Yet more opinions on boat.....

Ex-Member

Featured Posts

Thats a rough looking bunch in that picture, looks like they got up at 4 in the morning and started the day with a scotch rather than breakfast!.

This little diversion does show just how tricky it is to give advice to somebody else on whether a prospective boat is good or bad.

The OPs proposed boat does nothing for me, whilst I really like both Goliath and Clarrie. Things which might be a show stopper for some boaters are a trivial issue or even a big plus for others, and things change over time too. When I was first looking for a boat I would not have contemplated Goliath, whilst now if I was ever foolish to want to own two boats something like Goliath would be very tempting.

..............Dave

You have missed my point, which sometimes happens with the written word, I was trying to illustrate that some advice /comments help one to make a decision, e.g. mine regarding Liverpool Boats, I wasn't specifically criticising anyone else's choice or indeed their boat, I'm sure some people still have 3 wheel Reliant Robins and swear by them and, of course, when you join a forum like this, there are always the purists who you can never please. I once owned a VW Campervan which I bought from America. When it arrived it was pristine and really too good to drive and get damaged so I took it to a few of the big shows and kept winning 1st prize. It had articles in magazines about it and featured in a TV program. I fitted, in the engine bay, a small modern foam device to wipe the dipstick on and this caused the greatest concern/debate/ridicule, you would have thought I was the Anti Christ. I paid £20k for it and repeatedly received offers to buy it so 6 mths after I bought it I sold it for £40k, the guy who bought it wasn't bothered about the foam oil wiper!!!!!

Now here is a proper boat with crew and skipper.

Oh my goodness Laurie..yet another embarrassing picture of us all..

Dave is certainly showing a lot of chest..expect it was for the pink boat with the pink balloons on moored next to us !!!

You asked for opinions and of course got a lot of subjective views along with lots of I like it / I don't like it comments. This is not what you wanted, so it can be briefely summed up objectively:

OK shell builder. Looks a decent fitout but the camera can lie. Very over-priced.

Yes, I like it too, (apart from the cruiser stern, cassette bog and lack of a woodburner!)

When we've seen 'Goliath' on the BCN Challenge, with the crew out on the longer than average foredeck, we've said "Wouldn't it be nice if ours was longer"[/

When not steering the boat (or in the pub), I spend most of my time up at the front.

It's big enough to keep my dinner table there, which can sit 4 or 5 people. Great in the summer.

And having a Cratchcover means I can spend the winter there too, with the boat's doors open and a good fire going, it's very toasty.

Cheers

Glenn

Dave is certainly showing a lot of chest..expect it was for the pink boat with the pink balloons on moored next to us !!!

Ha ha!

I'd missed a whole page, only just seen

Thanks, brings back fun memories,

To the OP, I guess after weighing up everyone's opinion, follow your gut feeling.

If it ticks your boxes, have it.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Edited by Goliath

No, I'm afraid it didn't work, nothing in my inbox. :/

Hi Ally sent another PM but not sure why it isn't working. The boat is beautiful and I doubt will have to go to brokerage. I suspect it will be way above our budget but if they are looking for between £45 to 50k then I would be most definitely interested.....cash waiting in sweaty hands....

Looks like I am still having problems with PMs Thanks for the info and the advance notice, it is a beautiful boat but way above my limit I am afraid, it won't be around long though I suspect....

Have you asked the forum admin. to look at this yet, as suggested several posts back?

My opinion:

I am not keen on walk through bathrooms, although if there's only ever two of you it is probably fine.

Do make sure there are enough radiators - even in the summer it can sometimes be quite chilly, and being cold on a boat is not fun.

The fit out looks very classy.

Not sure if you read my post about the previous boat - the part about cross over beds - try the bed out by lying on it with a pillow - if your head or feet touch the sides, then you will wake up with aching knees from not being able to sleep fully stretched out.

I wouldn't ever have thought so from our previous experience of only hiring, but a cratch cover and a pram cover are a boon and increase the usefulness of those two spaces. Find out how much to add them if you purchase a boat without them.

Cheers, Marilyn

PS When we were looking for a boat I must have looked online at about 200-odd - we were buying from NZ so as we refined our search, we spoke to people at a couple of boatyards on the phone. They asked what the features were that we needed and what our experience was, what our cruising plans were and gave us good advice about boats on their brokerage (this one would be OK, this one wouldn't, this one looks better in the photos than in the flesh, this one is not for you, ...) If you haven't already, develop a relationship with a couple of them. We spoke often to the guys at ABNB, and also Boatfinder - the latter is who we bought from. We trusted them to give us good advice, even though they are making a living from selling boats. It is in the best interests of their own livelihood to be honest and helpful to purchasers as well as doing their best for vendors.

Edited by cherswud

Yes, I like it too, (apart from the cruiser stern, cassette bog and lack of a woodburner!)

When we've seen 'Goliath' on the BCN Challenge, with the crew out on the longer than average foredeck, we've said "Wouldn't it be nice if ours was longer"[/

When not steering the boat (or in the pub), I spend most of my time up at the front.

It's big enough to keep my dinner table there, which can sit 4 or 5 people. Great in the summer.

And having a Cratchcover means I can spend the winter there too, with the boat's doors open and a good fire going, it's very toasty.

Cheers

Glenn

Ah yes, breakfast followed by a bottle of whisky.

:)

post-9683-0-49473600-1448842982_thumb.jpg

post-9683-0-21666900-1448843029_thumb.jpg

And one of you chatting someone up.

smile.png

I took this picture while hiding behind the last pint of beer at Bradley workshop'

post-9683-0-52118100-1448843408_thumb.jpg

Edited by Laurie.Booth