have met before.

If 'Tawny Owl' is attending we play the 'how many people can you get on a 70' narrow boat game'.

Cheese will be eaten.

Songs will be sung.

A hearty, communal breakfast is usually organised.

Above all, a good time is had by one and all!

smile.png

(Hope this answers your question)

The form?

One arrives, by boat, car, foot, parachute, whatever.

'Refreshment' is taken in the chosen licenced venue while conversing with inmates of this 'ere forum that one may, or may not, have met before.

If 'Tawny Owl' is attending we play the 'how many people can you get on a 70' narrow boat game'.

Cheese will be eaten.

Songs will be sung.

A hearty, communal breakfast is usually organised.

Above all, a good time is had by one and all!

smile.png

(Hope this answers your question)

Yes it does, thanks. It might fail at the Anchor though - there's no food, although she'd do a buffet thingy if she thought it'd all go and be paid for.

Only visited once, looking through blurry beery eyes, marvelling at the wonderful wine selection (one wine box) superb catering (peanuts and crisps) and listening to great musicians with regular staggering to the outside, stale urine smelling gents, I felt I was in a time warp, straight back to my teens. I've always fancied a trip back in a time machine and this was the closest I've been, fantastic, wouldn't want it any other way.

Sort of related to the topic...My husband and I married in September and the day after the Wedding had a more relaxed "boaters" celebration - a convoy of 12 boats along the Shropshire Union, followed by drinks at The Anchor Inn. For anyone interested we also had a drone come and film/photograph the celebrations. http://www.aeriosmedia.com/blog/

Rebekah

Only visited once, looking through blurry beery eyes, marvelling at the wonderful wine selection (one wine box) superb catering (peanuts and crisps) and listening to great musicians with regular staggering to the outside, stale urine smelling gents, I felt I was in a time warp, straight back to my teens. I've always fancied a trip back in a time machine and this was the closest I've been, fantastic, wouldn't want it any other way.

The first time I went there, in the early 90's, Olive made us a cheese sandwich, when we asked for food.

Agree about the urinals. At that time they were painted in what looked like blacking!

Sort of related to the topic...My husband and I married in September and the day after the Wedding had a more relaxed "boaters" celebration - a convoy of 12 boats along the Shropshire Union, followed by drinks at The Anchor Inn. For anyone interested we also had a drone come and film/photograph the celebrations. http://www.aeriosmedia.com/blog/

Rebekah

The two photos in this thread were taken by my own drone. Someone in the pub mentioned your wedding and your drone!

Here lies the problem, to survive in today's pub world you need to attract customers. Whilst a few of us here may relish a visit to a pub with atmosphere, but not knowing if it going to be open no choice in drink, no food and foul toilets, the once in a blue moon whilst passing on our boats not many people do. I certainly woudn't want it to be my local. I am afraid that the public expect a higher standard in pubs.

As old as she is it is probably time for the landlady to pass the pub onto someone who may still be able to keep an atmosphere but to also make it a destination.

Tim

Edited by Tim Lewis

The first time I went there, in the early 90's, Olive made us a cheese sandwich, when we asked for food.

Agree about the urinals. At that time they were painted in what looked like blacking!

Ha! She'll still do a cheese sandwich!

Here lies the problem, to survive in today's pub world you need to attract customers and whilst a few of us here may relish a visit to a pub with atmosphere but with no choice in drink, no food and foul toilets once in a blue moon whilst passing on our boats, not many people do. I certainly woudn't want it to be my local. I am afraid that the public expect a higher standard in pubs.

At 82 it is probably time for the landlady to pass the pub onto someone who may still be able to keep an atmosphere but to also make it a destination.

Tim

That may be true, but it's a bit off-topic. Olive and Elaine aren't about to pass it on to anyone, and for many, it IS a destination. Certainly is for me, and the toilets are not 'foul', they're just yer average outdoor urinal. They're always very clean, if they do smell of wee a bit.

If I want a meal, I go to a restaurant. If I want a real pint in a real old pub, I go to a real old pub. And this one is one of the best I've ever used regularly. The locals love it, as do many boaters I know.

Just sayin'.

Edited by Loafer
  • Greenie 2

And when we went there this summer -- for the first time, based on enthusiastic recommendations -- the 6X was not exactly in the best of condition, we (real ale enthusiasts one and all) had a couple and then went back to the boat. Not actually bad enough to reject it, just stale and old-tasting, not at all what I'd expected (yes I know what 6X ought to taste like). It was especially disappointing since we'd planned the route carefully so we could stop there :-(

Maybe it's not always like this, but having an old pub stuck in a time-warp (the pub and atmosphere were lovely!) isn't such a good thing if the quality of the beer also harks back to the 1970s when "real ale" was often badly kept, leading to the dreaded keg revolution. A pub with limited opening hours and relatively small turnover can often have problems keeping the beer good, especially in summer -- though it wasn't that hot when we were there.

Anybody else had the same experience, or was this a one-off? I wouldn't go there again based on our visit, but maybe (hopefully?) we were unlucky...

^^^^^^

This. I have visited many hundreds of pubs around the waterways, sometimes several times over 30-odd years, and many have either vastly improved or shut during that time. Like you, I first visited The Anchor on enthusiastic recommendation (by Dr Bradley of this forum, actually). I gave it another chance about 3 years ago. I now avoid it when in the area. I wish the Anchor well, but it only survives on sentiment, really - pity, as it could be a really good pub.

^^^^^^

This. I have visited many hundreds of pubs around the waterways, sometimes several times over 30-odd years, and many have either vastly improved or shut during that time. Like you, I first visited The Anchor on enthusiastic recommendation (by Dr Bradley of this forum, actually). I gave it another chance about 3 years ago. I now avoid it when in the area. I wish the Anchor well, but it only survives on sentiment, really - pity, as it could be a really good pub.

It already is a really good pub, Mac. There are a lot of people round here worried about what's going to happen to it. I'm guessing that when Olive finally goes and runs God's bar, you won't be able to move up here for loyal followers in their boats. That is, if anyone can actually get in the pub for the local farmers and musicians.

They're great photos, especially the first one.

Thank you very much. Are you a Fuller from Stone? Lovely boats.

Edited by Loafer

It already is a really good pub, Mac. There are a lot of people round here worried about what's going to happen to it. I'm guessing that when Olive finally goes and runs God's bar, you won't be able to move up here for loyal followers in their boats. That is, if anyone can actually get in the pub for the local farmers and musicians.

Thank you very much. Are you a Fuller from Stone? Lovely boats.

I am (was) indeed, now a Parrott! Failed to work out how to change my name on here, though this is only my 6th or 7th post as I'm not an avid Forum poster!

Nothing damages a pub's reputation more severely than closing early when there are no customers. Any customer turning up expecting to get a drink during normal opening hours and finding it all locked up, learns pretty quickly not to go back.

It already is a really good pub, Mac.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on that. As you possibly know, I have my own scoring system for pubs, detailed last year and this on these forums, and if I were to score the Anchor on the same basis it would come out at 1+3+6=10 out of 20 - not the lowest I've experienced, but not enough for me to go back unless it improves.