Google CSE

Paul C

Featured Posts

Wow!

Can we have the Member Map use Google too?

Richard

The Member Map is an unsupported application, whether there is a viable replacement out there, I don't know. I do know its underused and has a number of issues which are not possible to resolve due to its lack of tech support.

CSE stands also for Certificate of Secondary Education - presumably a diploma in googling (if such a word exists yet, if it doesn't I'm sure it soon will).

The forum search feature has now been enhanced with the addition of a tab to directly use Google CSE (Custom Search Engine). If you do a search, the default is now Google but you can manually select the other types of search too.

CSE stands also for Certificate of Secondary Education - presumably a diploma in googling (if such a word exists yet, if it doesn't I'm sure it soon will).

The forum search feature has now been enhanced with the addition of a tab to directly use Google CSE (Custom Search Engine). If you do a search, the default is now Google but you can manually select the other types of search too.

Yes, Martin, your point being...?

...... diploma in googling (if such a word exists yet, if it doesn't I'm sure it soon will).

Of course it does! Keep up! From Dictionary.com:

verb (used with object), Googled, Googling.
(often lowercase) to search the Internet for information about (a person, topic, etc.):
We googled the new applicant to check her background.
verb (used without object), Googled, Googling.
(often lowercase) to use a search engine such as Google to find information, a website address, etc., on the Internet.

Although it seems to have involved the abandonment of 'transitive' and intransitive' as a result. Pity.

Blimey that explains why my attempts to find a possible old thread have suddenly started to do something else entirely.

So can anybody clever at these things find a thread in which I made refeence to someone who "hates wide beams"?

I think I probably did, but I'm bu$$ered if I can find it!

EDIT:

Actually lets make it a more serious question about how to use this new search.....

If I put

"hates wide beams" in the search box, and use the Google Custom Search, then I get no results, even though I know somebody has just used exactly that string in a thread......

So is that because Google itself doesn't yet know that someone has used that phrase on CWDF?

If so, if would appear this search wild not find very recently posted references...... Correct?

Edited by alan_fincher

Try increasing the variables i.e hate wide beams alan_fincher

I got " About 84 results (0.42 seconds) " with it

Yes, but I'm hoping for something a bit more targeted.

I don't really want to look through 9 pages of results that just happen to contain those four words, not necessarily in any way close to each other.

So can anybody clever at these things find a thread in which I made refeence to someone who "hates wide beams"?

I think I probably did, but I'm bu$$ered if I can find it!

Sorry I couldn't help, but I'm a bit stumped to come up with an operator to cover that variable. smile.png

How is it working now?

The old search remains, obviously, and I have found it to work well on other Invision based sites, but am always interested in feed back.

Can we have the Member Map use Google too?

That would be my preference too, however around the time bing-maps support was added to the 'member maps' add-on google changed the offered API making the implementation of that out of date, which is the reason for the switch. As Paul said, its a 3rd party add-on and apparently not overly well supported, so while I really like it the future is hazy. There may be one for version four, when we move to that in due course but I have not looked into this yet.

Daniel

Great minds think alike (fools seldom differ). My first thought was I want noting to do with it if I need an exam pass to use it!

[Thought better of it! - Lets see if it gets quoted!.....]

Or put another way - consider what you post when you have just had an excellent evening in the pub!.........

Edited by alan_fincher